Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,371 times

Advertisements

A food intolerance is not the same as a food allergy. The ALCAT measures intolerance, therefore, if you have an allergic reaction the offending food will not measure on ALCAT. It seems that a traditional allergy test and ALCAT would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakone View Post
A food intolerance is not the same as a food allergy. The ALCAT measures intolerance, therefore, if you have an allergic reaction the offending food will not measure on ALCAT. It seems that a traditional allergy test and ALCAT would be helpful.
ALCAT testing is a big fat fraud. Pick any 200 random people, from different walks of life - different cultures, ethnicities, races, countries, height, weight, age, ability/disability. Pick one of each! Now get them tested.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM will test positive for intolerance to wheat, eggs, and dairy.

And EVERY SINGLE "doctor" who orders the test, will have nutritional supplements for sale to "cure" you of those intolerances.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,243 times
I am a RN and I had the ALCAT testing done and was not allergic to eggs, milk, or any dairy. It is possible that many people tested received results allergic to eggs, wheat, dairy because in fact they ARE allergic to those things. Eggs, wheat and dairy products are the most common allergens among people with arthritis, IBS, chronic fatigue, etc etc.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgyogi View Post
I am a RN and I had the ALCAT testing done and was not allergic to eggs, milk, or any dairy. It is possible that many people tested received results allergic to eggs, wheat, dairy because in fact they ARE allergic to those things. Eggs, wheat and dairy products are the most common allergens among people with arthritis, IBS, chronic fatigue, etc etc.
It doesn't matter whether or not the person has arthritis, IBS, chronic fatigue, or any etceteras for that matter. If you didn't show positive for those three substances, then you are an anomaly. But considering that this is your very first post ever on City-Data, and you picked this month-and-a-half thread to post your first post in, I'm guessing you're not an RN, that you were never tested, that you have no allergies, and that you're just bumping the thread to try and sell more testing.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,091 times
I just had the ALCAT testing done, also. I have NEVER had an allergic reaction to any foods even as a child! I used to work for an allergist that told me this type of testing is unreliable & usually false. Why did I do it? Guess I'm an idiot! The results tell be I'm allergic to just about every food on the planet! Don't know how I'll follow this diet. I'd eat the same thing everyday for the rest of my life! It also said I was allergic to certain medications. Medications I've never had any reaction to before! I've got to find some evidence based documentation to present to my doctor before she takes me off my meds! Thanks for your help!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,913 times
Not one of you (except maybe Oakone) has an understanding of the difference between food allergies and food sensitivities and the way in which chronic inflammation, caused by eating foods to which the white blood cells have an IgG response, affects you (an allergic response is an IgE response). The ALCAT test makes no claims about showing allergic reactions, but rather food sensitivities. Look up the difference, it's not hard. People like the AnonChick should get their information right before slamming something that is doing good for a lot of people. I know many people who have used the information from the ALCAT test properly and seen big differences in their heath.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthyGirl View Post
Not one of you (except maybe Oakone) has an understanding of the difference between food allergies and food sensitivities and the way in which chronic inflammation, caused by eating foods to which the white blood cells have an IgG response, affects you (an allergic response is an IgE response). The ALCAT test makes no claims about showing allergic reactions, but rather food sensitivities. Look up the difference, it's not hard. People like the AnonChick should get their information right before slamming something that is doing good for a lot of people. I know many people who have used the information from the ALCAT test properly and seen big differences in their heath.
As I said in my first post in this thread: The only people who claim ALCAT works, are people who profit from ALCAT testing. As I said in one of my other posts - everyone who gets tested, tests positive for intolerance of wheat, eggs, and dairy.

As EVERYONE in this thread (other than the one-shot wonder testimonials who claimed they were a nurse who had it done, and a doctor who had it done), has had no problem finding plenty of information about ALCAT and the most enthusiastic data points very decisively to ALCAT being a scam.

Perhaps they are well-meaning. Perhaps they're really nice people. It doesn't make them any less a scam. ALCAT testing is a scam.

Anyone who cuts down on any foods, regardless of their tolerance or intolerance to that food, can lose weight. You don't need to test positive for an intolerance to dairy, to know that cutting ice cream out of your diet will promote weight loss.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthyGirl View Post
http://smj.sma.org.sg/5101/5101ra1.pdf

Tests for food-specific IgG are marketed as IgG radioallergosorbent tests and vary in offering measurements of total IgG toward a food, or IgG4 with or without food immune complex assay. The measurement of such specific IgG antibodies and their subclasses, primarily IgG4, is based on the fact that the titre falls after a period of withdrawal of the specific food antigen. Thus, some physicians opt to use such a modality to diagnose food allergies. Unfortunately, the determination of specific IgG antibodies in serum does not correspond with oral food challenges.(43) Burks et al conducted a study of antibody responses to milk proteins in patients with milk-protein intolerance proved by oral challenge, and found that no increase in IgG antibodies was noted.(44) In another study, Shek et al concluded that food- specific IgG or IgG4 does not add any information to the diagnostic workup of food allergy.(45) Furthermore, most people develop IgG antibodies to foods that they eat, and this is a normal immune response indicating exposure but not allergic sensitisation.(20) Recent studies have shown that the IgG response may even be protective, and thus prevents or protects against the development of IgE food allergy. Hence, there is no convincing evidence to suggest that this test has any diagnostic value for allergy.(46)

In other words, we all make IgG to the foods we eat. It is a normal, probably protective process and does not indicate "intolerance."

Old 10-09-2013, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,453 times
Well I've read this whole message thread and am thoroughly confused. I went to an alternative MD when I was diagnosed with a Thyroid problem. He had me take an ALCAT test, got the results and I was red on veal and lamb and eggs, orange on chicken, haddock, soy, chick peas, and yellow on tilapia and turkey -among many others but am concerned that these are large parts of the protein groups and it immediately sent me to internet to ask if its true or a scam cause in the meat catagory it leaves me beef or pork ( which I swore off years ago). I also don't see how veal is listed and beef is not??? Just sounds silly to me.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,453 times
Default intolerance to proteins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrobmink View Post
Well I've read this whole message thread and am thoroughly confused. I went to an alternative MD when I was diagnosed with a Thyroid problem. He had me take an ALCAT test, got the results and I was red on veal and lamb and eggs, orange on chicken, haddock, soy, chick peas, and yellow on tilapia and turkey -among many others but am concerned that these are large parts of the protein groups and it immediately sent me to internet to ask if its true or a scam cause in the meat catagory it leaves me beef or pork ( which I swore off years ago). I also don't see how veal is listed and beef is not??? Just sounds silly to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss