Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:54 PM

278 posts, read 577,389 times

Advertisements

Running every morning for two months at a high school track, started out running one lap, walking rest to total 2 miles. Have made it to the point where I am able to run the 2 miles and am walking to complete 3 miles of exercise. Usually done in roughly 45 minutes. Also will walk bleachers, sidestep them too. I have firmed up, but only lost 8 lbs. I know this is a healthy amount of lose, going to slow for my taste.
I am eating healthy as well, I am trying to make a lifestyle change, more than a quick diet thing. I would like to drop 30 lbs. even if that is next summer. Any success stories out there going at this pace?

Hate to run but feel very successful when I am done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 11:59 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,408,484 times
8 pounds in two weeks, especially with exercise that is most likely building up muscle, isn't bad at all. Slow and steady is a much better pace than quick off and quicker back on. I'd say keep on track (pun intended ) and enjoy the health benefits. I also hated to run, but now I get real cranky if I go more than a few days without it.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,538,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
8 pounds in two weeks, especially with exercise that is most likely building up muscle, isn't bad at all. Slow and steady is a much better pace than quick off and quicker back on. I'd say keep on track (pun intended ) and enjoy the health benefits. I also hated to run, but now I get real cranky if I go more than a few days without it.
it says 2 months, not 2 weeks.

I congratulate the OP for waking up so early, i dont think i could do it. I walk too, but only 3 times a week and around 7 pm.
Good thing is that you are not only losing (though a little bit slow) you are firming up your body!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM

Yeah, I read two months, thought two months, and wrote two weeks.. go figure

Old 09-06-2011, 05:16 PM

Over my teen/adult years I have done a lot of different diets over the years. The weight has never been so slow to come off. I have played back and forth with ten or twenty pounds. I am thinking maybe this time I am doing it right and won't have to do it again if I stay the course. I have just hit 51, and I don't mind it at all, but don't want this junk in my trunk! Thank you for the encouragement.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,727,994 times
Eight pounds in two months is a perfectly fine rate of weight loss. Congratulations!

As I get older, my workout time keeps moving earlier and earlier. Last year I went from working out at noon to working out before work, trying to get to the gym by 6:00. We had some schedule changes at home and I started trying to get there by 5:45. Now with school started again I'm getting there at 5:30 so I can get everything done. It's miserable when the alarm goes off, but I feel pretty cocky when I'm walking out with my workout over at 6:30 a.m.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:56 AM

Finishing never felt so good, as it does after working out. I appreciate the encouragement. Our nest is empty, we enjoyed raising them, but we are very much enjoying this phase too. It makes it so much easier to have the meals you should eat when there is only the two of us. Like last night, even though we had run in the morning we went back and walked another 2 miles. We have weight lifting equipment in storage, (I know that does not work) we are limited on space and trying to decide where we could put it to use it. Right now it looks like the screen porch is the only option.

I suggested the living room, nothing goes on in there. DH did not like it said where will the people sit someday when his mother dies? I had suggestions that I did not air!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,489,851 times
One pound a week is healthy.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 AM

Update:
I weighted on a doctor's scales today, I was down 20 lbs. and I have weighted on his scales in the spring, so I guess I can trust the number. My scales at home maybe in the trash tonight. Anyway I finally have some proof that my 5:30 AM run is worth it. That still works out to a pound a week, and I will take it. Yes my clothes had gotten a bit roomy, but that number on the scale helped a lot.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 AM

My most valuable running tool is my Garmin GPS watch. I have the 305, which is kinda bulky, but it was a lot cheaper than the 405 at the time. No matter what, these things are great. It keeps track of EVERYTHING for you, so no more guessing how far you ran, what your heart rate was, how high you ascended, your max speed, calories burned etc. It keeps track of a lot of your past runs too, but I don't know how far back it will go. I got mine around last Christmas and all that info is still there. You can also plot it on Google Earth just to make things look really impressive (when you run far enough).

Prior to getting this, I was going out in my car or motorcycle and measuring how far I ran and that is a PITA. Now I can mix things up as far as where I go and I know exactly how far I've gone on the fly. I also know my pace at that particular time, so no more guessing how fast I'm going or whether I'm really flying or dragging my tail. Only problem with it so far is the bulk, but it's really not that bad, I'm just very sensitive to any weight at all when I'm running.

As far as a scale, I highly recommend the Omron HBF-516 Amazon.com: Omron Body Composition Monitor With Scale: Sports & Outdoors I've been using it since before I had my GB surgery and it has been great. It also keeps a history and measures BMI, weight, muscle and fat %, body fat, visceral fat, "body age", and quite a few other things. Only two issues I've had with it so far are the initial set of batteries that came with it didn't last long at all and it will no longer measure body fat now that I'm below 5%. I don't really need all those functions now, though, because it's pretty obvious that I no longer have an issue with fat..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss