Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:47 AM

550 posts, read 1,637,631 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My history:

I've SLOWLY lost at least 50# since October of 2009, my current weight is 175#. The truth is I don't actually know what my weight was at that time because I didn't own a scale and the whole truth is I really didn't want to know! So I really don't know how much weight I've lost, 50# I can document, so we'll stick with that number.

I use 225# as my starting number when tracking my weight loss, howevber it's highly likely that I weighed closer to 235-240# in October of 2009. I know I wasn't as heavy as I was when I was at my heaviest, which was back in 2000 when I weighed in the neighborhood of 260# several months AFTER giving birth to my 4th and youngest child. Again, I really didn't want to know the number, but that seems to be what I recall from the quick jumps on and off the scale and doctor office visits back then.

One of these days I'm going to ask my ob/gyn to check my file, although many doctor's office are switching to electronic files these days and therefore records from a decade back are not accessible barring a good medical or legal reason for pulling the records.

All I know for sure is this... in October of 2009 my husband of 20yrs left, and my marriage ended, which was a very good turn of events in my life. My stress, anxiety and depression walked out the door with that man and ever since that day he left, without really trying to do anything but make good food choices and not overeat, I've been slowly but steadily shedding the pounds. wooHoo!!!

Because within a couple of months after him leaving I was beginning to repeatedly field compliments and questions regarding my weight loss, I was finally prompted to step on a scale in January of 2010. At that time I weighed 223#. Thereafter I told people, when prompted, that I'd lost (maybe) 10-15#. With time I had another doctor's appointment and found my weight was hovering just a tiny fraction about 200#... a few months later at yet another appointment it was below 200#... last week it was at 175#.

I'm kinda stunned, to tell you the truth. Yeah, my clothes have been baggy, but I don't think I've beem below 180#, and within sight of reaching my ideal weight for my height (which I consider to be 140#) in well over a decade! Just 35# more - no that's doable, I would think! I hope!

I said I lost all that weight without really trying, and that's true for the most part, but I have to admit I've been more and more vigilant about only eating what's healthy, putting down the fork when I feel in the least bit full, and once in awhile (not too often, I'll admit) throwing a little workout into the mix.

Note: I'm currently wearing sizes 12 & 14 in jeans, depending on the cut and brand. I'm 5'5" & 175# & my current bra size is 38DD (down from 40-42 DDD/F). I have thick, muscular calves, my th eory for why that is my ADHD habit of constantly tightening and releasing my calf muscles... I do this with other body parts too, unconsciously most of the time. My wrist measures at 6.5 inches, so I'm considered large framed.

The funny thing is it took my losing 50+ lbs w/o really making an effort for me to start desiring to get toned and in shape for real!!!

My question:

So... how do I lose the flabby excess skin on my stomach?

I have seriously ugly belly folds of excess skin, not helped in the least by the fact I also have a vertical emergency c-section scar. UGH! I'm not looking to wear a bikini, at nearly 43yo that's not even a thought in my mind... but I would like to someday wear form-fitting jeans without that "muffin top" of fat spilling over the waist.

Is my only solution plastic surgery? I've read excess skin folds are the result of rapid weight loss - but I didn't lose weight rapidly!!!

Will an exercise routine help? Is there any hope?

Thanks In Advance for any help!!!

++++

Just in case anyone is interested... my diet changes were this:

~I avoid all oils other than olive oil and coconut oil.
~I avoid all soy products - bad for thyroid amongst other things.
~I only use whole milk and avoid fat free and low fat dairy products whenever possible.
~I drink green tea and kombucha tea fairly regularly.
~I drink kefir and cultured coconut milk regularly, which means once or twice week.
~I start my days with O.J. or vanilla yogurtmixed with freshly ground flax seed most days.
~And I take my coffee BLACK... 1-2 cups a day.
~Drink lots of filtered (I have a reverse osmosis filter on my sink) water with lemon or lime juice added)
~I avoid all diet sodas... when I do drink soda it's regular dr.pepper, but only a couple times a week.
~A trip to DQ has me ordering the minature-sized blizzard, I think they call it the snack size... and that's not too often.
~Avoid fast food... unless it's a 6" subway or chipolte... pupusas on take out from my fav El Salvadorian Restaurant is a craving of mine a couple times a month which I don't neglect...
~I stop eating when full... maybe a bite or two of dessert (and I do mean a bite or two - no more, I simply savor it, no need for more)
~Try not to eat late at night... likewise try to eat breakfast. Not perfect about either.
~I eat only whole wheat bread MOST of the time (an exception is when I order an Italian Beef Sandwich from my local Chicago-style Deli)
~A handful of chips and other snacks is ok... if I'm really THAT hungry get a balanced meal... or at least a piece of fruit or raw veggies...
~I never feel guilty about leaving food on the plate, it's NOTHING compared to what the catering company I worked for at one time throws out.
~A quick meal @home for me is often salmon or a small steak grilled on my stove top Cast Iron Grill with frozen veggies sauteed in coconut oil.
~popcorn popped stove top in coconut oil is good for a snack
~brown rice, not white
~home cooked meals whenever possible, do OAMC (once a month cooking) to stock the deep freezer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 12:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Lipo

Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Can't help with the excess skin, but wanted to say WOW! Congrats on making changes in your life that you are comfortable with and make you feel and look healthier.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
Cocoa butter lotion. I know that sounds too easy, but it works. I've literally cut my weight in half (350ish --> 175ish) and have very little excess skin, but I also apply a Very liberal amount of cocoa butter lotion to all my problem areas (arms, legs, stomach, sides) every single morning and most people can't guess I wasn't naturally this weight. Not sure if the lotion was the only thing that did it or if I'm just lucky to have super elastic skin, but one of the two sure is working

BTW, definitely avoid surgery. Way too many horror stories and that stuff isn't cheap at all. An all-over body one would've cost me between $20K-25K and would also hurt like hell.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:07 PM

Wow! So you're saying what I see right in front of my own eyes and on my own body is not real? Glad you know more about me than I do..

BTW, calling someone fat isn't exactly nice and most would consider it offensive. I agree the OP should get down to an ideal body weight before doing something like surgery, but they have done a great job of losing weight and should be commended for it instead of insulted.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Great job!

Things that can/may help improve skin:
- Exercise - It will help tone your skin
- Low body fat - Having a lower body fat can help - Think muscular.Doesn't mean you have to be rail thin.
- Proper calcium and protein intake
- Sea salt soaks/scrubs and daily exfoliation

Give your skin at least 2 years at the same weight to recover from your loss. It probably will improve.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Cocoa butter can be effective if you are using it from the start. It won't "fix" the damage already existing to the skin though. The skin that isn't snapping back, is the result of having had it stretched beyond what it was able to tolerate, and so it became damaged. It probably -did- snap back somewhat, as far as I was able to go. The rest - is not going to snap back.

Charles's lipo suggestion is pointless, since lipo sucks out fat, and your concern is skin. rd2007's advice to continue losing some weight before opting for surgery is a great idea - and starting the cocoa butter now -might- help keep the skin from sagging even more than it is now, while you are losing that extra weight.

Once you've gotten within 15-20 pounds of whatever you would consider your "ideal" weight - that's when you see the surgeon for an initial consultation. Make sure it's a board-certified surgeon with privileges to your area's primary hospital. A tummy tuck could possibly also correct -some- of your previous scarring from your c-section (not likely to eliminate it, but it might minimize it).

Keeping your core and abdominals firm and fit is key to long-term success, so don't give up on exercising. And congrats on the work accomplished so far!

Old 11-23-2011, 03:15 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
My ex lost 100 lbs many years ago and was never happy with the way he looked, so after he became my ex he decided to have his tummy tuck done in the Dominican Republic. The cost was about 1/3 of what it would have been here, even with hotel and airfare, and they did a nice job. His family was freaking out though and thought they'd try to steal a kidney, and his mother got it in her head that he was going for a sex change operation. He thought it was worth every penny.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 PM

I think I should maybe list several of the things I've done since they match what quite a few others are posting and maybe the combination of all of them helps me. I exercised a LOT after the surgery, but have had to tone it down in order to not lose too much weight. I run mostly, but also do some simple weights and about 150 crunches. I eat very high protein, low carb, low fat, and my body fat is less than 5%. I also take a multivitamin with iron, Citrical, and something that has papaya enzymes in it to help my stomach process food. Maybe all that combined with the cocoa butter lotion (usually Vaseline brand) is what helped me, but my skin actually did snap back. After the huge burst of weight loss, I had saggy skin that bugged me and now it's almost totally gone even though I've lost a whole lot more weight since then. About the only way you can tell is if I bend over forward and all the loose skin moves to the very front. A lot also seems to sit on my butt for some reason, but that's a pretty good place to be since it's always covered up. It's still not bad at all, though, and nowhere near what I've seen with other people that have had GB surgery and lost a ton of weight.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Cocoa butter lotion. I know that sounds too easy, but it works. I've literally cut my weight in half (350ish --> 175ish) and have very little excess skin, but I also apply a Very liberal amount of cocoa butter lotion to all my problem areas (arms, legs, stomach, sides) every single morning and most people can't guess I wasn't naturally this weight. Not sure if the lotion was the only thing that did it or if I'm just lucky to have super elastic skin, but one of the two sure is working

BTW, definitely avoid surgery. Way too many horror stories and that stuff isn't cheap at all. An all-over body one would've cost me between $20K-25K and would also hurt like hell.
Actually I was thinking I might try this. I know the experts say it can't work, but with my first pregnancy I used it and got no stretch marks, but then I read that it doesn't really work so I let it pass on the second pregnancy and did get stretch marks. I doubt it will get you back to the body you'd have if you never got overweight, but it could help you look better than if you didn't use it and it's cheap and harmless. Does eating chocolate for the cocoa butter work as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss