Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:08 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows the formula. This is so so so so simple!! Why is it that people seem to have such difficulty in doing this very simple thing in order to lose weight and get healthy?

My answer to this is - SUGAR!! Everyone I have ever known who is/was fat/obese had a problem with sugar. They just couldnt stay away from it. Cokes, candies, sweets, smoothies, sugar in coffee, ice cream, sugar in oatmeal, sugar in tea, overdoing it on the fruits, even breads (body treats it as sugar). Control your intake of sugar and you WILL see results. Better yet, make every effort you can to eliminate sugar from your diet and you WILL see results.

People lose their friggin' minds over sugar. The fat people (almost always women) in the office get ridiculously excited over doughnuts and such that its almost comical. I swear, its like they get more excited over doughnuts or pizza being available than if a super well hung Daniel Craig or Brad Pitt walked naked into their rooms.

Second answer, FATTY foods - McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, salads with heavy dressing, fried anything, etc. Cut these food completely out of your diet and you should see results.

Sure other things contribute to obesity and/or hinders weight loss like high sodium foods and eating too many calories, but for the most part, if people could eliminate or cut waaaaaaaay back on their sugar and fatty food intake they WILL get healthy. They WILL lose weight. Providing that they are also exercising regularly.

I mean really people. Why is it so so difficult to cut out sugar and fatty foods from your diet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Because fatty, sugary foods taste soooo good!

But I would take Daniel over a doughnut any day.

Not sure about Brad.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:43 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Are you implying that Daniel and Brad are not??

really you are speaking the truth, amazing the amount of sugar in anything that you do not prepare yourself!

Let's see Brad as Tristien, Daniel as Hawkeye, OK here you can have the Oreos back.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:28 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
I swear, its like they get more excited over doughnuts or pizza being available than if a super well hung Daniel Craig or Brad Pitt walked naked into their rooms.
Well, in their defense, donuts are accessible to them. Brad Pitt and Daniel Craig are not.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:05 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Moderator cut: quote deleted because of language

True. Man how irritating it is to hear people go on and on and on with their excuses as to why they are overweght: "My mom buys only fattening food", "It easier to go to the drive-thru", "Oooooh, I just love chocolate", "I have to have my diet coke", "blah blah blah blah as to why I willl forwever be fat".

It really is that easy unless you are battling some disease, to just lay off of the sugar and the fattening food. Just lay off.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-07-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Your right! Cokes and fast food are two of the biggest temptations and also the biggest downfalls along with many of the prepackaged foods.
I'm about to prove something to my husband while he is at a training. He loves to eat out often and says that food has nothing to do with weightloss. So in this month, I am going to bust my butt and prove to him that your food also plays a role in weightloss. Looking forward to it too! I think I may start a thread on here to document my food and excercises as some kind of proof that the two go hand in hand also that it is possible to do it.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:58 PM

553 posts, read 1,544,871 times
I'm glad you brought this up OP. A couple weeks ago I ran into a good friend of mine that I haven't seen in about 2 yrs. She just got the Lap band surgery because she was 300 lbs! She was so excited about it and had to explain how it all worked. When she got to the part about being so depressed that she couldn't have her 32 oz coke anymore....that's when my eyes glazed over. She could've pushed me over with a feather. She went on and on about food she couldn't have TEMPORARILY!

She didn't learn a damn thing about nutrition, portion control, exercise, NOTHING! She got a quick fix to lose weight, but the minute that ends she's going to gain it all back and then some more on top of that. Her kids and her husband are all obese as well. After we said our goodbyes I just felt so sorry for her. Yeah, sure she dropped 30 lbs almost instantly, but so what? It won't last unless she learns how to eat less and exercise more and makes her family change their ways as well. Plain and simple.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:59 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Second answer, FATTY foods - McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, salads with heavy dressing, fried anything, etc. Cut these food completely out of your diet and you should see results.
As a hardcore controlled-carber I'd substitute the term "fattening" for "fatty". I doubt if folks just ate "fatty" foods they'd gain much weight. It's when they combine them with buns, fries, tortillas, rice, beans, etc. that people get "fatty". However, you're right on about SUGAR and lack of lack of movement being huge culprits.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:29 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Moderator cut: quote deleted because of language

True. Man how irritating it is to hear people go on and on and on with their excuses as to why they are overweght: "My mom buys only fattening food", "It easier to go to the drive-thru", "Oooooh, I just love chocolate", "I have to have my diet coke", "blah blah blah blah as to why I willl forwever be fat".

It really is that easy unless you are battling some disease, to just lay off of the sugar and the fattening food. Just lay off.
If you are living with parents who dont buy good alternatives that could be hard. If you do not plan well and are rushed and stressed, the drive through IS easier. Chocolate IS a temptation. I lost 25 pounds in 6 months on WW. I surprised a lot of people, and Ive kept it off. But it was NOT easy, and its really not fair to say it is. Its hard to change habits.

(I did not avoid diet coke during that time, BTW, though I have tried to drink more water)

Old 09-08-2011, 12:32 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It's when they combine them with buns, fries, tortillas, rice, beans, etc. that people get "fatty". However, you're right on about SUGAR and lack of lack of movement being huge culprits.

beans are a high fiber source of protein. a very healthy food.

Personally as someone who can gorge on cheese, straight, not all of us find high fat foods filling. For us high calorie carbs and high calorie fats work out to the same thing. Glad low carb worked for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss