Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:19 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Wow! So you're saying what I see right in front of my own eyes and on my own body is not real? Glad you know more about me than I do..

BTW, calling someone fat isn't exactly nice and most would consider it offensive. I agree the OP should get down to an ideal body weight before doing something like surgery, but they have done a great job of losing weight and should be commended for it instead of insulted.
People call me fat all the time so..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 05:31 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Applying cocoa butter can serve as an emollient to help -prevent- stretch marks, to some extent.

However once you already -have- stretch marks, you have already damaged your skin. That's what those marks ARE. They're little scars, from the skin being damaged as it was pulled tighter than it was intended to be pulled OR pulled faster than it was able to recover from.

I've had stretch marks on my breasts since I was 12 years old because I developed very very quickly in only a couple of years. I've gotten bigger-breasted since then, but the marks have faded a bit over time. Just like any scarring, it will eventually fade somewhat. That's regardless of what you use, if anything, to fade them.

What cocoa butter does, is help keep the skin supple enough that you don't get the stretch marks in the first place. It can't fix damaged skin.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:35 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Applying cocoa butter can serve as an emollient to help -prevent- stretch marks, to some extent.

However once you already -have- stretch marks, you have already damaged your skin. That's what those marks ARE. They're little scars, from the skin being damaged as it was pulled tighter than it was intended to be pulled OR pulled faster than it was able to recover from.

I've had stretch marks on my breasts since I was 12 years old because I developed very very quickly in only a couple of years. I've gotten bigger-breasted since then, but the marks have faded a bit over time. Just like any scarring, it will eventually fade somewhat. That's regardless of what you use, if anything, to fade them.

What cocoa butter does, is help keep the skin supple enough that you don't get the stretch marks in the first place. It can't fix damaged skin.
Sure and I know that. I've actually been quite fortunate in the stretch mark dept--only got very thin ones that faded to near invisibility after my dd was born. However I've got the underarm dingle-dangle and though I doubt the cocoa butter would do much, it sure can't hurt.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:03 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
If you lost the weight in your 20s, your skin would probably bounce back. At 40+, it isn't going to happen. It's been stretched out for a while, and at your age it just isn't as "elastic" as it used to be. Cocoa butter will not shrink excess skin. Nothing will; it will take surgery to get rid of it.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:13 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
I'm 44 and have photographic proof. Can't remember which thread it's in, but you can see my before and afters and the skin is almost just as tight despite the fact that literally half the weight is gone. It's by far the cheapest method and the worst it can do is give you soft skin and make you smell good. There's no chance of losing anything.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:21 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
If you lost the weight in your 20s, your skin would probably bounce back. At 40+, it isn't going to happen. It's been stretched out for a while, and at your age it just isn't as "elastic" as it used to be. Cocoa butter will not shrink excess skin. Nothing will; it will take surgery to get rid of it.
It depends on genetics as well. There is no hard and fast rule concerning this. I have known women older (50s) whose skin has bounced back without surgery. Like everything else, it is situational.

Losing the weight slowly helps. I also recommend the suggestion that stay at a stable weight for a year or two and see if the skin will tighten up. I don't know about the cocoa butter, so I can't recommend it.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:39 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
It depends on genetics as well. There is no hard and fast rule concerning this. I have known women older (50s) whose skin has bounced back without surgery. Like everything else, it is situational.

Losing the weight slowly helps. I also recommend the suggestion that stay at a stable weight for a year or two and see if the skin will tighten up. I don't know about the cocoa butter, so I can't recommend it.
I'm in my 50s, lost 50+ pounds and it all pulled in. Af first it looked a bit loose but tightened up, presumably because I work out. Now I just look like I've always weighed 165.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:43 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm in my 50s, lost 50+ pounds and it all pulled in. Af first it looked a bit loose but tightened up, presumably because I work out. Now I just look like I've always weighed 165.
Awesome!

Old 11-27-2011, 03:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
It's all about age, genetics, how long you were fat, and how fat you were. The older you are and the fatter you were determine how bad the leftovers will be. People who lose massive amounts of weight at 20 will always have much better results, appearance wise, than someone in their 50's.

If all you have left is loose skin, the only thing that works is a tummy tuck that will surgically remove the skin. Of course you will be trading in the loose skin for a huge smiley face scar. Or and anchor shaped scar if you have a lot of excess skin in the midriff too. There's always a tradeoff.

Forget lipo. It will only remove more fat and eventually make the loose skin look worse. Losing more weight will do the same thing.

Some of the magic creams, lotions, and potions, may make it look a little better temporarily, but it's still there. Skin will only shrink as much as it will shrink and leftovers are leftovers.

There is no muscular element of skin that can be tightened with exercise. Exercise may help develop the muscles UNDER the skin, but the amount of loose skin you have won't change.

Sorry! But here's the good news. Skin does continue to shrink VERY slowly for about 2 years after a major weight loss.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:50 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
I just remembered something that was on the edge of my mind. I remembered that growth hormone, a hormone that is produced by your body and declines with age, has the effect of tightening skin and wrinkles if it is sufficient in your body. I have heard of people supplementing with HGH or taking shots or going to clinics but there is some danger involved with that? Not sure. But there are ways to encourage your body to make enough of its own: 1. Exercise to anaerobic capacity. Burn baby burn. 2. Eat a low sugar diet and try to get rid of the gut. Eat enough protein. 3. Get enough sleep. 4. Certain amino acid supplements are supposed to help. Glutamine is one that was mentioned--2 gms a day can raise HGH by 400%. L-Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body. It's facilitates the release of growth hormone

It's worth a try, and remember, though it sounds like what you're already doing, the exercise prescription is fairly specific--you have to do sprints in your aerobic training--go all out for 30 seconds at a time until you can't stand it any more--for several times. Oh yeah, and if you take OTC sleep aids or benadryl on any kind of regular basis, you can shut down your body's production of HGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss