Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 AM

83 posts, read 133,754 times

Advertisements

Or one at least. Here is a brief overview:

I work out 6-7 times a week, varying core muscle work, long runs (7 mile runs 4-5 times per week) jump roping 4-5 a week for 30 minute sessions, and exercise bike for 30 minutes every other day. Obviously my routine is rigorous but it revolves around boxing so it is necessary. So naturally I also spend a lot of time on a heavy bag, speed bag, shadow boxing or pads. I am not asking for anyone to comment on that though.

My eating habits are also very healthy. Fruit, vegetables, lean meats, egg whites, almonds, grains, healthy cereal, etc... all make up my diet. However every weekend I like to have a day where I get a burrito bowl from Chipotle (extra chicken, mild salsa, sour cream, cheese, guac, black beans) as well as a 9 oz chocolate yogurt. I highly doubt giving my routine this will have much of an effect, if any, on my weight but I wanted to get some opinions.

Oh, I am 6'1 and around 172. Lean and I do have a good amount of lean muscle. I need to keep my weight around 168.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 AM

420 posts, read 1,371,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5991619 View Post

I work out 6-7 times a week, varying core muscle work, long runs (7 mile runs 4-5 times per week) jump roping 4-5 a week for 30 minute sessions, and exercise bike for 30 minutes every other day. Obviously my routine is rigorous but it revolves around boxing so it is necessary. So naturally I also spend a lot of time on a heavy bag, speed bag, shadow boxing or pads. I am not asking for anyone to comment on that though.

My eating habits are also very healthy. Fruit, vegetables, lean meats, egg whites, almonds, grains, healthy cereal, etc... all make up my diet. However every weekend I like to have a day where I get a burrito bowl from Chipotle (extra chicken, mild salsa, sour cream, cheese, guac, black beans) as well as a 9 oz chocolate yogurt. I highly doubt giving my routine this will have much of an effect, if any, on my weight but I wanted to get some opinions.

Oh, I am 6'1 and around 172. Lean and I do have a good amount of lean muscle. I need to keep my weight around 168.

Honestly, if you up the amount of fat in your diet, it may make everything even easier. But, why are you looking to change, are you noticing you dont have enough energy? Or are you hungry too oftem. I dont think a burrito bowl is going to mess up everything, but I think having a chipotle salad with the same is a bit healthier... But, hell, if you're working out that hard you deserve a burrito bowl IMO

Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 AM

12,974 posts, read 34,003,453 times
Your workout is very similar to mine.

Nothing wrong with the chipotle on weekends if your routine is as you say it is. As a trainer (and former Broadway gym member and coach) I say give yourself a day of complete rest per week every week. Also, I always get a bit worried about people who when they say what they eat list FRUIT as the very first thing. Fruit is NOT a free food and should not be eaten with the mindset of "Oh its healthy so I can eat a lot of it". Not saying you are this way but a LOT of people mistakenly think this way. I always keep fruit to a minimum - like one banana after cardio, half a grapfruit per day, blueberries in my oatmeal or cottage cheese.

168 means Super Middleweight if you are a boxer, what does your trainer say to eat? I would listen more to him than strangers on a website becase I can guarantee you that very few people here know about the nutrition that a boxer needs.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:30 AM

420 posts, read 1,371,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

Nothing wrong with the chipotle on weekends if your routine is as you say it is. As a trainer (and former Broadway gym member and coach) I say give yourself a day of complete rest per week every week. Also, I always get a bit worried about people who when they say what they eat list FRUIT as the very first thing. Fruit is NOT a free food and should not be eaten with the mindset of "Oh its healthy so I can eat a lot of it". Not saying you are this way but a LOT of people mistakenly think this way. I always keep fruit to a minimum - like one banana after cardio, half a grapfruit per day, blueberries in my oatmeal or cottage cheese.

168 means Super Middleweight if you are a boxer, what does your trainer say to eat? I would listen more to him than strangers on a website becase I can guarantee you that very few people here know about the nutrition that a boxer needs.

I agree, I really have no clue what a boxer needs to eat, I just dont think meat needs to be lean, or eggs need to be yolkless.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 AM

12,974 posts, read 34,003,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
I agree, I really have no clue what a boxer needs to eat, I just dont think meat needs to be lean, or eggs need to be yolkless.
I agree. People always like to type "lean meats" and "fresh fruits" whenever posting. Meat doesnt have to be lean and it kinda goes without saying that people want fruit that is fresh and not old.

I find it odd that a boxer would post this here and not on a site like boxingtimes or ringmagazine. Also, most trainers worth their salt would have this figured out for those they train. Unless they are professional and can hire strength and nutrition experts like a Mackey.

OP, where do you train?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah my fruit consumption is light, I also do a banana then maybe a half cup of blueberries per day or something. I also agree I need to give myself a day of rest. I try to work in an active rest day where I just do some yoga, take a walk, or a light bike ride just to get blood moving. What is your opinion on that?

Also, my main concern here was asking about whether or not my "junk days" would have much of an effect on my weight. I just wanted to give a snapshot of the full picture so you knew where I was coming from.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5991619 View Post

You should be fine, man. 6 1 and 172 is just right.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,585,428 times
Quote:
I agree. People always like to type "lean meats" and "fresh fruits" whenever posting. Meat doesnt have to be lean and it kinda goes without saying that people want fruit that is fresh and not old.
I type lean meats, because (not a boxer, BTW) I do try to eat lean meats - less calorie dense so less WW points, and also to improve my sat fat/unsat fat ratio (my doc wants to me to lower my ldl and raise my hdl). For similar reasons I will often though not always do yolkless eggs. Fresh fruits can mean vs juice or dried (thus higher in fiber relative to carbs) or not frozen/canned (thats another debate)

Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,429,058 times
168 is a little too light for that height, or it's getting really close. I went down to that weight last week while I was on vacation and took a lot of grief for it because I looked TOO thin. Even I could see it at that point. Plus you really start running out of pants that will actually fit when you're below 175. I can easily fit in size 30s, but it's hard to find them in the 34 length, which is probably what the OP is wearing since we are almost the exact same height and weight.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
168 is a little too light for that height, or it's getting really close. I went down to that weight last week while I was on vacation and took a lot of grief for it because I looked TOO thin. Even I could see it at that point. Plus you really start running out of pants that will actually fit when you're below 175. I can easily fit in size 30s, but it's hard to find them in the 34 length, which is probably what the OP is wearing since we are almost the exact same height and weight.
Haha true about the pants, but I hardly wear anything but basketball shorts. Also I should mention I just have a very lean build, I am not like extremely thin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss