Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 05:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

Douglas Graham: created the diet, and profits from selling the book, the diet, the recipe guide, DVDs, seminars, etc. etc. He is also not a licensed nutritionist; he is a chiropractor.
**Kloss: Authors of Back to Eden, which emphasizes raw foods, no spices or seasonings of any kind, unleavened tack (bread), no liquids other than water and never during meals, regular cold-water enemas and cold-water pressure showers daily. It is an extreme minimalistic lifestyle, which has little to no practical application outside of back woods farm environments exist.**
Kordach: It's Kordich, and he invented, and profits from the sale of the juicer he promotes. He's also one of the forefathers of the whole Juicing phenomenon, and emphasizes raw vegan living, with carrot juice (which is not a fruit) being a primary ingredient.
Bragg: never received any formal education in the medical or nutritional fields, though he managed to create and support a successful commercial empire revolving around water fasts, juicing, and organic foods. A woman claiming to be his daughter but is most likely his ex-daughter-in-law, having married and divorce his son, now runs the empire. She also has no medical expertise, and is merely a successful businesswoman.

**I actually have a copy of this book and I've read it cover to cover. When I got to the part where they described how to make your own bean curd from scratch, and how to create your own soy milk from the run-off of the curd process, my eyes glazed over. Regardless, the emphasis is on vegetarianism as a whole, and not merely vegetarianism, but raw-food veganism. Not "frugivore" or "Fruitarian" or whatever the current catch-phrase is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM

192 posts, read 250,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Sorry, I'm going with AnonChick on this one. Evidence of primates eating meat in the wild (usually insects) is abundant, not just.... "cherry picked."
You just cherry picked. Like Anon asked me "WHICH primates?"

Example (#2): Mountain gorillas eat meat(there's not enough fruit in the mountains). Tropical gorillas DO NOT (LOOK IT UP)

And as you say I'm doing, your also saying a lot of words, but no proof. ....and not really saying much.

Quote:
a website that obviously is pushing an agenda (30bananasaday?!)
And their agenda is to get people to eat healthier and cut through societys' delusions.
Quote:
Graham is also not a licensed nutritionist
Right: The 80/10/10 book is not about nutrition, it's about physiology, chemistry and nature. What was your point?

David Wolfe is about the most formally educated person on nutrition. He eats Cacao(chocolate) for breakfast, and doesn't exercise much and doesn't promote it. Exercise is very important. So much for formal education.

I didn't say Graham, Kloss and Korach were masters of truth; I said they are healthy, fit and long-lived on a high-fruit diet (that's observing reality)

My new motto: Come'on People! Eat naturally, and get happy Drop the eggs and instead.....enjoy Life! Get on your bikes and Ride

Last edited by Sacman; 09-12-2011 at 12:53 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 12:59 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1. Just because you made it bold, doesn't make it true.
2. Orangutans: as I posted already, they DO include insects in their diet. And all kinds of things in addition to fruits. Purposefully.
3. Bonobos: primarily frugivorius, however they also eat meats such as flying squirrils and other small vertibrates. Purposefully.
4. Tropical gorillas: fruit makes up only around 25% of their diet, and only when it's available. They eat mostly leaves, and enjoy ants - which is an animal. Purposefully.
5. Monkeys: again - depending on what's available at the time, they will eat anything from leaves, shoots, roots, insects, small reptiles, fruits, and eggs. Purposefully.

Bonus: You're thinking of chimpanzees, who thrive on fruit as their -primary- source of food, though they will ALSO eat other sources of nutrition. None of the primates you mentioned eat primarily fruit, and only the bonobo (among the ones you singled out) prefers fruit, though even the bonobo will, and does, enjoy meat, and can digest it just fine.

This information is readily available to you with a quick google search, or by checking the Encyclopedia Britannica, or with National Geographic magazines, or on wikipedia.

A frugivore is any type of omnivore or herbivore that feeds primarily on fruit, whether by design, availability, or preference. Fruit bats are frugivores. Chimpanzees are frugivores. Bonobos, monkeys, orangutans, and humans - are not. Gorillas are primarily herbivores, though they will also eat meat in the form of ants, which they actually like, and other small insects.

Again - this information comes from any of a variety of resources.

The term "Fruitarian" is a subset of veganism that revolves around eating fruits, nuts, seeds, and avoids meat, vegetables, and grain.

Humans, once they evolved into "humans," have been omnivorous from the start. Prior to our evolution from ape to man, we were not man. We were ape. And even then, we weren't frugivore; we were herbivore-leaning omnivores.

This information comes from - you guessed it - a variety of resources, from National Geographic magazine, to World Book Encyclopedia, to Grey's Anatomy-Physiology, to random and sundry articles and scientific publications on evolution, to the remarkably unreliable, though often accurate wikipedia.

As for the nonsense about physiology: you're getting your information from a website that profits by convincing suckers that their supplements/book/summer camp/product/lifestyle/scam is worth paying for. If a world reknowned cardiologist had truly "shattered" the human omnivore "myth," then it would be shattered. And the known world of medical science would say "OMGWTFLOL WE WERE WRONG MAKE EVERYONE EAT FRUTEZ!!!1111" and the supplement companies would have a field day selling all the supplements that humans require when they stop eating anything other than fruit, and the laxative companies would rejoice, for all these people eating 30 bananas a day would need something to eliminate the constipation, and the government would party their butts off after "saving" us all from our own folly by outlawing milk and cheese once and for all, and taxing Tropicana to the hilt. And the CDC would be grateful for a whole new budget to keep them in business while they re-draw their food pyramid. Again.

But - none of these things have happened, or are in the process of happening, or even being considered as a possible future happening. The only people who think a primarily-fruit diet is a good idea, are the people who are eating a primarily-fruit diet. And - the people who are trying to sell suckers on the idea that a primarily-fruit diet is a good thing.
For the win! You are right, if it can make people money, they would be ALL over it!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
ALL gorillas eat insects. Insects are animal, not plant. ALL gorillas eat foliage. Leaves are NOT fruit. Eastern Lowland gorillas, which are not mountain gorillas, also eat their own - and other gorillas' feces, in addition to foliage, fruits, and insects.

There are only two species of gorilla: the eastern and the western. There is a subspecies of the eastern gorilla called the mountain gorilla. NONE of them are referred to, or called, "tropical gorillas."

Your information is wrong. Feel free to check out -all- websites -except- for the ones that promote specific human diets, and you will learn what most people who've taken geography and history in elementary school have known. This isn't news, it's not some hidden secret. It's information that's been available since before the advent of the internet, and the information has not changed.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 PM

192 posts, read 250,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Anon, You are right, if it can make people money, they would be ALL over it!
I also agree: There's no money in promoting fruit, because there's not much money in the fruit business. There's no money to pass under the table, unlike promoting meat. The meat ind is very rich. In a fitting parallel, meat is rich people food(America's 'rich' compared to the ave. nation). Fruit is poor-man's food (homeless eat it cause it's easy to get (pick or find in the trash behind stores)

So I don't get the mindset of 3Wolves. Is this another case of seeing things the way we want to?

And 3wolves quoted a large amount of anons writing (repetitive marketing to sway the reader??? I understand the dis-belief and a little na-saying. But anon did a LOT of writing.

So the reader should wonder: Why do they care so much about keeping people afraid to cut animal products. My agenda is clear: my advice would make a difference. What's there agenda? Their advice would simply keep the status quo.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:21 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Experimenting with Just eating one Lunch time meal or an Evening Meal - in order to lose weight. I have tried to lose weight before and its always a struggle- but this is the only way I think which will work for me

Before you scream "starvation mode" - I intend to eat Fruit for breakfast, and fruit or veg in the evening or at lunch time - not huge amounts perhaps two bananas for breakfast, and apples and pears - Plus might use celery and carrots for snacking. This way it keeps the calorie total down. I think it manageable with fruit and water.

So far I feel fine - as long as I have fruit available, about 4 to 5 per day on top of the meal - Ok course I was a little hungry, and fruit does not give the feel good feeling like pizza. But you can have teas, coffee, diet cokes etc

The benefits are :

When you go out to eat a meal - you can eat a decent meal, not have to order a salad, or small portion - and then you get everyone asking are you on a diet or something.

As I lose weight - and my stomach shrinks - then the size of the evening meal will decrease - even now I feel a little bloated if eat something to big.

Its more natural to have one good feed, this eating little 6 times per day, and not having a decent meal - is not enjoyable and boring - of course its equally important not eat too much at the meal.

This feels for me a natural weight loss method - not a contrived, calorie counting, or avoiding one type of food, - all not sustainable.

You can drink an a few beers at the weekend - without worrying about the calories too much.
Google search Fast 5 diet, or Intermittent Diet. The idea is to eat your daily calories in a small window frame of the day, example 5pm to 10 pm.

The idea also deviates from the eating small meals throughout the day. One of the argument was that back in the caveman days, man does not all of a sudden lose his energy to hunt. Something like hunt - eat a meal - sleep.

During the time the man is not eating and using energy hunting, he does not become depleted of energy because he has energy stores found in body fat and lean muscle. There were also studies about metabolic rate remains the same even for subjects who fasted for 36 hours.

Anyway, I tried some hybrid version for it and had good results. I like that I do not need to plan and prep more small meals throughout my day in the office.

I did skip breakfast. I work from 6am to 3pm. I ate my first meal between 12 to 2 pm. Snack at 3pm. Hit the gym around 4-4:30, home by 6pm for my biggest meal, and eat my remaining daily calories by 8:30pm.

I do drink caffeine in the morning. I helped drinking 1/2 cup black coffee with 1/2 water in one shot around 8am and 10am. And I do drink iced tea (green usually) that I prepare for the rest of my day time drink.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,336 times
Default 1 main meal a day

Hello, i read your thread about eating one main meal a day, and i want to begin this diet, but i want to know, does it actually work? as in, how much weight did you loose in a week by just sticking to this?

thank you, sarah

Old 03-21-2013, 04:58 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraahlouise40 View Post
Hello, i read your thread about eating one main meal a day, and i want to begin this diet, but i want to know, does it actually work? as in, how much weight did you loose in a week by just sticking to this?

thank you, sarah

No, it doesn't work.

Eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. Find out what your max calories a day should be, and stick to it.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Experimenting with Just eating one Lunch time meal or an Evening Meal - in order to lose weight. I have tried to lose weight before and its always a struggle- but this is the only way I think which will work for me

Before you scream "starvation mode" - I intend to eat Fruit for breakfast, and fruit or veg in the evening or at lunch time - not huge amounts perhaps two bananas for breakfast, and apples and pears - Plus might use celery and carrots for snacking. This way it keeps the calorie total down. I think it manageable with fruit and water.

So far I feel fine - as long as I have fruit available, about 4 to 5 per day on top of the meal - Ok course I was a little hungry, and fruit does not give the feel good feeling like pizza. But you can have teas, coffee, diet cokes etc

The benefits are :

When you go out to eat a meal - you can eat a decent meal, not have to order a salad, or small portion - and then you get everyone asking are you on a diet or something.

As I lose weight - and my stomach shrinks - then the size of the evening meal will decrease - even now I feel a little bloated if eat something to big.

Its more natural to have one good feed, this eating little 6 times per day, and not having a decent meal - is not enjoyable and boring - of course its equally important not eat too much at the meal.

This feels for me a natural weight loss method - not a contrived, calorie counting, or avoiding one type of food, - all not sustainable.

You can drink an a few beers at the weekend - without worrying about the calories too much.
You should be able to maintain this for at least a week.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:15 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I love old threads that are suddenly brought back to life! The OP is still a regular poster here; perhaps we should ask him for an update?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss