Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,745,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
So I hit my goal weight several months ago. My doc wanted me to lower my LDL chol, and my blood sugar, so as part of my WW plan I reduced my intake of high sat fat foods, as well as sugars and white starches. My healthy habits - eating lots of veggies, being more active, and my continued limitations on the above foods, have actually made it difficult for me to avoid losing MORE weight, which is not my goal.

In order to keep up my weight while keeping to my other goals, I am trying to increase my consumption in particular of calorie dense foods high in mono and poly unsat fats. For the most part thats been fatty fishes (esp salmon) nuts, olive oil.

any other ideas along those lines?
Brown rice, beans, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, flaxseed

Just look up the calorie content of sunflower seeds and pine nuts. Eating sunflower seeds and a snack and always using some pine nuts on your salad or in your rice can really add up.

Maybe its time to start counting calories if you don't want to lose anymore.

You should look at actual numerical values based on your stats rather than just "more" or "less" of anything.

With the blood sugar issue you need to totally cut out white sugar and white starches. Use the whole grain alternatives period. You will feel so much better. If you are craving something just look up the low carb alternative. Low carb is naturally low sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 12:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,132,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Do you like avocado?
I second this. Avocado is tasty, it's so easy to eat (mash it and use it as a dip, eat slices on a salad, etc.) and it does pack a nicer size calorie payoff than many other fruits, and it's very low in saturated fat, which is what you're looking for. It could possibly make you gain weight or stabilize if you're still losing, if you add it to your diet or if you replace a bulky but very low-calorie regular food item with it.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:28 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,745,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I second this. Avocado is tasty, it's so easy to eat (mash it and use it as a dip, eat slices on a salad, etc.) and it does pack a nicer size calorie payoff than many other fruits, and it's very low in saturated fat, which is what you're looking for. It could possibly make you gain weight or stabilize if you're still losing, if you add it to your diet or if you replace a bulky but very low-calorie regular food item with it.
If the texture freaks you out try blending it with salsa and dip veggies or whole grain corn chips with flaxseed. They have a good version of those from trader joes.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:48 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,711,699 times
Check out the ANDI scores of various foods; the higher the score, the more nutrient-dense the food is.

Top Ten ANDI Scores | WholeFoodsMarket.com

Whole Foods Market Adopts “ANDI” Nutrition Rating System | Fooducate

Old 11-03-2011, 09:59 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,606,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well then eat more of the foods you like, just not cheese in particular since that's what you want to avoid more of. You feel grains haven't hurt you a bit, nor dairy. And nuts we all seem to agree on. So why not just up one of those?

I'm confused. And I have to question you on the "grains fill me up" thing...then replace some of the other things you've been eating with the grains, for more calories (come on, flour can pack in those calories) without already being overful on other things like nuts and dairy. If you're eating less of certain things, say veggies, fruit, dairy (though, while cheese is "out", you have low-fat dairy options...how about garnishing with sour cream? Eating low fat yogurt? Cottage cheese? Etc., etc., etc.)...then you will surely have room for more grains, even if they're filling.

Your way of eating has been working for you. So keep doing it and increase the calorie-rich things you're already eating. You don't have to uncover an entirely new food group to do this.

white flour Im trying to limit, cause Ive had blood sugar issues. veggies and low fat dairy are also filling foods - they, along with whole grains, are the foods Ive lost weight on - ditto the lower sugar fruits - and again, I dont want to eat lots and lots of high sugar fruits because of blood sugar issues. Given that the way I have been eating DOES fill me up at quantities at which I slowly lose weight, I DO need another group of foods.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Brown rice, beans, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, flaxseed

Just look up the calorie content of sunflower seeds and pine nuts. Eating sunflower seeds and a snack and always using some pine nuts on your salad or in your rice can really add up.

Maybe its time to start counting calories if you don't want to lose anymore.

You should look at actual numerical values based on your stats rather than just "more" or "less" of anything.

With the blood sugar issue you need to totally cut out white sugar and white starches. Use the whole grain alternatives period. You will feel so much better. If you are craving something just look up the low carb alternative. Low carb is naturally low sugar.

I actually do track, most weeks (using WW points instead of calories - its similar though). I have adjusted my daily and weekly pts allotments UP to get to a mntnce level, and when I do I find its hard to get in all the points. Beans are also filling (I dont eat much brown rice, but I guess like other whole grains its also filling). Nuts and seeds, yeah, got that.

And yeah, I eat as little sugar and white starch as possible. But that eliminates some really calorie dense foods.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Do you like avocado?
excellent idea - yes I do like it and do eat it, but could certainly eat more of it - straight, on salads, or as guacamole.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 AM

8,286 posts, read 38,863,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
excellent idea - yes I do like it and do eat it, but could certainly eat more of it - straight, on salads, or as guacamole.
I have a real weakness for guacamole, but I'll often eat an avocado with a spoon as a meal component or a snack.

It helps to live in a region where avocado trees thrive.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 26 days ago)

2,050 posts, read 3,384,617 times
Natural peanut butter, on wheat bread?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Natural peanut butter, on wheat bread?

yeah, a standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss