Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Argument from authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We're adults here, we can discuss or ignore someone's argument without resorting to blatant fallacies.
Frankly, I wouldn't put much stock in what governments and even most health care providers have been saying. They've been pushing low fat, high carb diets for decades and telling people to simply eat less and exercise more and it hasn't put a dent in the obesity epidemic. In fact, quite the opposite. Just because the so-called experts get sucked into faulty "group think" doesn't mean the advice they are giving is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:37 PM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
^I don't. And it's not a chip-on-my-shoulder thing, it's a survival thing. If I listened to doctors, I'd be 185 pounds, 36-inch waist, and profoundly sluggish and foggy half the day (or maybe 175 pounds, 36-inch waist, and constantly hungry). I didn't, so I'm 153 pounds, 31-inch waist, and I feel good.

That's why it's a problem when someone uses the argument from authority, the authority being doctors.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:54 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
It's truly amazing.
The dark side of the force is strong!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Argument from authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We're adults here, we can discuss or ignore someone's argument without resorting to blatant fallacies.
The blatant fallacy is that some guy on the internet can pass himself off as an expert in a subject in which he has no recognized expertise.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The blatant fallacy is that some guy on the internet can pass himself off as an expert in a subject in which he has no recognized expertise.
I'm sorry if I've missed it, so could you repeat what your qualifications are?

Old 06-16-2012, 06:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Eating less and moving more will cause you lose weight. The problem is most overweight and obese people want a quick fix in the form of a pill or surgery thinking that that's going to solve their weight issue. It won't. They need to know WHY they over eat...because even if their stomach is the size of their thumb, they will quickly learn how to eat what they want and how......and then BAM! they are big and fat all over again. What a waste.

I've personally known 10 ppl who did the medi weight loss 'diet'....did they lose weight?? Oh, yeah they did. Anyone would lose weight when eating 500 calories a day. Anyway...lets flash forward to when they are kicked off the plan.....9 out of 10 are fatter than they were when they started and they just don't get it. The one that didn't gain the weight back, she spent that dieting time reading and learning all she could about diet and nutrition and what to eat better....she also consulted her doctor who reamed her out for going on such a stupid diet plan in the first place.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm sorry if I've missed it, so could you repeat what your qualifications are?
Sorry you didn't notice it, but I'm not the one posting preposterous claims and advertisements for books on diet, written by people who aren't even nutritionists, whose backgrounds include such as "I was once fat, and now I'm thin, and for $39.99 I'll show you how I did it." or "I have a PhD in biology, no background at all in research, but I checked with these guys who did a study for this diet pill company and they came up with this information, and Big Pharma and the doctors are all in it together and I know the secret the WHOLE WORLD doesn't know and for $39.99 I'll share it with you too!!!1111 But only on the internet because no bonafide valid publisher is willing to touch anything I do."

I'm not the one spreading all that horse manure around. So I'm not the one whose credentials are in question.

Here's how it works:

There's a standard, a norm. It's an accepted standard, an accepted norm. It's what "they" say. You know, the famous "they" that says you can't wear white in winter, who says a hot toddy is good when you have a cold at night, and an apple a day keeps the doctor away.

So then you have some kid show up and say BUT THAT IS WRONG! It's up to the kid to prove it. It's not up to "they" to prove they're right. "They" have already been established as being right. It's up to the kid to prove they're wrong. But not only that they're wrong, but that the kid is right. He has to prove TWO things: "They" are wrong, AND "he" is right.

Logical fallacies are not proof of anything other than logical fallacies.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
The 'they' you refer to....Those the same ones that , at one time, practiced blood-letting? The same ones that ran Barry Marshall through the mill for years?The same ones that said "don't eat eggs"/eat eggs"?
The norm today may not be the accepted standard tomorrow.
To use your reasoning, one would have to be amazed that there is still so much research going on in the field of nutrition.
After all, if what is being said today is all there is to know.......well....what would be the sense?
Of course there is a lot of quakery but to settle for....indeed,pontificate against, any idea not currently the "norm",is not much better.
Oh.....you did forget to reinterate just what your qualifications are.Just being able to Google this weeks "norm"?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The 'they' you refer to....Those the same ones that , at one time, practiced blood-letting? The same ones that ran Barry Marshall through the mill for years?The same ones that said "don't eat eggs"/eat eggs"?
The norm today may not be the accepted standard tomorrow.
To use your reasoning, one would have to be amazed that there is still so much research going on in the field of nutrition.
After all, if what is being said today is all there is to know.......well....what would be the sense?
Of course there is a lot of quakery but to settle for....indeed,pontificate against, any idea not currently the "norm",is not much better.
Oh.....you did forget to reinterate just what your qualifications are.Just being able to Google this weeks "norm"?
Yes, those exact same "they" people. And "they" were proven wrong by people who knew what they were talking about, which is why they were *proven* wrong, not merely assumed wrong based on some guy who blogs on the internet who has no credentials.

So you bring people with valid credentials other than "he has a lot of videos and a PhD in biology therefore he's an expert on nutrition" and you'll be able to shift to the next batch of "they." Til then, I'll stick with what "they" say.

And "they" say calories in, calories out. Same thing "they" have been saying ever since "they" first came up with the notion and did research on it. So far, there have been a lot of detractors, and a lot of people who try to macro-manage the concept. But the concept itself "calories in, calories out" has stood as the standard to which profiteering crackpots have attempted to aspire.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:39 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
"And "they" say calories in, calories out. Same thing "they" have been saying ever since "they" first came up with the notion and did research on it. So far, there have been a lot of detractors, and a lot of people who try to macro-manage the concept. But the concept itself "calories in, calories out" has stood as the standard to which profiteering crackpots have attempted to aspire."

It is amazing how many people that want to dispel this notion. As if their bodies are somehow different and they can consume large amounts of certain types of foods while avoiding others and the weight will magically drop off. Without exercise even!
The law of thermodynamics is not going to change for these folks. What they do not realize is that they are eating fewer calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss