Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 AM

4,678 posts, read 4,996,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Well, it's not, and I'm honestly surprised I have to explain this. In D2's example, his daughter is a human being making a conscious decision between a healthy and unhealthy food. That's quite different than the body choosing to use a more readily available and efficient source of fuel. His comparison might be a little valid if the consumption of carbs was inherently unhealthy. It's not.
I think it's a good analogy. I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Let's move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
But, I have lost weight and kept it off eating those same foods that you malign. I have lost weight while working at a desk job and going to school at the same time (aka lots of sitting). I don't shop at Whole Foods or Trader Joes. I don't eat anything organic. Most of my food comes from Walmart SuperCenter, or Winn-Dixie.

So how have I lost over 50 pounds and continue to keep it off for about four years now? I eat oatmeal for breakfast, a sandwich at least once a week, etc. I eat cottage cheese with fresh fruit every night before bed. My bloodwork is normal. And I was an overweight child. I inherited my mom's lifestyle, not some fat gene.

How do the carb-phobic people explain those who have lost weight while eating carbs? Are we an anomaly? Do our bodies magically do something that yours does not? First, we blamed the fact that we are an advanced society that does not have to move around as much as our ancestors. Then, we blame the food itself.
Not magically, but yes, your body does handle food quite differently from mine. Nothing wrong with that. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,807,950 times
No one said you can't lose weight while eating carbs. How do you define "carbs"? How much did you weigh before? What's your current body fat %? What do you consider "normal" bloodwork? Have you gotten an extended lipid panel testing for LDL A/B? Are you truly lean, or just less fat? So many questions, so little answers. Cottage cheese and fruit is great. I prefer greek yogurt vs the texture of cottage cheese.

Congrats on the weight loss and even more so for keeping it off.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,279,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It isn't because the calories magically change value. Your 3500 calories is still the same 3500 calories as it was a month ago, and the same as my 3500 calories is today, and will be in 10 years. It's because you have chosen to do something different with those calories (such as, consume fewer of them), thus creating a change in what happens to those calories between the time you buy the product and stick it in the fridge, and the time you go to the bathroom the next morning.
Wrong. All things being equal -- I'm thinking activity level -- what my body does with 3500 calories depends on the form those 3500 calories came in.

To use your example of ice cream, my body will react differently to the carbohydrate grams in those 500 calories worth of ice cream than someone else's body. It's nothing I did or didn't do; it's the way my body uses carbohydrates. My body reacts differently to 500 calories of protein, of fat, and of carbs. Everyone is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
My brother loves oatmeal cream pies so much that he can eat a whole box in one day. Instead of trying to eat them in moderation he has to cut them out all together. He doesn't have diabetes, celiac any other medical condition.

But I guess he should just overcome his cravings huh? How silly of him to eliminate that from his diet when all he has to do is practice some self control.
I hear that. Other than the obvious demons of sugars and other carb-rich foods, I simply do not purchase cheese other than cottage cheese or a tub of crumbled feta or shaved parmesan for salads. Why? Once I start, I'm likely to eat cheese until it's gone; however, I'm unlikely to eat feta or parmesan in their crumbled forms. It's not that I'm hungry or that I have no self-control (because there are plenty of foods I can have "just one" of); there is something in cheese that triggers overeating. So I avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You obviously are a paleo follower from your screen name.
LOL. Thanks for the chuckle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes, but the average person is so far from being an athlete. The carbs then just backfire and there you have it.... fat.
Bingo! The low-fat craze -- where carbs replaced fat in sooo many foods -- of the 90s should have taught us something.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 AM

So we're getting a lot of answers on why it's "so difficult" for people to simply eat less, move more, and some good alternatives for those who don't want to eat less, move more. I'd say another is just preferences in activity level. People need to realize that people who are good at things like marathons and hiking mountains do that stuff because they like it. By no means does everyone have to do that stuff. Some people just want to garden or walk around their neighborhood or go dancing or play softball without blowing up like a balloon because they don't run 10 miles a day. Low-carb high-fat, and limiting things like grains and vegetable oils, makes that vision a reality for a lot of people.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,283,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
No one said you can't lose weight while eating carbs. How do you define "carbs"? How much did you weigh before? What's your current body fat %? What do you consider "normal" bloodwork? Have you gotten an extended lipid panel testing for LDL A/B? Are you truly lean, or just less fat? So many questions, so little answers. Cottage cheese and fruit is great. I prefer greek yogurt vs the texture of cottage cheese.

Congrats on the weight loss and even more so for keeping it off.

"So many questions, so little answers."

Well, you asked, and I don't understand why. I have lost weight and kept it off while eating carbs. Period. You question me as if you doubt that I know what constitutes "weight loss".

Old 06-21-2012, 11:05 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,830,761 times
Quote:
But, I have lost weight and kept it off eating those same foods that you malign. I have lost weight while working at a desk job and going to school at the same time (aka lots of sitting). I don't shop at Whole Foods or Trader Joes. I don't eat anything organic. Most of my food comes from Walmart SuperCenter, or Winn-Dixie.

So how have I lost over 50 pounds and continue to keep it off for about four years now? I eat oatmeal for breakfast, a sandwich at least once a week, etc. I eat cottage cheese with fresh fruit every night before bed. My bloodwork is normal. And I was an overweight child. I inherited my mom's lifestyle, not some fat gene.

How do the carb-phobic people explain those who have lost weight while eating carbs? Are we an anomaly? Do our bodies magically do something that yours does not? First, we blamed the fact that we are an advanced society that does not have to move around as much as our ancestors. Then, we blame the food itself.
You lost weight because you were consuming less than you burned. Sounds like you eat well and know your body.
I think low carb works for a lot of people. I do not think it is the end all be all way to eat. I also do not think grains and legumes are the enemy. On the contrary, I think they are a healthy food option and should be included in a healthy diet. Some people that have wheat issues cannot tolerate the gluten. Other than that they are not the evil food that some people would like to make them out to be.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,807,950 times
Quote:
"So many questions, so little answers."

Well, you asked, and I don't understand why. I have lost weight and kept it off while eating carbs. Period. You question me as if you doubt that I know what constitutes "weight loss".
I'm asking because everybody has different goals, as seen on this very forum. That's why.
It's A LOT easier for someone who's 150lbs overweight to lose 50lbs than it is for someone who is 10lbs overweight to lose those 10lbs.
So those you say are "carbophobic" may have completely different goals and for them it's a necessity to ditch them, including goals other than simply losing weight. Also, like i asked, it also depends on what you consider carbs that people are phobic of. You mentioned fresh fruit which wouldn't fit that category for a lot of people.
So saying you lost weight eating carbs isn't really saying much without more details.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,027,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Exactly, hence why low carb diets have an adaption period before your body will switch to using fat for fuel. The body wants carbs and will put up a small fight when it doesn't get them.
Same thing happens, I'm told, when you give up drugs or cigarrettes. Doesn't mean we evolved to use such products.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:33 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,283,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I'm asking because everybody has different goals, as seen on this very forum. That's why.
It's A LOT easier for someone who's 150lbs overweight to lose 50lbs than it is for someone who is 10lbs overweight to lose those 10lbs.
So those you say are "carbophobic" may have completely different goals and for them it's a necessity to ditch them, including goals other than simply losing weight. Also, like i asked, it also depends on what you consider carbs that people are phobic of. You mentioned fresh fruit which wouldn't fit that category for a lot of people.
So saying you lost weight eating carbs isn't really saying much without more details.
Eventually, the person losing 50lbs is going to get to the point of losing those last 10lbs.

This is the Diet and Weight Loss forum, so I assumed that the goal would be to lose weight. And that's the topic of this thread as well?

I also mentioned oatmeal and bread in my post. Those are carbs that many people are phobic of. I also mentioned cottage cheese. Many people on these low carb diets do not touch dairy, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss