Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
Actually, I read something recently that the difference in people who dies between the control and test groups were something like in group one something like 1.6% of the people died due to heart and in group 2 something like 2% died. it was a difference of around 3 people.

But, they used this data to say something like 20% more people die when cholestoral stays high arent used... even though the total wasnt statistically significant...

All I'm saying is dont take the abstract of a study, or the medias headline to explain what a study says...

I wish medical studies data was a bit more public.

I'll look for the article I read that in

Here

Watch this if you're interested

How Bad Science and Big Business Created the Obesity Epidemic
How Bad Science and Big Business Created the Obesity Epidemic - YouTube

And check out this article
What’s Cholesterol Got to Do With It? - New York Times

Oh, not Taubes again.

The impact of high LDL cholesterol, and high triglycerides, and low HDL, on CVD has been established in numerous studies, not just one.

But if YOU dont care about your LDL cholesterol, by all means ignore this thread. It did not assert that LDL is a problem. It discussed HOW to lower it for those of us who agree with the medical consensus that it IS a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 01:53 PM

420 posts, read 1,369,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Oh, not Taubes again.

The impact of high LDL cholesterol, and high triglycerides, and low HDL, on CVD has been established in numerous studies, not just one.

But if YOU dont care about your LDL cholesterol, by all means ignore this thread. It did not assert that LDL is a problem. It discussed HOW to lower it for those of us who agree with the medical consensus that it IS a problem.

Not all LDL is bad LDL... dont read the taubes article, thats fine. Watch the video though... its not like it just taubes who thinks this way.

I agree... taubes doesnt have everything right, and once its in print you have to stand behind what you write. I get that... but, do some research into cholesterol, read some actual studies, not just the abstracts, see where the good and bad science is...

Statins do soooo much bad, and have been almost completely proven to do nothing possitive... especially in women. They are more over prescribed then ADHD Meds for kids...

Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Statins do soooo much bad, and have been almost completely proven to do nothing possitive... especially in women. They are more over prescribed then ADHD Meds for kids...

Did you read the OP - we've got some alternatives to statins

anyway, this thread jacking is worse than most. Its supposed to be the soy haters on this thread, not the anti lipid hypothesis people.

Somehow the anti lipid hypothesis people NEVER seem to come out in force when someone explains that atkins lowered their LDL level. Hmmmm.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Did you read the OP - we've got some alternatives to statins

anyway, this thread jacking is worse than most. Its supposed to be the soy haters on this thread, not the anti lipid hypothesis people.

Somehow the anti lipid hypothesis people NEVER seem to come out in force when someone explains that atkins lowered their LDL level. Hmmmm.

Didnt mean to thread jack... saw someone mention the framingham study (which is the city I currently work in) and I;ve done excessive reading about it... thats the main reasons I jumped in. I usually dont comment on atkins threads in general... I'm in the process of learning more and more about other opinions out there... Other movements in science... Many Scientists feel cholesterol has gotten a bad wrap for no reason.

I can move on sorry... just passing on other info, seeing if anyone is interested in seeing other opinions about the heart from other well educated people in the medical field...(no, I'm not talking about taubes)

People are in a bad mood on here today for some reason
btw, I'm not a huge fan of soy either

Old 09-01-2011, 02:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Statins do soooo much bad, and have been almost completely proven to do nothing possitive...
If this was true, statins would have been discarded years ago. Instead, doctors continue to prescribe them to lower cholesterol. There is no doubt statins lower cholesterol significantly for most people.

Just because pharmaceutical companies make money and allegedly manipulate the medical community, doesn't mean their products don't perform as advertised.

For every one anonymous internet poster who condemn statins, there are 69 doctors who prescribe them.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If this was true, statins would have been discarded years ago. Instead, doctors continue to prescribe them to lower cholesterol. There is no doubt statins lower cholesterol significantly for most people.

Just because pharmaceutical companies make money and allegedly manipulate the medical community, doesn't mean their products don't perform as advertised.

For every one anonymous internet poster who condemn statins, there are 69 doctors who prescribe them.
I didnt say they dont lower cholesterol, but... what I am saying is that is doesnt prevent heart attacks and heart disease
I know, every doctor prescribes them... thats the issue. Also, the magic number (is it 240 now?) determined to say, this is when you should start taking them, is littered with bad science...

Cholesterol is important

Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
I didnt say they dont lower cholesterol, but... what I am saying is that is doesnt prevent heart attacks and heart disease
I know, every doctor prescribes them... thats the issue. Also, the magic number (is it 240 now?) determined to say, this is when you should start taking them, is littered with bad science...

Cholesterol is important

Then why do doctors with thousands of man-years of medical training and research and billions in research and support from the AMA and ACC continue to prescribe statins? Why, as a person who is not medically trained, would I refute what these experts recommend and accept what I read from an internet forum?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Then why do doctors with thousands of man-years of medical training and research and billions in research and support from the AMA and ACC continue to prescribe statins? Why, as a person who is not medically trained, refute what these experts recommend and accept what I read from an internet forum?

I'm not asking you to accept what you read on an internet forum... I hope no one is that easily lead...

I'm saying there may be more to it, and there are other hypotheses out there worth considering, or atleast researching yourself.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
There've been tons of cases where doctors regularly prescribed medications that were later found to be ineffective and even dangerous. From what I've been reading statins fall into the former category. The FDA quite often pulls drugs off the market when this is realized and definitely once they hit the danger level.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:30 PM

this discussion of statins makes me want to eat a soy burger on an oat grain bun, with a side of nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss