Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times

Advertisements

So what about people who lose weight and keep it off? I was an overweight kid. Now I am at a normal weight. I refuse to believe that overweight people have no responsibility in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
The food companies should not make food tasty.
If all the stores were stocked with unflavored oatmeal,water,fresh fruits and veggies,and turkey and chicken, I would be willing to bet no one in this country would be obese. Notice I didn't say overweight. Reason being is that people have different size skeletal frames.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:02 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
I believe Rick Santos is obese and has followed every junk science article out there. He does not want to put in the work to lose the weight so he makes excuses and tries to back them up with false data.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 PM

467 posts, read 664,888 times
It's what you eat and how much of it. Exercise doesn't burn that many calories; it is unrealistic for most to use calorie burning exercise to lose weight. We used to keep weight off a hundred years ago from doing physical labor, and probably walking several hours a day helped prehistoric man eat more calories. We're sedentary mostly now and this is not likely to change for most of us. So eating less and being careful to eat *right* is the best choice for most people.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
People get hung up on the simple mantra of 'eat less, move more', but it's not as simple as that. What you eat is as important as how much you eat. Calories in/calories out ignores the fact that your body metabolizes and stores foods differently. Knkwing how a meal will effect your insulin response is important, and not just for diabetics. We have a glut of carbs in our diets. Too much sugar, simple carbs, starches. You will lose weight if you cut that crap out and substitute fat. Serious. People bought into the low fat fad but subbed sugars and carbs instead. We evolved eating quite a bit of fats from animal diets, with very limited carb intake. Suddenly we deluge our bodies with carbs that on an evolutionary scale is new to our metabolisms. We get several large insulin spikes a day with large, carb heavy meals, which promotes fat storage. Regulate those spikes. Minimize them. Cut sugars, starches and bad carbs. Eat smaller, more frequently. Don't avoid fat. Some fats are highly beneficial.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Except some of us don't get spikes. We get drops. And when we get drops, we need to consume some kind of carb, or we get sick (physically sick - dizzy, nauseated, headache - not mentally sick. I'm talking about severe sudden blood sugar dips). We aren't suffering from anything at all - normal cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, even our blood sugar levels are just fine and dandy. But for whatever reason - our bodies send us a *strong* message that we *need* to eat something fast, that our bodies are demanding food. And when it's not mealtime yet - or not an appropriate time to eat yet (such as - an hour before our scheduled lunch at work where we're not allowed to just leave for 20 minutes to prepare our meal), then we have to have a bite of *something* that will bring our blood sugar levels back up to normal.

The quickest, most efficient way of bringing blood sugar levels UP - is carbs. In particular, starch or sugar. So a graham cracker, which has both starch AND sugar in it, would be the A#1 most appropriate supreme awesome perfect thing to eat. That's whether or not we need to lose weight, are maintaining a healthy weight, or need to gain weight. We eat it to be healthy, not to gain/lose/maintain weight.

I can't be snacking on graham crackers where I work, because I work retail and the crumbs in my teeth are not conducive to selling office supplies. So I keep a peanutbutter cup, or one of those 90-calorie snack bars hidden behind the counter for emergencies.

People don't need to *eliminate* starch and sugar. People who are shovelling pounds of pasta and sugars down their throats need to *reduce* their portion sizes of those things, and increase vegetables and lean meats, and yes - even some of the good fats, unless they're already consuming lots of fats on top of the sugars and starches.

Mostly though, people need to eat less. Smaller portions.

But going from one exreme (carb-heavy meals) to the other (eliminate carbs) - is going to be a big old failure in the end. That's why *most* dieticians and nutritionists recommend moderation, rather than extremes, unless there is a diagnosed medical reason for one extreme or the other.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I believe Rick Santos is obese and has followed every junk science article out there. He does not want to put in the work to lose the weight so he makes excuses and tries to back them up with false data.
I am simply amazed at how you deduced that from his post. You must be psychic!

Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I am simply amazed at how you deduced that from his post. You must be psychic!

Why the snarkiness?

Old 12-15-2012, 01:06 PM

467 posts, read 664,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Except some of us don't get spikes. We get drops. And when we get drops, we need to consume some kind of carb, or we get sick (physically sick - dizzy, nauseated, headache - not mentally sick. I'm talking about severe sudden blood sugar dips). We aren't suffering from anything at all - normal cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, even our blood sugar levels are just fine and dandy. But for whatever reason - our bodies send us a *strong* message that we *need* to eat something fast, that our bodies are demanding food. And when it's not mealtime yet - or not an appropriate time to eat yet (such as - an hour before our scheduled lunch at work where we're not allowed to just leave for 20 minutes to prepare our meal), then we have to have a bite of *something* that will bring our blood sugar levels back up to normal.

The quickest, most efficient way of bringing blood sugar levels UP - is carbs. In particular, starch or sugar. So a graham cracker, which has both starch AND sugar in it, would be the A#1 most appropriate supreme awesome perfect thing to eat. That's whether or not we need to lose weight, are maintaining a healthy weight, or need to gain weight. We eat it to be healthy, not to gain/lose/maintain weight.

I can't be snacking on graham crackers where I work, because I work retail and the crumbs in my teeth are not conducive to selling office supplies. So I keep a peanutbutter cup, or one of those 90-calorie snack bars hidden behind the counter for emergencies.

People don't need to *eliminate* starch and sugar. People who are shovelling pounds of pasta and sugars down their throats need to *reduce* their portion sizes of those things, and increase vegetables and lean meats, and yes - even some of the good fats, unless they're already consuming lots of fats on top of the sugars and starches.

Mostly though, people need to eat less. Smaller portions.

But going from one exreme (carb-heavy meals) to the other (eliminate carbs) - is going to be a big old failure in the end. That's why *most* dieticians and nutritionists recommend moderation, rather than extremes, unless there is a diagnosed medical reason for one extreme or the other.
Sugar isn't the problem; the problem is polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) which are pro-stress and destabilize blood sugar:
Ray Peat, PhD on Low Blood Sugar & Stress Reaction – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Starches are still pretty bad because they raise blood sugar so quickly and trigger instant fat storage. Once that fat is stored, you have to exercise extremely hard to burn it off. Or, change your diet, raise your metabolism and burn it off slowly in every day activities like walking, or just living.

If you want consistent weight-loss progress, yes, you need to eliminate grain-based starches and reduce plant sources of starches like tubers (potatoes). You can enjoy potatoes once in a while, a few here and there, but the main thing is to get the PUFAs out so you don't have low blood sugar and stop eating grains which will send your insulin way up and make you constantly hungry.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:32 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Sugar isn't the problem; the problem is polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) which are pro-stress and destabilize blood sugar:
Ray Peat, PhD on Low Blood Sugar & Stress Reaction – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Starches are still pretty bad because they raise blood sugar so quickly and trigger instant fat storage. Once that fat is stored, you have to exercise extremely hard to burn it off. Or, change your diet, raise your metabolism and burn it off slowly in every day activities like walking, or just living.

If you want consistent weight-loss progress, yes, you need to eliminate grain-based starches and reduce plant sources of starches like tubers (potatoes). You can enjoy potatoes once in a while, a few here and there, but the main thing is to get the PUFAs out so you don't have low blood sugar and stop eating grains which will send your insulin way up and make you constantly hungry.
How do you explain people who eat anything they want including lots of carbs and sugar and stay skinny?
I've lost weight without ever stopping carbs and sugar because I just can't see myself doing it; I have a bmi of 18 and eat whatever I want, just small portions and practically never go above 1200-1500 calories a day - not because I'm counting calories but because at this point I physically can't eat more, I feel sick if I overeat. It may not be the healthiest way, as I know it would be better to cut out some carbs and eat more protein (I also have digestive issues and I find meat and rough fiber like veggies difficult to handle, while refined carbs are much easier and soothing to digest), but for weight purposes it doesn't make a difference unless you have blood sugar issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss