Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 01:07 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

luzlanne -- we're so on the same page with a lot of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 03:35 PM

467 posts, read 664,945 times
Well otoh the kooky website of Karen Kellock, Ph.D., an expert on fasting:
KAREN KELLOCK's INSPIRING THEORIES OF HYPER-SYNCHRONICITY VS. THE HERD

Old 06-17-2012, 04:21 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Well otoh the kooky website of Karen Kellock, Ph.D., an expert on fasting:
KAREN KELLOCK's INSPIRING THEORIES OF HYPER-SYNCHRONICITY VS. THE HERD
OMG I just went to her website. Whatever she is selling I aint buying.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:07 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
luzlanne -- we're so on the same page with a lot of this.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
What makes sense so me is: Fat is stored on our bodies to be a source of fuel when we are without food. Before your body can start burning fat, it first has to burn all the glucose available (starches/sugars/simple carbs). So if you are eating every three or four hours, your body doesn't really have a chance to get rid of all the glucose and start burning fat. But if you eat one meal a day, you burn through all the glucose and are burning stored fat before the next meal. I guess a low carb diet would allow you to eat and still continue to burn fat because you'd be in ketosis and wouldn't be eating any carbs/sugars. Still you'd have to burn those calories before burning fat.
Yes, before I started to do this last week, I was on a low carb/gluten free diet for 8 weeks and lost a grand total of 6 lbs during that time--not even 1 lb/week. I have lost 5 this week alone from doing IF, so it's working. I have wondered if my body was so insulin resistant that it interpreted any food as sugar and kept my insulin up anyway. Whatever the case, I feel less IR now and I can tell b/c my heartbeats have calmed down.

Some of the medical benefits I found out about: 1. may help prevent alzheimer's--this is what alerted me to IF in the first place--I've been studying up on AD prevention b/c of my mother having it and much of the evidence is pointing to insulin resistance and inflammation as the likely culprits. IF reduces inflammation. 2. Increases HGH by up to 2000% in men and 1300% in women. HGH (your own--not the stuff on the market) will burn fat and increase muscle size and even tone your skin so you don't get the sagging from the weight loss. From wiki:
Quote:
In addition to increasing height in children and adolescents, growth hormone has many other effects on the body:
Increases calcium retention, and strengthens and increases the mineralization of bone
Increases muscle mass through sarcomere hyperplasia
Promotes lipolysis
Increases protein synthesis
Stimulates the growth of all internal organs excluding the brain
Plays a role in homeostasis
Reduces liver uptake of glucose
Promotes gluconeogenesis in the liver[30]
Contributes to the maintenance and function of pancreatic islets
Stimulates the immune system
The reason this works is b/c when you're hungry you produce more ghrelin and ghrelin stimulates HGH production. Also from wiki:
Quote:
Ghrelin plays a significant role in neurotrophy, particularly in the hippocampus, and is essential for cognitive adaptation to changing environments and the process of learning. . . Animal models indicate that ghrelin may enter the hippocampus from the bloodstream, altering nerve-cell connections, and so enhancing learning and memory. It is suggested that learning may be best during the day and when the stomach is empty, since ghrelin levels are higher at these times.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Why does this not surprise me?

Mercola has written some stuff on his site about fasting; here is one of his videos:

Benefits of Intermittent Fasting - YouTube

Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 PM

Anyone can write or say anything about anything and put it on Youtube or write a blog about it. This does not make them an expert. People can have personal experiences and feel strongly about what works for them. This does not make them an expert. People can make a product and try and sell it on the internet and that does not make them an expert. People can come up with crack pot ideas about diet and desperate people will be interested. That does not make them an expert.
The more wacky crap you post markymarc makes it clear you have a hard time telling facts from fiction.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:29 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Wow - you and me both - what a wacko!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Anyone can write or say anything about anything and put it on Youtube or write a blog about it. This does not make them an expert. People can have personal experiences and feel strongly about what works for them. This does not make them an expert. People can make a product and try and sell it on the internet and that does not make them an expert. People can come up with crack pot ideas about diet and desperate people will be interested. That does not make them an expert.
The more wacky crap you post markymarc makes it clear you have a hard time telling facts from fiction.
Well good luck on your hunt for the truth. Anyone can go to school, get a degree, work, learn new things, gain experience and still be a total idiot in your world.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Well good luck on your hunt for the truth. Anyone can go to school, get a degree, work, learn new things, gain experience and still be a total idiot in your world.
Of course people learn new things all the time. I learn new things all the time. However people who have somehow stumbled of on the keys to diet and exercise I do not put a lot of stock into. Everyone has a story. I am going to stick to the tried and true method that has worked just fine for me.
Until you can provide some peer reviewed data (and by that I do not mean a bunch of bloggers who agree with one another) that has been PROVEN to be successful for a significant amount of people I am not biting. You will also need to provide the same for the tried and true methods that you say do not work. Until you do that I am simply not interested in your pseudo intellect on this topic.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
One thing I know, low-carb was a fail.
Stepka, why was lo-carb a fail? I had wild success on low-card, higher-protein (I used the book "Protein Power", written by 2 MD's). The book also shows you how to ease off the diet gradually, so you don't gain the weight back, and how to do a maintenance diet. Which Low-carb diet did you try?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss