Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:22 AM

148 posts, read 644,853 times

Advertisements

I see more and more fat people walking down the street every day. Many of the people I know who have always been concerned about their appearance and weight in the past now seem to have lost interest and have just let them selves go. I suspect much of the reason is so many of their friends, relatives and peers have got fat so the stigma is gone.

If almost everyone you know is overweight, why go through the effort it takes to be slim? (other than health concerns of course)

I am afraid being very overweight is no longer a real concern with many Americans especially from small towns and working class communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 07:26 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,652 times
Personally, i don't know many people who are rediculously overweight, may be need to lose few pounds, but they always complain that they look fat LOL
Some go on diets, some realize health benefits of being slimmer and go exercise.
I have 1 friend who is may be 5-10 lb overweight, not fat mind you, she runs every day (or trying to).
If you are overweight and your friends are overweight, and neither one wants to do nothing about, then there is no encouragement from neither side.
If you surround yourself with fat people, you'd think it's ok to be fat...., well, it is, if you're OK with feeling like crap, high blood pressure, can't walk without running out of breath......
If those fat people put themselves into healthier environment, surround themselves with healthier people, may be they will see the benefit?

You are what you eat, and you are who your friends are.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:21 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,853 times
I think the stigma is still there. Occasionally, I come across an article that talks about the discrimination overweight people face.

The problem is twofold: inadequate nutrition and lack of exercise. Americans don't understand basic nutrition. They believe a lot of processed food is good for them. They drink Snapple, believing it's really fruit juice, which isn't good in large amounts, either. They munch on Caesar salads and congratulate themselves for healthy eating - I wish! I love those salads. They consume large quantities of sugar substitute and think they're doing their bodies a favor. They eat prepackaged food that's laden with corn syrup and salt and God knows what else instead of cooking a meal themselves, choose white rice over brown rice, eat mounds of pasta for a meal instead of serving it as a side. I could on and on. The lack of exercise is self-explanatory.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:35 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,853 times
Here's a fairly recent article, which is more on topic than my little rant above. Despite my beliefs, I do feel for people who struggle with weight. I've always been kind of normal-sized, but have been overweight before, especially post baby. I imagine the stigma isn't really placed on those who are a little overweight, but to those who seem to have lost all control. And, maybe if you are surrounded by other overweight people, then you tend to write off your own weight issues.

Stigma Of Obesity Not Easy To Shed, Obese People Report Painful Discrimination, Poor Emotional Health, Study Shows - CBS News

Old 07-06-2008, 02:52 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I see more and more fat people walking down the street every day. Many of the people I know who have always been concerned about their appearance and weight in the past now seem to have lost interest and have just let them selves go. I suspect much of the reason is so many of their friends, relatives and peers have got fat so the stigma is gone.

If almost everyone you know is overweight, why go through the effort it takes to be slim? (other than health concerns of course)

I am afraid being very overweight is no longer a real concern with many Americans especially from small towns and working class communities.
The airlines are contemplating weighing people when they buy their ticket and charging by the pound. They also have proposed charging for two tickets for any passenger who can't get the armrest down in a single seat.
What do you think that's going to do for the social "stigma" of being overweight?

Old 07-06-2008, 08:25 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,757 times
i think a lot of people worry about their weight but do nothing about it. shoot, i get made fun of by coworkers and friends for eating healthy. how stupid is that? yet, they b*tch and moan about being fat. i don't get it. i'm not going to lie...i just flew on Continental and saw some huge dude waiting to board the plane. i was not going to ride if he was next to me and i had to be uncomfortable. luckily..he wasn't in my row and he purchased two seats.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:00 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,632 times
People need to take responsibility for their own health and well being. It's easy to make excuses - we all could have reasons for being overweight. Eating healthier is something we should all aim to do - difficult or not.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:25 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
The airlines are contemplating weighing people when they buy their ticket and charging by the pound. They also have proposed charging for two tickets for any passenger who can't get the armrest down in a single seat.
What do you think that's going to do for the social "stigma" of being overweight?
I like the idea of charging for the second seat - ever taken a long flight sitting right next to someone that can't fit in thei seat? Not fun and I don't get full use of the seat I paid for.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
No, the stigma has not eased. It's still perfectly acceptable to demean and/or discriminate against people who are overweight.

Whether or not people are overweight by their own behavior should not be an issue. It is not OK to make fun of or discriminate against anyone.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:51 AM

410 posts, read 1,682,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
People need to take responsibility for their own health and well being. It's easy to make excuses - we all could have reasons for being overweight. Eating healthier is something we should all aim to do - difficult or not.

Jenna...a big thumbs up! Sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss