Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
they need to get out of peoples homes what someone does with their child is their own business not the state of ohio's business...
What's somewhat inconsistent is the same people who condone the state interfering with a woman's right to choose are the same ones who don't believe they should interfere after a child is born. I'll bet the right wingers would probably say okay if it were a single mom but if there's a dad involved keep your hands off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 01:39 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
The issue is the interest we as a society have in the health of our children.

Since these children will consume more health care resources, paid for with insurance premiums or tax funds, the people who pay for the care should have a voice in how that money is spent. That includes preventing illness, if possible.

Obesity is a form of malnutrition. It is possible to be overfed with fat and sugar and miss out on vitamins and minerals.

The child who is dangerously underfed will die sooner than one who is dangerously overfed, but the obese child will usually become an obese adult with a shortened life expectancy.

The legal system will usually try to answer the question, "What is in the best interest of the child?

Keeping a child in the care of someone who cannot or will not feed the child properly is not in the best interest of the child. And in the long run, it is not in the best interest of our society.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:52 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
But one family who has been in the same position as the Ohio family told ABC News they disagreed with the practice when “Good Morning America” spoke with them in January.
“Literally, it was two months of hell. It seemed like the longest two months of my life,” mother Adela Martinez said.
Her daughter, 3-year-old Anamarie Regino, weighing 90 pounds, was taken from her parents and placed into foster care a decade ago.
Anamarie didn’t improve at all in foster care, and she was returned to her parents. The young girl was later diagnosed with a genetic predisposition.
Here's the problem with these heavy handed tactics. How much effort does the state expend in finding out if the parents are totally irresponsible or if the child has a medical problem? There is no easy solution to this problem but the govt is trying to oversimplify it--take the child away, give the child to parents of slim children and the child will lose weight. It might work, but at what cost? There needs to be another way to help a family besides just bullying their way in and taking a child away from their parents and besides, this are the same people who bring you those fabulous school lunches.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:01 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Here's the problem with these heavy handed tactics. How much effort does the state expend in finding out if the parents are totally irresponsible or if the child has a medical problem? There is no easy solution to this problem but the govt is trying to oversimplify it--take the child away, give the child to parents of slim children and the child will lose weight. It might work, but at what cost? There needs to be another way to help a family besides just bullying their way in and taking a child away from their parents and besides, this are the same people who bring you those fabulous school lunches.
I think they must have done this as a last resort. I think the only way this problem can be fixed is for the whole family to go through nutritional counseling and incentives be put in place. A mother who is obese herself will have little control over monitoring her child's food intake.
This is not an isolated problem. Childhood obesity is an epidemic. No one is getting mad enough to do anything about it. We have accepted ourselves as fat people with no desire to lose weight.
My goodness some of these threads are all about excuses as to why people cannot lose weight. Its our mindset. This is not the first child to be taken away and it will not be the last.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:22 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,839 times
You would find this item very interesting as well..
Quote:
The real reason this is happening is that Cuyahoga County is in the midst of a full-scale media driven foster care panic. After the Plain Dealer rediscovered the fact that the county has a child welfare agency and that sometimes children known to the system die a reporter who wanted to make a name for himself and an editorial writer who’s even worse rushed to scapegoat any and all efforts to keep families together. (Details are on our Child Welfare Blog here: )

With every caseworker running scared, they rushed to tear apart every family in sight. Removals of children have skyrocketed – with no regard for the enormous emotional trauma of removal itself or the fact that the rate of actual abuse in foster care is far higher than in the general population.

Now, a better Plain Dealer reporter notes this about the current case:

“Lawyers for the mother say they've been told that the foster mother who has the child in a neighboring suburb is having trouble keeping up with all of his appointments. There was even a discussion about getting the foster mother additional help or moving the child again, this time to a foster home with a personal trainer, [Juvenile Public Defender Sam] Amata said.

"I wonder why they didn't offer the mother that kind of extra help," Amata said.”

Good question.

Richard Wexler

Executive Director

National Coalition for Child Protection Reform

National Coalition for Child Protection Reform
You should read the NCCPR website to see whats happening you would find the system is out of control. You have to think about the fact that the social workers ARE NOT doctors and make these kidjackings based only on their observations at the time .. snap judgement stuff. They arent doctors and so far the kids doctors arent speaking out I agree that food wise people do not know what is good food or what portian control is . They need help to re learn the basics .

Old 11-28-2011, 08:35 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
they need to get out of peoples homes what someone does with their child is their own business not the state of ohio's business...
Oh yeah?
Stay out of the home and the business of parents who physically abuse their children? Sexually abuse them? Over-feed them until their health and even life is in peril?
Seriously?
Who steps in for a child when the parents are so ignorant and abusive that his / her life is in danger?
Your kind of attitude is what kept incest / child sexual abuse and other forms of abuse behind hidden doors for generation after generation.
Thankfully, despite the fact that children are still being abused all over this country, those secretive days are on the wane.
Over feeding a child like that is abusive ... intentional or not.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:38 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What's somewhat inconsistent is the same people who condone the state interfering with a woman's right to choose are the same ones who don't believe they should interfere after a child is born. I'll bet the right wingers would probably say okay if it were a single mom but if there's a dad involved keep your hands off.
Why are you bringing politics into this? It should not be anyone's business what people put in their mouth's or what they feed their children

Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
True...but you'll die of starvation a lot quicker than you will of obesity.

A couple recently lost their baby and ended up in jail for starving their infant because they didn't want her to get fat.

I can't find the article, but I read it about a week ago online.

I think this is the article you are referring to:

Wisconsin couple accused of starving infant daughter: parents were worried their daughter would become fat, prosecutors say

Read more: Wisconsin couple accused of starving infant daughter: parents were worried their daughter would become fat, prosecutors say - NY Daily News

Either extreme is just pathetic and wacky............haha, put your infant on a Vegan diet...........YIKES.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 PM

410 posts, read 742,966 times
Quote:
Why are you bringing politics into this? It should not be anyone's business what people put in their mouth's or what they feed their children
"Living in poverty is unfortunate but as long as I get my EBT & other government assistance I am good to go." Link to Original Quote by Treasured Jewel

You expect the government to interfere when you can't pay your bills, but not when parents are neglecting their children's health? Where is the sense in that?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:15 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I think this is the article you are referring to:

Wisconsin couple accused of starving infant daughter: parents were worried their daughter would become fat, prosecutors say

Read more: Wisconsin couple accused of starving infant daughter: parents were worried their daughter would become fat, prosecutors say - NY Daily News

Either extreme is just pathetic and wacky............haha, put your infant on a Vegan diet...........YIKES.

Thanks for the link...I was sickened when I read that article..more so than when I read about the obese kid. Starving is not a fun way to die.

Yeah..both extremes are pathetic, but what is the answer??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss