Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:28 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,142,103 times

Advertisements

My issue is I seem to have always struggled to keep my weight down. 5ft 8, and weighing about 210 Pounds. But despite that played 5 a side football, and went jogging, using the gym.

My Issue has always been appetite control. Heavy exercise required to shift weight stimulates appetite and makes you tired - its a vicious circle. The thought of skipping lunch or breakfast would just be horrible while others can eat a little.

Even whilst working in construction - on your feet 12 hrs per day, 5 or 6 days a week, shovellng and moving things - burning up much more calories than you could on any exercise programme - You lost weight and trimmed up - but still not truly slim, still a little chubby and overweight - whilst others work in offices take no exercise and are slim.

Whilst I have managed to get my weight down to 175 or 180, its always been a long battle with exercise and diet, I have never been truly slim. Whilst others just seem to eat as they please and don't put on much weight.

The only time I have truly lost weight is eating around 1200 cals per day, or maybe 1500 with regular exercise. Or one time when I ran Half Marathons and 10Ks and trained very hard for a 4 month period - but then again slow progress.

There my suggestion is if you want to lose weight for all of you - who struggle to lose weight and are more than 30 or 40 pounds overweight is ignore all the complicated diet and exercise programmes..

Simply eat around 1200 - 1500, or about 500 calories less than your BMR, or as low as you go comfortably, you might get down to 1000 - and stick to this for at least 90 days, and stick to gentle exercise until you can run and jog. just eat less of what you like.

As you lose weight you can increase the exercise, and the food a LITTLE. Then you can start the heavy exercise programmes.

Just reading all the diet advice, blood type diets, high protein diets, low carb, high carb, exercise programmes advising this and that, all claiming to be the way to go - all over the top and not sustainable.

Its really not that difficult - commit to eating less for 90 days and you will lose weight. I guess some out there will say this starvation mode etc etc - But I believe for whatever reason lots of overweight people out there just cannot eat 2000 calories a day and maintain there weight. All these diet and fitness literature is written with people who have good metabolism and their own body type in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 05:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,834,066 times
You preach common sense. That's worth a rep point! Preach on, brother Mikey, maybe some of the nay-sayers will listen if enough people tell them!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:57 PM

22,678 posts, read 24,669,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
My issue is I seem to have always struggled to keep my weight down. 5ft 8, and weighing about 210 Pounds. But despite that played 5 a side football, and went jogging, using the gym.

My Issue has always been appetite control. Heavy exercise required to shift weight stimulates appetite and makes you tired - its a vicious circle. The thought of skipping lunch or breakfast would just be horrible while others can eat a little.

Even whilst working in construction - on your feet 12 hrs per day, 5 or 6 days a week, shovellng and moving things - burning up much more calories than you could on any exercise programme - You lost weight and trimmed up - but still not truly slim, still a little chubby and overweight - whilst others work in offices take no exercise and are slim.

Whilst I have managed to get my weight down to 175 or 180, its always been a long battle with exercise and diet, I have never been truly slim. Whilst others just seem to eat as they please and don't put on much weight.

The only time I have truly lost weight is eating around 1200 cals per day, or maybe 1500 with regular exercise. Or one time when I ran Half Marathons and 10Ks and trained very hard for a 4 month period - but then again slow progress.

There my suggestion is if you want to lose weight for all of you - who struggle to lose weight and are more than 30 or 40 pounds overweight is ignore all the complicated diet and exercise programmes..

Simply eat around 1200 - 1500, or about 500 calories less than your BMR, or as low as you go comfortably, you might get down to 1000 - and stick to this for at least 90 days, and stick to gentle exercise until you can run and jog. just eat less of what you like.

As you lose weight you can increase the exercise, and the food a LITTLE. Then you can start the heavy exercise programmes.

Just reading all the diet advice, blood type diets, high protein diets, low carb, high carb, exercise programmes advising this and that, all claiming to be the way to go - all over the top and not sustainable.

Its really not that difficult - commit to eating less for 90 days and you will lose weight. I guess some out there will say this starvation mode etc etc - But I believe for whatever reason lots of overweight people out there just cannot eat 2000 calories a day and maintain there weight. All these diet and fitness literature is written with people who have good metabolism and their own body type in mind.
I cannot do the the low calorie thingy, below 2000 calories and I end up getting really cranky and weak. Low carb for me is great because I can eat a good amount and not get hungry.....and my body shows results in a short period of time.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,426,006 times
That cranky thing goes away after a few days. I had to do a two week liquid diet and was miserable the first 4-5 days, but it eventually went away and I lost 16 pounds in two weeks

and as far as the OP, weight loss is a personal thing. There is no one correct answer for everyone.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,973,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
That cranky thing goes away after a few days. I had to do a two week liquid diet and was miserable the first 4-5 days, but it eventually went away and I lost 16 pounds in two weeks

and as far as the OP, weight loss is a personal thing. There is no one correct answer for everyone.
You speak the truth. Everyone needs to find their own road. I started the Dukan Diet back in mid-May. Why? Because after investigation, it was something I felt I could do. The eating part was pretty easy. But the 20-minutes a day of walking was hard for me. I'm 75 y.o. and other than taking care of my house and my yard, it's been over two years since I did any type of walking beyond going to my car. I began to walk about three weeks into the plan, and then only to the corner and back.

Now, I'm 14 pounds down and I'm walking a little over a mile in under 20 minutes. That may not sound like much to you youngsters, but as a survivor of open-heart surgery and colon cancer, I'm kind of proud of myself.

Most diets require "counting" - calories, points, carbs, whatever. The only thing I want to count is pounds lost and miles walked!

Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,865,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post

Its really not that difficult
- commit to eating less for 90 days and you will lose weight. I guess some out there will say this starvation mode etc etc - But I believe for whatever reason lots of overweight people out there just cannot eat 2000 calories a day and maintain there weight. All these diet and fitness literature is written with people who have good metabolism and their own body type in mind.

Keep Dreaming buddy. Anybody can lose weight but hardly anyone keeps it off. If there was an easy way for permanent success, everyone would be doing it by now. Weight loss companies would have capitalized on it by now.

If it is not that difficult why do 98% of people who try to keep weight off fail?
Winning the lottery isn't that difficult either, all you have to do is pick the right numbers.
You will probably put the weight back on Mr. "I Lost Weight and Kept It Off for a Couple Weeks - So Now I'm an Expert."

Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,298,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Keep Dreaming buddy. Anybody can lose weight but hardly anyone keeps it off. If there was an easy way for permanent success, everyone would be doing it by now. Weight loss companies would have capitalized on it by now.

If it is not that difficult why do 98% of people who try to keep weight off fail?
Winning the lottery isn't that difficult either, all you have to do is pick the right numbers.
You will probably put the weight back on Mr. "I Lost Weight and Kept It Off for a Couple Weeks - So Now I'm an Expert."
But how much more would you weigh if you hadn't initially lost some on the diet? Just curious why it's so difficult to stabilize at a lower weight. Did you just pull 98% out of your tush or is that based on actual data?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,865,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Just curious why it's so difficult to stabilize at a lower weight.

Did you just pull 98% out of your tush or is that based on actual data?
You'll find out.

Based on actual data though I may have exaggerated a bit - it may be more like 97%.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,298,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You'll find out.

Based on actual data though I may have exaggerated a bit - it may be more like 97%.
I think you're numbers are still off a bit. According to Livestrong, it's 65% overall and 95% for "crash" dieters over a 1-3 year period. Another said 85% overall, perhaps over a longer timeframe. Atkins and WW folks fared a bit better at 71% and 62% respectively.

The Percentage Of People Who Regain Weight After Rapid Weight Loss & Risks | LIVESTRONG.COM

http://wellnessjunction.com/athome/w...trol/spark.htm

One factor may be your social support network. If you're around a bunch of poor eaters and fatties I'm sure it will be harder to maintain a good program over the long term. Also, you'd need to transform your thinking from "diet" to "good nutrition". Being a pretty good cook, I've not found controlling my carb intake particularly difficult or dissatisfying and don't seem to have any problem adjusting my weight loss by modifying my carb count. I also don't understand why one wouldn't weigh oneself every day or at least once a week. The scale's usually staring you in the face when you're on the john.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:49 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,973,940 times
Maintaining weight loss is difficult for many reasons. If we had never tasted cheesecake or lobster w/butter or a loaded baked potato; if Baskin Robbins Pralines and Cream had never crossed our lips; if brownie a la mode was foreign to our taste buds, then maintaining would be pretty easy. But knowing how pleasurable the fattening foods are can overwhelm our resolve and trap us into putting the pounds back on.
If the weight loss was to "look good" for a particular occasion, or to win a bet, there's little doubt that the motivation, while laudable, was not for a long-term goal. Even some people who undergo bariatric surgery have succumbed to the lure of food and have either put weight back on or have died.
As hard as it is to quit smoking, (I have first-hand experience), it is easier than losing weight. One can absent oneself from cigarettes and other smokers, but we need to eat, and it isn't always easy to eat only the right things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss