Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:59 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,213 times

Advertisements

Experimenting with Just eating one Lunch time meal or an Evening Meal - in order to lose weight. I have tried to lose weight before and its always a struggle- but this is the only way I think which will work for me

Before you scream "starvation mode" - I intend to eat Fruit for breakfast, and fruit or veg in the evening or at lunch time - not huge amounts perhaps two bananas for breakfast, and apples and pears - Plus might use celery and carrots for snacking. This way it keeps the calorie total down. I think it manageable with fruit and water.

So far I feel fine - as long as I have fruit available, about 4 to 5 per day on top of the meal - Ok course I was a little hungry, and fruit does not give the feel good feeling like pizza. But you can have teas, coffee, diet cokes etc

The benefits are :

When you go out to eat a meal - you can eat a decent meal, not have to order a salad, or small portion - and then you get everyone asking are you on a diet or something.

As I lose weight - and my stomach shrinks - then the size of the evening meal will decrease - even now I feel a little bloated if eat something to big.

Its more natural to have one good feed, this eating little 6 times per day, and not having a decent meal - is not enjoyable and boring - of course its equally important not eat too much at the meal.

This feels for me a natural weight loss method - not a contrived, calorie counting, or avoiding one type of food, - all not sustainable.

You can drink an a few beers at the weekend - without worrying about the calories too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 12:15 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
That is horrible all the way around dude. Fruit should always be eaten at a minimum. Too much sugar. You need to learn how to eat for HEALTH instead of eating for STARVATION.

Good luck with your unhealthy diabetic creation diet.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:28 PM

388 posts, read 848,727 times
I used to do that as a teen, but it ruins metabolism.

If its something you think you want to do long term, than whatever works for you, but I doubt that its something you'd be able to maintain.

Seems like weight is your goal, what about working out? You wont have near the nutirents you'll need to get good workouts in with that.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
I predict this will be just a memory for you about two weeks from now.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:42 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
That is horrible all the way around dude. Fruit should always be eaten at a minimum. Too much sugar. You need to learn how to eat for HEALTH instead of eating for STARVATION.

Good luck with your unhealthy diabetic creation diet.
Your wrong - there are lots of people who don't eat breakfast, or miss lunch just with their natural appetite - and they are the ones who are usually thin and never put on weight.

People who are thin - usually overall just eat less than fat people - they may say that they eat whatever they want - but if they have a large meal then the next day they eat less or miss breakfast

Animals in the wild, and indeed I am sure a few hundred years ago people perhaps only 1 large meal a day, and small snacks.

I don't see why its unhealthy - Fruit/ or veg in the morning - and the same at lunch time - and then a decent sized evening meal. Fruit and veg are healthy, have vitamins, nutrients - it could be supplemented with a multivitamin.

Fruit/snack - 300 - 400 cals per day.

Main meal - 700 - 1000 Cals per day

Thats 1100 - 1400 cals per day - thats around weight watchers, or what health and fitness people recommend.

The problem with me is - I can eat a large breakfast, Large Lunch and a Large evening meal - and could probaly do that everyday - therefore best to save myself for one decent evening meal.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I'd love to eat 6 times a day, but as it is, I am not hungry first thing in the morning and I often wind up having to miss lunch because, hey, you can't say, "Sorry Mr Man, you just keep having your heart attack over there because I need to have a sammich now." So it's the occasional power bar, keeping water near my desk...but eating in the most healthy sensible manner would mean having to get an entirely different line of work.

Op, fill up on veggies. Not fruit.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:49 PM

388 posts, read 848,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Your wrong - there are lots of people who don't eat breakfast, or miss lunch just with their natural appetite - and they are the ones who are usually thin and never put on weight.

People who are thin - usually overall just eat less than fat people - they may say that they eat whatever they want - but if they have a large meal then the next day they eat less or miss breakfast

Animals in the wild, and indeed I am sure a few hundred years ago people perhaps only 1 large meal a day, and small snacks.

I don't see why its unhealthy - Fruit/ or veg in the morning - and the same at lunch time - and then a decent sized evening meal. Fruit and veg are healthy, have vitamins, nutrients - it could be supplemented with a multivitamin.

Fruit/snack - 300 - 400 cals per day.

Main meal - 700 - 1000 Cals per day

Thats 1100 - 1400 cals per day - thats around weight watchers, or what health and fitness people recommend.

The problem with me is - I can eat a large breakfast, Large Lunch and a Large evening meal - and could probaly do that everyday - therefore best to save myself for one decent evening meal.
You are right about a few things, but I think your perception may be a bit skewed.

As for animals and people that lived hundreds of years ago, yes they survived on very little food. Animals still do to this day. They would go days without food and once they ate again the body is designed to store that food until the next time they get to eat.

Ok, Im pretty sure most people know that. Now as I already said, if you are planning to do this the rest of your life, you may lose weight and live to 100, but I highly doubt that is possible. You will not be able to maintain the lifestyle of eating only one meal a day. An apple for breakfast and a bannana for dinner will not fill keep you full until your next big meal.

And once you ever get away from eating the just one meal a day, your bodies metabolism will be ruined and you will end up having to gain more wieght than what you had lost.

Weight watchers and those other diet plans that call for low calories are done over the entire day with foods that help you feel fuller longer as to keep you from, one, binge eating because you feel starved, and two, keep your body from feeling it is starving and going into that fat-saving mode.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:07 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Definitely need to look for different fruits. The concept isn't bad, but the choice of foods is absolutely awful. Bananas and apples are some of the worst fruits for sugar. Stick to berries or melons and eat a lot more vegetables and fewer fruits. All that sugar is just going to spike you all over the place and you'll feel miserable.
It would also be wise to throw some lean meats in there, like beef jerky. That may not sound right, but trust me, it's one of the best snacks out there. Tons of protein and very low fat and calories and it tastes outstanding (assuming you like beef). Just make sure you get the right ones, which are the majority, but a few of them are very bad and loaded with fat and calories. Some seafood and poultry will help a lot too. Also stay away from bread, potatoes, and pasta (unless it's Dreamfield brand). All that along with some good exercise (get your heart rate up) will get you on the right track and feeling a lot better in no time.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:15 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
I eat fruit for breakfast quite a bit. I usually have milk, yogurt, nuts or a slice of peanut butter toast with it. If I am hungry I have an egg too. You should worry about getting in enough protein with that diet more than fruit sugar. Fruit is perfectly fine in moderation. Its not healthy to avoid any food groups. They all have their proper portions. If you have bread go with whole grain. Same with pastas. Potato is fine too in moderation. For better calorie guidance you should go with your BMR calories and spread them through the day. Try to not have a very large calorie load for dinner. Its ok to have the bigger meal but keep it under 500 for best results in weight loss and easy digestion.

I personally don't like large breakfasts either. I like mine to be around 200-300 calories. You need to just get over the restaurant portions thing. You can have healthy options other than a salad. Or just be conservative in what you eat off your plate. If you do overeat just shave the extra calories off during the week by trading a fruit snack for a green vegetable snack. Or you can exercise off half (or all) on a bike within the following week with a couple fruit switch outs.

If this is how you want to eat and need flexibility for beers and weekend meal you should count the calories of what you eat. It will prevent being on a yo-yo path. Fruits vary greatly in calorie content and then throw in beers and restaurant food....that is just too much variation to expect consistent results. So if you see that scale yo--yo happening use calorie counting to see what your choices are adding up to.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:56 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
You should listen to your body. IF this does not leave you feeling hungry much of the day, and IF it doesnt leave you feeling stuffed after your one big meal, it might work, and could fit into the WW approach. I myself prefer 3 meals (which may or may not be mostly fruits and veggies, but almost always include SOMETHING else) plus an occasional snack. I know someone who tries to skip breakfast and lunch, and just a big dinner, and they have had uneven weight loss, but that could be them and not you.

I would note that on WW (In weight loss mode), eating 3 meals a day, I was usually able to squeeze in a beer or glass of wine or two on the weekend, using my weekly points.

Weight watchers and those other diet plans that call for low calories are done over the entire day with foods that help you feel fuller longer as to keep you from, one, binge eating because you feel starved, and two, keep your body from feeling it is starving and going into that fat-saving mode.

The key to WW (aside from tracking, variety, etc, etc) is listening to your body. Eat to a feeling of satiety, but not beyond. Don't go around feeling hungry much less starving, but also dont keep eating after you are sated, till you are stuffed. How that fits with different temporal patters of eating can vary for different individuals, though WW tends to lean towards eating several meals a day.

I typically have a two to five point breakfast (a single high fiber WW yogurt is two points, a cup of cheerios with a cup of skim milk and berries would be 5 points) but my wife prefers a heartier 7 or 8 point breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss