Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 09:28 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Nah, your body needs a wake up call once a week. The one day a week when you can eat what you want doesnt mean you have to eat unitl you puke, it just means that you can have a burger and fries that day if you want. Eat some popcorn at the theater, just enjoy your food. Ive lost 28 pounds, and I am NEVER hungry.
Here is a reminder above when you said our bodies need a wake up call. Maybe yours does, but not everyone. In fact most people who know a bit about nutrition and dieting would tell you your way is a sure way to fail. But hey, if it works for who am I to discourage you. I am just busting your chops about saying 'our' bodies. Speak for yourself or else have some data to back up your claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am still interested in diet and fitness. Its how I stay healthy. You implied your way was better. That was pretty evident. I think whatever works for a person is what they should do. But everyone is different and no 1 way is the right way.
No need for you to get your shorts in a wad over it.
If you can't quote me..don't imply that I said it. If you actually read my early post, I asked if anybody else has tried this method. If your way was so superior, why do you need to read this forum...why not just keep doing what your doing. Instead you attack me for whatever reasons are your own. Bored or something?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 AM

dropped 2.5 pounds this week, tommorrow is cheat day. Going to Texas Road House for big juicy Steak. I will make sure I put in about 30k steps today on my walk at work. As mentioned earlier it by some of you (who apparently know everthing there is about fittness) this isnt the optimal food eating plan, but I Don't have the willpower to go months eating "healthy foods". Food is way to important to me. I used to eat tuna and chicken salads and other rabbit foods for about 2 months. I would stay at a certain weight for two weeks or more...still eating like a rabbit. Get discouraged and give up. Gain 2 more pounds than before I started 2 months earlier.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I think I have the answer. Eat around 1200-1500 calories a day 6 days a week, on Day 7, I eat anything I want. I think this will prevent you from plateauing. I actully weigh less after the pig out day. I think Im tricking my body into kick starting my metabolism. At first it was hard to do, as I felt like I was ruining my whole week, but its simple math. With added walking every day, and what my body normally burns by just breathing, I burn about 15K to 20 K a week, I eat, including my pig out day around 10,500 worth of calories. I REALLY REALLY PIG OUT too. When the pig out day is over...its over for 6 more days. I ended up losing around 2 pounds a week. 2 weeks ago, only one, but last week, I lost 3. Lots of water all day long. A pedometer is a huge help. I have a goal of hitting 1 million steps in 6 months. I have a job where walking is available..actually required. Please tell me if any of you try the pig out day. Please no comments on how bad it is to indulge...I already know this, but after losing 22 pounds since Jan 1st, I think the bennies of weight loss out weigh the bad eating four to 5 days a month.
I am like you. I am very careful with what I eat and I work out every day. But one day a week I am less careful. I have also lost an average of 2 pounds per week doing this.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1 pound = 3000 calories.

So if you really did eat 10500 calories on day 7...

You ate enough calories to accommodate 3.5 pounds.

If you subtract from that 1500 calories that you -could- have eaten that day instead...you're left with 9000 calories that you ate, that you didn't need to eat.

And that would have resulted in another 3 pounds lost, that week.

The reason you didn't lose 5 pounds, instead of only 2 pounds, is because you pigged out on the 7th day.

But you go ahead and enjoy binging and pretending to yourself that your body can be "tricked"... and pretend that the 2 pound loss is a result of eating 3.5 pounds worth of calories MORE on one day. Pretend that you're not smart enough to know how to subtract 2 pounds from 3.5 pounds and realize that you've been GAINING weight that day, and losing the rest of the week, and coming out with a 2 pound loss.

If it makes you feel better and helps you justify the creme brule, the pulled pork sub with mac and cheese, the 6-pack of beer and the fried chicken sandwich with french fries and gravy, you go ahead and do that.

Hopefully the rest of the people reading this thread will remain firmly grounded in reality, and understand that eating 3.5 pounds MORE of calories, isn't going to make you lose 2 pounds.

I thought he ate 10500 calories INCLUDING the cheat day. So 10500 all together.
Also, 1 Pounds is 3500 calories, not 3000. Big difference.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I erred with the 3000/lb vs 3500/lb, that's correct. But the guy's math is still off. In his post, he said:
Quote:
Eat around 1200-1500 calories a day 6 days a week, on Day 7, I eat anything I want. I think this will prevent you from plateauing. I actully weigh less after the pig out day. I think Im tricking my body into kick starting my metabolism. At first it was hard to do, as I felt like I was ruining my whole week, but its simple math. With added walking every day, and what my body normally burns by just breathing, I burn about 15K to 20 K a week, I eat, including my pig out day around 10,500 worth of calories. I REALLY REALLY PIG OUT too.
So let's do the math again:
We'll average the 1200-1500 calories 6 days per week. 1500x6=9000. 1200x6=7200. 9000+7200=16200. 16200/2=8100 average calories consumed, 6 days per week, combined.

His total weekly caloric consumption, supposedly, is 10500 calories. That means, on day 7, he consumes 10,500-8100=2400 calories.

The average male, trying to do nothing other than maintain his current weight, who has an average height, an average weight, an average age, average frame, and average activity level, needs 2700 calories daily to do that maintaining.

So this poster is -not- pigging out, IF as you say he's eating 10500 calories combined, and not consuming all that just on day 7. He's eating less than the average male eats, on the "pig-out" day. He is ALSO eating less than the average female eats, by 100 calories, on that "pigout" day.

So if that were true, then according to the numbers, he should be losing more than only 2 pounds per week. He is eating, -daily-, a deficit of calories PLUS working out to further reduce the caloric maintenence. But then, he's also not pigging out. Either that, or he -is- pigging out, and pig-out day really is 10500 calories on that one day. Or, possibly, he has miscalculated his consumption and is consuming more than 10500 calories per week, and on pigout day, he's consuming maybe, 3000, or 4000 calories, which would explain why he's only losing around 2 pounds per week with all that dieting and exercise.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I thought he ate 10500 calories INCLUDING the cheat day. So 10500 all together.
Also, 1 Pounds is 3500 calories, not 3000. Big difference.
You are correct. The calories did include the cheat day.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:49 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Everyone knows the formula. This is so so so so simple!! Why is it that people seem to have such difficulty in doing this very simple thing in order to lose weight and get healthy?

My answer to this is - SUGAR!! Everyone I have ever known who is/was fat/obese had a problem with sugar. They just couldnt stay away from it. Cokes, candies, sweets, smoothies, sugar in coffee, ice cream, sugar in oatmeal, sugar in tea, overdoing it on the fruits, even breads (body treats it as sugar). Control your intake of sugar and you WILL see results. Better yet, make every effort you can to eliminate sugar from your diet and you WILL see results.

People lose their friggin' minds over sugar. The fat people (almost always women) in the office get ridiculously excited over doughnuts and such that its almost comical. I swear, its like they get more excited over doughnuts or pizza being available than if a super well hung Daniel Craig or Brad Pitt walked naked into their rooms.

Second answer, FATTY foods - McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, salads with heavy dressing, fried anything, etc. Cut these food completely out of your diet and you should see results.

Sure other things contribute to obesity and/or hinders weight loss like high sodium foods and eating too many calories, but for the most part, if people could eliminate or cut waaaaaaaay back on their sugar and fatty food intake they WILL get healthy. They WILL lose weight. Providing that they are also exercising regularly.

I mean really people. Why is it so so difficult to cut out sugar and fatty foods from your diet?
Sugar is carbohydrate....carbohydrates are essential to the human body in the form of energy. Remove sugars (carbs) completely and you wont be in too good of shape for long (in particular since your brain uses glucose for fuel).

For fast food...it has more to do with the fact that fast food items are packed with calories...even though the portions may be small. A Big Mac alone is what, half a days worth of calories....

Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Please be civil to one another . Do not bicker back & forth, otherwise an interesting thread will have to be closed.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-19-2012, 07:51 AM

16 posts, read 31,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Sugar is carbohydrate....carbohydrates are essential to the human body in the form of energy. Remove sugars (carbs) completely and you wont be in too good of shape for long (in particular since your brain uses glucose for fuel).

For fast food...it has more to do with the fact that fast food items are packed with calories...even though the portions may be small. A Big Mac alone is what, half a days worth of calories....
Basically carbs work that way, however with the popularity of low carb diets arising and the huge amount of information of low carb diets available, I won't go into it. But going low carbs DO have its advantages.

A Double McSpicy alone is already 1k calories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss