Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:38 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Why are you bringing politics into this? It should not be anyone's business what people put in their mouth's or what they feed their children
Individual behavior has social consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
You would find this item very interesting as well..

You should read the NCCPR website to see whats happening you would find the system is out of control. You have to think about the fact that the social workers ARE NOT doctors and make these kidjackings based only on their observations at the time .. snap judgement stuff. They arent doctors and so far the kids doctors arent speaking out I agree that food wise people do not know what is good food or what portian control is . They need help to re learn the basics .
Yes I'm well aware of how flawed the foster system is, which is why I'm totally against the state going in and removing kids for this. These parents are not likely being willfully disobedient and many times obesity to that extreme will be due to some factor that is beyond the control of the parent, but the fact is that the family service officials are operating off of their own prejudices.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Thanks for the link...I was sickened when I read that article..more so than when I read about the obese kid. Starving is not a fun way to die.

Yeah..both extremes are pathetic, but what is the answer??
The answer? > Ignorant, semi-conscious (at best), unwell people should stop reproducing.
Actually, everybody should stop reproducing .... the planet has reached its limit in dealing with stupid humans!
We've done enough harm.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:37 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
[quote=Kim in FL;21907777]Thanks for the link...I was sickened when I read that article..more so than when I read about the obese kid. Starving is not a fun way to die.

Yeah..both extremes are pathetic, but what is the answer??[/quote]

3 meals a day.....no snacking, junk food very rarely and limit carbs because above a certain amount they are JUNK.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
"Living in poverty is unfortunate but as long as I get my EBT & other government assistance I am good to go." Link to Original Quote by Treasured Jewel

You expect the government to interfere when you can't pay your bills, but not when parents are neglecting their children's health? Where is the sense in that?
i dont know why you & everyone else are so obessed over my living situation. it is really starting to get annoying

a lot of children are fat why dont they rip their families apart as well. the discrimination against fat people in this country is ugly.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:17 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
i dont know why you & everyone else are so obessed over my living situation. it is really starting to get annoying

a lot of children are fat why dont they rip their families apart as well. the discrimination against fat people in this country is ugly.

Welcome to the club. From: Smokers

Here's the real question: When does it stop? What definition of "endangering" a child is beyond the reach of government? If obesity is within their grasp, what else will be in the future? Un-supervised play? Dangerous activities by parents (say..speeding)? Too much time outside (UV rays)? Not enough time outside? Not enough "physical activity?" Insufficient socialization? The list could be endless.

And, don't laugh. A couple of decades ago, the idea of government removing children from the care of their parents for being overweight was laughable. It's not now, is it?

How much of your rights as parents, or as individuals, are you willing to give up for the facade of "safety?"

Old 11-30-2011, 02:38 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:

The lack of personal responsibility by obese people is disgusting.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:46 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Welcome to the club. From: Smokers

Here's the real question: When does it stop? What definition of "endangering" a child is beyond the reach of government? If obesity is within their grasp, what else will be in the future? Un-supervised play? Dangerous activities by parents (say..speeding)? Too much time outside (UV rays)? Not enough time outside? Not enough "physical activity?" Insufficient socialization? The list could be endless.

And, don't laugh. A couple of decades ago, the idea of government removing children from the care of their parents for being overweight was laughable. It's not now, is it?

How much of your rights as parents, or as individuals, are you willing to give up for the facade of "safety?"
Re. smokers; the 2nd hand smoke they fill my lungs with is harmful to MY health! So banning smoking in public places is protecting MY health. Different scenario than what we have with the 200lb 8 year old!

On one hand, I have heard stories of child services taking kids out of homes when they shouldn't have. On the other hand, 200lb at 8 years old
IF the family was providing appropriate nutrition and supervision to this child then it IS heavy handed. IF child services did not provide information/education on how to provide proper nutrition then perhaps it is heavy handed. IF the parents supplied nothing but excuses, then the action was appropriate.
What would they have been expected to do if the kid weighed 20lb? Would the local government be meddling and heavy handed then? Or would it be a case of them stepping in to save the child's life?
BOTH are very serious situations!! But in regards to the obese kid, we hear the "Oh, they're prejudiced against fat people!" Give me a f-ing break!!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:28 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
On one hand, I have heard stories of child services taking kids out of homes when they shouldn't have. On the other hand, 200lb at 8 years old
IF the family was providing appropriate nutrition and supervision to this child then it IS heavy handed. IF child services did not provide information/education on how to provide proper nutrition then perhaps it is heavy handed. IF the parents supplied nothing but excuses, then the action was appropriate.
See here's the problem I have. I work at a HS in an area that is not wealthy by a long shot--it's a few cents short of being a ghetto. These kids eat like crap. Fruit Loops or pop tarts for breakfast; a rice krispie bar, potato chips and 2 gatorades for lunch; and lord knows what for dinner, but it probably either came from a freezer case or fast food place. That's on top of all the snacks and sodas the kids consume as well. Only half the kids are fat--some are quite thin, despite eating that way. Some are extremely obese, but I will assume that most of them eat approximately the same types of food. I had a girl complain to me yesterday that her mother overfeeds her and she'd like to lose weight but mom makes her clean up her plate. Yet the girl is simply overweight, not real fat.

Any third grader who makes it up to 200 lbs has either a medical problem or parents who tie them down and stuff food into their mouth. Since the latter is unlikely, chances are that the child has medical problems. There is no doubt that the parents feed the kid bad food which may account for the medical problems, but so many other people do too, and most get away with it. I guarantee there's not enough foster homes in our town to take in all the kids who eat crap at our school and no one would suggest it, but I do believe that these kids are setting themselves up for big time medical problems down the road, whether they're fat or thin right now.

If you believe that everything was tried and that family services exhausted every resource before making a judgment on whether to take this child, I have a fine bridge to sell for a very good price. I'm sure these people are quite conscientious--you'd have to be to get into that line of work, but they have their prejudices just like everyone else, and just from reading this board I get the impression that more than half of you would have taken that child too, w/o even considering the possibility of medical problems.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:42 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
I don't think that it's accurate to say that the 200 pound 8 year old is that heavy due to a medical problem (although she'll certainly develop serious health issues if she hasn't already).
I imagine that the parents have, at the very least, issues with food and obesity themselves and that the child is an extension of those issues ... and / or they're just incredibly unconscious and irresponsible about raising their child and have set the child up (emotionally, psychologically and psychically) to crave and therefore demand foods that are unhealthy and cause this kind of weight gain.
I was watching a program about a similar story on Dr. Phil ( ) a few weeks ago and the mother was over feeding her child for all sorts of reasons that had to do with her own emotional needs.
She was using food in relationship to her son in a very bizarre way.
If i remember correctly the child was only 3 or so. He was already obese!
She would coax him to eat even when he wasn't hungry and refusing the food but she insisted to Dr. Phil that she was doing every thing possible to address his obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss