Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,030,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is also no point in a diet that cannot be maintained permanently. The weight just comes back when you stop the diet. Which is the big problem with Atkins.
History has proven that most people can't maintain success by simply eating less and exercising more, which is the big problem with that advice.

I wouldn't presume to tell people that the only way to lose weight is to cut carbs, but I think for many people who struggle with weightloss it is the best solution. I've experienced it first hand. Especially those who have tried and failed to simply eat less and move more. And again, from a physics perspective, a calorie equal a calorie equal a calorie, but in the real world, they can have a vastly different impact on your body due to the different effects on blood sugar and insulin production.

Last edited by MUTGR; 02-20-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 04:48 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Also, I put quotation marks around the word "need" to emphasize. People who are moderately overweight, or slightly overweight, do not "need" to lose weight. They are not at high risk for disease or sickness, and a little padding can't hurt.

People who are obese *need* to lose weight, because obesity is the #1 risk factor for several common deadly illnesses.

The only people who *need* to lose weight (meaning, more than just wanting to look good or feel perfect or be at optimal fitness, which is desireable but not medically necessary), are people who are obese.

Even someone who is just 30 lbs overweight is compromising their health. It is optimal to be in one's range of healthy weight. And again why not encourage people to lose the 30 instead of the 130?

Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,809,048 times
Exercise all you want. If you don't cut carbs, sugars and fake stuff you will still be a fatty.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Exercise all you want. If you don't cut carbs, sugars and fake stuff you will still be a fatty.
You should qualify that is simple carbs which I totally agree on. Complex carbs are fine.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,809,048 times
Yes, simple carbs. Thank you. Refined sugar, corn syrup, fruit juices, and watch the dried fruit too. Stick to the whole stuff. And the breads, grains (yes, even whole grain).
Eat all the whole fruits and veggies you can handle. Try to stick to the higher fruits like apples and berries vs the sugar water stuff like melons.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 PM

Nothing wrong with whole grain bread as long as it is truly whole grain. Quinoa, brown rice and a host of other wonderful grains are great too. Beans are super healthy and packed with fiber.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 AM

9,015 posts, read 13,859,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Look at it this way:

Want to be thinner:

Good: Just move more. Anything goes.
Better: Move faster.
Best: Move faster and weight train.

Want to be fitter:
Good: Move faster.
Best; Move faster and weight train.
If I'm reading this correctly,I can become fit at 30 pounds overweight,without losing weight?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 AM

9,015 posts, read 13,859,350 times
I don't understand low carb diets.
I once tried to do a low carb diet and also limited my calories to 1500 a day.
So I guess it was a low carb and low cal diet. I felt sick and got off of it.

One thing I tried to find information on is whether you are supposed to lmit calories on the low carb diet.
I have asked this question on low carb forums and didn't get any straight answers. Some say they do,some say they don't.

The best combo I have tried was to combine low carb(100 grams a day) low fat,and limit my calories to 1500 a day.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:47 AM

37,151 posts, read 41,350,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
If I'm reading this correctly,I can become fit at 30 pounds overweight,without losing weight?
Yep. Depends on eating enough to balance the calories burned.

Just like a pro football player!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 AM

37,151 posts, read 41,350,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I don't understand low carb diets.
I once tried to do a low carb diet and also limited my calories to 1500 a day.
So I guess it was a low carb and low cal diet. I felt sick and got off of it.

One thing I tried to find information on is whether you are supposed to lmit calories on the low carb diet.
I have asked this question on low carb forums and didn't get any straight answers. Some say they do,some say they don't.

The best combo I have tried was to combine low carb(100 grams a day) low fat,and limit my calories to 1500 a day.
People try to believe otherwise, but it is the total calories that govern weight loss.

You have to consume fewer calories than you are burning.

If you are female and go much below 1200 calories, you may start burning muscle as well as fat. That's not what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss