Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 02:50 PM

218 posts, read 288,395 times

Advertisements

I agree you should add some fat into your diet. I eat a somewhat strict diet (low carb and unprocessed foods), but I do allow fats in the form of butter, coconut oil, and olive oil.

Some of my lunch/dinners:

Chicken breast and roasted asparagus

Pork Tenderloin and roast fennel w/parmesan

Salmon and french green beans

London Broil/sirloin/etc and caramelized onions and mushrooms

Tuna, tomatoes, cucumber, and feta cheese with balsamic vinegar/olive oil drizzle

Shrimp with zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and onions

I also eat bok choy, roasted artichokes, broccoli, etc

I find roasting vegetables with a wee bit of olive oil really brings out their flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:29 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,070,401 times
Nuts, seeds, humus, avocado, beans, quinoa, 1/2 a roasted sweet potato, small amounts of brown rice, grilled or roasted red, yellow and orange peppers with sliced fennel and onions, garlic, spices. I love kale salad (chopped fine) with walnuts, garbanzo beans, feta cheese, edamame, fresh pineapple (I don't use dressing but a drizzled spoon of fresh vinaigrette would be good - add 4 ounces of chicken breast if you like. Black bean and sweet potato soup - homemade - so filling and full of protein. I snack on farm fresh radishes, celery, a few carrots, cucumbers, pea pods and a small bowl of humus, guacamole or salsa. I have a fresh peanut butter sandwich every day - I sprinkle it with a little stevia and raw organic cocoa nibs and a few slices of banana - so good!

For breakfast I usually eat a whole cut-up grapefruit along with a small bowl of oatmeal topped with a mixture of raw nuts and seeds, almond milk and stevia - very filling and jam packed with vitamins and minerals - I put the seed/nut mixture together myself: raw organic sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, split hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, golden and brown flax seeds, kasha (toasted buckwheat), along with raw pecan, walnut and almond pieces.

Get creative and start introducing a wide variety of foods into your diet.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosagro View Post
Maybe steamed or grilled vegetables? They are delicious and full of macro- and microelements. You can find many good recipies in the Net. If you are a strict dieter use olive oil and seasonings (thank of them you will digest food quicklier).

And what is really important - the best ingredients are homegrown veggies. You can read about technologies which make gardening easier, for example on: Krosagro - Polish manufacturer of polytunnels, high tunnels and greenhouses
Olive oil....oil in general should be very limited or eliminated from your diet. Eat a diet that includes the foods Barberry and I outlined above and you won't need added oil. I would not suggest eating steak though if you are trying to lose weight. Compare the fat and calories of beef and chicken breast and you will understand what I'm talking about.

Get your vegetable oil from a diet rich in nuts, seeds and veggies rather than artificially adding bottled processed oil to your diet.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:59 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,567,194 times
I disagree with the no oil. Nowhere have I read to eliminate it, and in fact I have read and heard recently that coconut oil is healthy and good for you. I just used it to saute some chicken, garlic and onions, and added spices and it was delish!! And I know it's going to be part of my weight loss.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
For breakfast I usually eat a whole cut-up grapefruit along with a small bowl of oatmeal topped with a mixture of raw nuts and seeds, almond milk and stevia - very filling and jam packed with vitamins and minerals - I put the seed/nut mixture together myself: raw organic sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, split hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, golden and brown flax seeds, kasha (toasted buckwheat), along with raw pecan, walnut and almond pieces.

Get creative and start introducing a wide variety of foods into your diet.

Have you tried chia seeds soaked in almond milk?

I eat it for breakfast every morning. I add a bit of cinnamon and stevia for flavor. Sometimes I will add a little bit of Valrhona dark cocoa powder. Mmmmmm. You can make it dense like a tapioca pudding or more like a bubble tea.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberryPl View Post
Have you tried chia seeds soaked in almond milk?

I eat it for breakfast every morning. I add a bit of cinnamon and stevia for flavor. Sometimes I will add a little bit of Valrhona dark cocoa powder. Mmmmmm. You can make it dense like a tapioca pudding or more like a bubble tea.
Chia seeds are great - we hydrate them in a Tupperware container and use them in our nightly smoothies - they can also be used as an egg substitute in vegan cooking. We eat them every day!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I disagree with the no oil. Nowhere have I read to eliminate it, and in fact I have read and heard recently that coconut oil is healthy and good for you. I just used it to saute some chicken, garlic and onions, and added spices and it was delish!! And I know it's going to be part of my weight loss.
I sauté in water or stock - no need for oil - absolutely none - do some research and you will see....calories not needed.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:35 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,999,765 times
One of my favorite dinners is Filet Mignon with roasted brussel sprouts. I use this recipe, which may be too high in fat for you, but they are delicious: Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Bacon | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo®

Sometimes we mix cauliflower in with the brussel sprouts and use the same recipe.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Chia seeds are great - we hydrate them in a Tupperware container and use them in our nightly smoothies
That's a great idea.

OP, you should consider adding chia to your diet. It's very nutritious and high in fiber.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:40 PM

7,151 posts, read 12,699,149 times
Actually, potatoes can be a terrific diet food.

Not chips or French fries or homefries or mashed loaded with butter.

Nope, try a medium baked potato -- it has only 150 calories -- and loads of nutrients if you eat the skin.

The secret is not to load it with butter, sour cream and such.

Sometimes I top mine with some steamed green veggies and a bit of salsa. It's a very satisfying low-calorie meal that fills one up.

And inexpensive, too!

Another fav meal is a turkey burger (no bun) and a big green salad (mixed lettuces, sliced red peppers, cuke, carrots, broc florets, and whatever else strikes your fancy) with balsamic vinegar and a bit of olive oil for dressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss