Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:10 AM

155 posts, read 252,623 times

Advertisements

Saw this article about Denmark creating a "fatty food" tax and I think its something that we should adapt here in the states.

Denmark Introduces ‘Fat Tax’ on Foods High in Saturated Fat - ABC News

A tax should be adopted here on fatty foods and junk foods like:

Cookies, soda, butter, pizza, etc. Also, bigger tax on cigarettes and alcohol as well. That'll go a long way in helping to fix the budget.

Food staples like milk, eggs, bread, should not be taxed though.

Kudos to you Denmark for putting the health of your people first and reducing the burden on public healthcare system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ancient View Post
Saw this article about Denmark creating a "fatty food" tax and I think its something that we should adapt here in the states.

Denmark Introduces ‘Fat Tax’ on Foods High in Saturated Fat - ABC News

A tax should be adopted here on fatty foods and junk foods like:

Cookies, soda, butter, pizza, etc. Also, bigger tax on cigarettes and alcohol as well. That'll go a long way in helping to fix the budget.

Kudos to you Denmark for putting the health of your people first and reducing the burden on public healthcare system.
Not going to happen.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:25 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
i agree it will not happen the fast food industy and the junk food industry would fight it tooth and nail .

Old 11-14-2011, 02:58 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
I am fit and would vote against such a tax if I had the chance.

If I want to eat "bad" foods but don't get fat, then I haven't caused any problems. I ate a fatty ribeye steak last night, and had two glasses of wine. I had cookies this weekend. But I'm not fat.

Instead they should just find a way to make fat people pay for the results of their behavior. If people mismanage the food they eat, good or bad, that is the problem. Tax them. Make them pay more for health insurance, life insurance, seats in airplanes.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:41 AM

1,349 posts, read 663,707 times
We haven't got as far in France yet, but recently, our parliament voted to put a tax on sodas AND diet sodas.

Very good thing in my opinion.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:41 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
the government is, as usual, out of control.

they are demanding that kids get now breakfast, lunch, and dinner in schools provided by taxpayers yet they know darn well that kids are going to eat when they get home, as well.

no wonder the kids keep getting fatter.

i guess they are fattening them up so they can tax them.

for the record, i am not fat and also oppose a fat tax.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:18 AM

155 posts, read 252,623 times
I posted a similar article on my FB page and everyone of my FB friends are in agreement with it but not CD folks.

CD: Zero percent of people support this.
Facebook: 100% are in support of this.

I am urging everyone to send this to their local city and state politicians so that a similar tax can be passed here in the U.S. I think this is a fantastic idea. How can you guys not support this especially when we are in such dire times when it comes to the economy? I especially love the tax on sodas.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:06 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
This is already the case in some states. Also, as far as I know, dairy, eggs, flour, fruits and vegetables, are already not taxed, nationwide. There exists no federal sales tax on any of those things.

States can tax certain items if they choose to; and at least here in Connecticut, there IS the standard 6.35% state sales tax imposed on fast food, and restaurant meals. There is also already a tax on sodas. Connecticut has what is considered a "sin tax." If it's sinful, you have to pay a tax on it. That's the perspective, anyway - it's not literal.

Problem is, it's cheaper to feed a family of 4 with a large pizza from the freezer section of the supermarket, than it is to feed the same family with a potroast, string beans, salad, home-made bread. So you'll be punishing the poorer people, and the people of means won't suffer in the least.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
I posted a similar article on my FB page and everyone of my FB friends are in agreement with it but not CD folks.

CD: Zero percent of people support this.
Facebook: 100% are in support of this.

I am urging everyone to send this to their local city and state politicians so that a similar tax can be passed here in the U.S. I think this is a fantastic idea. How can you guys not support this especially when we are in such dire times when it comes to the economy? I especially love the tax on sodas.
probably on facebook you have people looking for similar positions. here on city data people just throw ideas out and gauge the reaction to them.

i think most americans, unless they live in their parent's basement, don't want another dime taken out of their pockets. we are already forced into inflation with the insane money printing schemes of the federal reserve. basically, we are ALREADY paying more for our goods for the benefit of the government now.

in case you didn't notice, a lot of americans are struggling.

i don't believe in piling on more fees to struggling americans, sorry.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:33 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:

Butter is a staple.

You can't bake bread without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss