Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:41 PM

205 posts, read 740,386 times

Advertisements

I do not believe being over weight is always the person's own fault. The idea that you shouldn't hang with overweight people because 'you are who your friends are' sounds to me exactly like racial discrimination. People are people, whether their problems are mental or physical or visible to you or not.

I always was lucky enough to be born thin and not worried about gaining, then I grew these awful fibroids and look just like a very pregnant woman -- not gaining weight elsewhere, I look fat, I feel fat, I am always asked when I am going to have my baby and when people realize I am not pregnant they frequently get disgusted with me for not just having a hysterectomy. (There are physical reasons I dont' want to risk it, whether I should have done it 'sooner' or not can't be reversed now.)

I definitely feel the stigma of being 'fat'. I am hoping some things I am doing will work on this problem, but meanwhile -- yes, people treat you different when you're overweight than when you're not --- or, maybe they ESPECIALLY treat you different when you're overweight and didn't used to be.

Everyone knows it's a health issue, but please don't be judgmental towards people about it. Whether they are at fault or not, whether they could fix it or not, nobody likes being fat. Being plump, not slim, is another matter; people come in all shapes and sizes and genetics does dictate alot of that, we simply live in a society that worships thin-ness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 10:47 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice2 View Post
I do not believe being over weight is always the person's own fault. The idea that you shouldn't hang with overweight people because 'you are who your friends are' sounds to me exactly like racial discrimination. People are people, whether their problems are mental or physical or visible to you or not.

I always was lucky enough to be born thin and not worried about gaining, then I grew these awful fibroids and look just like a very pregnant woman -- not gaining weight elsewhere, I look fat, I feel fat, I am always asked when I am going to have my baby and when people realize I am not pregnant they frequently get disgusted with me for not just having a hysterectomy. (There are physical reasons I dont' want to risk it, whether I should have done it 'sooner' or not can't be reversed now.)

I definitely feel the stigma of being 'fat'. I am hoping some things I am doing will work on this problem, but meanwhile -- yes, people treat you different when you're overweight than when you're not --- or, maybe they ESPECIALLY treat you different when you're overweight and didn't used to be.

Everyone knows it's a health issue, but please don't be judgmental towards people about it. Whether they are at fault or not, whether they could fix it or not, nobody likes being fat. Being plump, not slim, is another matter; people come in all shapes and sizes and genetics does dictate alot of that, we simply live in a society that worships thin-ness.
Oh yeah, definitely true (what I bolded).

I think I'd have a much easier time of it (from my family) had I always been fat.. but no...I was a size 7 at 5'8", and a model, and a bikini contest winner, and so forth.

And no, the stigma is still alive and well. A funny thing I've noticed where I live: it's less socially acceptable to be overweight if you're white (as opposed to Hispanic).

Weird.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:22 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
When Fat people have medical problems its blamed on them being fat. When a skinny person has the same medical problem...I often wonder what they blame it on!
Any way skinny person at least gets I am so sorry your health is bad....
Us poor fat people get ...IF you would change your diet, If you would loose weight...IF IF IF. I keep wondering What does weight have to do with it?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No, the stigma has not eased. It's still perfectly acceptable to demean and/or discriminate against people who are overweight.

Whether or not people are overweight by their own behavior should not be an issue. It is not OK to make fun of or discriminate against anyone.

Absolutely! People do need to eat healthy, exercise etc. but it's easy to be critical without realizing what that person may be facing, already doing etc. If anything, I think our society is overly obsessed with being thin. It's a balance. (Ditto what Alice2 said.)

Old 07-10-2008, 10:04 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I like the idea of charging for the second seat - ever taken a long flight sitting right next to someone that can't fit in thei seat? Not fun and I don't get full use of the seat I paid for.
Yes. I have experienced a number of uncomfortable flights when I traveled for business. I have had 300 pounders overflowing on my left, while mothers with babies with gastrointestinal problems "annointed" me on my right. I have occasionally optioned to business or first class, but it is cost prohibitive, and many shorter flights are coach only.

I do agree with you that some morbidly obese passengers should be required to purchase two seats (or be stowed in the luggage compartment). On the counterpoint, airlines out of greed have narrowed the seats to an unreasonable size.

My primary point in responding to the OP was that the financial penalty of a two seat purchase, coupled with the public spectacle of being weighed, would certainly enhance the "social stigma".

Old 07-24-2008, 06:39 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No, the stigma has not eased. It's still perfectly acceptable to demean and/or discriminate against people who are overweight.

Whether or not people are overweight by their own behavior should not be an issue. It is not OK to make fun of or discriminate against anyone.

You are right, but ones inability to stay in shape/healthy points to other weaknesses . Like a visable tatoo, an obese body is often not what companies will hire first!
Our bodies are not made to carry around 200+ lbs!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:31 PM

285 posts, read 901,971 times
Kate1 I have been on both sides of the fence about weight and health problems. What our medical community does in most cases blame health problems on obese people (like you said) and it takes several visits before they believe its not caused by weight. A thin person goes in has the same health issue and is cared for on the spot with whatever it takes, meds, xray/MRI, bloodwork. I have now considered weight loss surgery first gastric bypass my insurance turned me down even though I met medical criteria it was not covered. The second time new insurance and I tried for the lap band denied for the same reasons. So now I see many that had the major surgery are getting fat again and getting 2nd surgeries to make the stomach smaller once again. The point is NOBODY that is over weight decides they want to be fat, rollercoaster (thats me). It is a major medical problem I believe being physical and or mental. But the current fixes along with doctors have still not found the real reasons for obesity. If anyone is mean enough to assume people who have weight issues is only a result of not eating right or going to the gym enough is truly clueless. If they make fun of a obese person they don't know that, that person has beaten themselves up more than you could even possibly imagine. I laugh when people pay to lift weights at the gym and it great but if you carry it on your frame you are weak. Oh recently I had a stress test on my heart, being concerned for the weight I had gained after my daughter. My heart is normal so I also believe only part of in "its hard on your heart". It might be that your genes put you at risk more. JMHO Oh when I was a size 7 I loved it but over my lifetime so far I think I've lost about 500 pounds at least. I'm sure before I die I will lose more and hope to die a size 7. I may look wrinkled and old but they can't say I died of being overweight.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:39 PM

Instead of surgery drink a glass of water 15 min before you eat... In between meals when you feel hungry drink water... Try it for 30 days.

Make sure the water you drink does Not have Salt or other aditives.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 PM

I have proved to my Dr that Fat has nothing to do with my Diabeaties. All I have to to is watch what I eat. So at this point in time while I am still Fat I no longer take meds.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:05 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,695 times
There is definitely still a negative stigma to being obese. In the operating room, we see sooooo many issues that could've simple been resolved by diet change. Gall bladders, for ex.- we take out a ton everyday, when cutting out fatty foods would help stop the painful gall bladder attacks. Instead, people will opt for surgery- "just fix it". Not, "hmm..it will be difficult, but yes, I'll eat healthier". Same w/ folks that have painful joints or trouble breathing. They just buy bigger clothes, wear oxygen and keep eating McDonald's and such. It is so hard for me to understand since you get just one body- why treat it so bad? The worst of it all is that we see obesity ( mainly the whole family ) in younger and younger children. Sad to set them up like that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss