Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 04:26 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,659,801 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know ALL carbs raise bld sugar via insulin response. But whole grains have fiber to slow absorption. But... isn't it best to reduce ALL grains & Dr Mercola, etc. says so online? I would think NO grains helps to lower even MORE the insulin response, thus saving the pancreas working, yes?

I'm lost here...

Thx...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 04:54 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,769,869 times
I don't get the whole grain/seven grain thing either. What was wrong with whole wheat? I keep thinking the grain breads have corn in them and that is not good for diabetics and people with diverticulitis.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,867,481 times
1. Stop reading the Mercola websites. They cause eye strain, anxiety, kidney failure, and severe, incurable brain cell damage.
2. Your body NEEDS insulin, and it NEEDS insulin response. That is a part of your organ function, it is one reason among many why your organs do what they do. However, some people over-consume things that cause their organs to stress, and other people under-consume things that cause those same organs to shut down. When your insulin production is off, then you need to make the appropriate dietary and (sometimes) pharmaceutical adjustments.

If you're hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and get a sudden insulin drop when you're hungry, then a piece of bread will usually bring your insulin level back up and keep you from passing out. Not everyone with insulin issues is diabetic; some of us are just the opposite. What one person needs to avoid, is not necessarily what everyone should avoid, just because it causes that one person to get sick. That same substance might be something that saves another person's life.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 AM

17,581 posts, read 39,285,912 times
Ahhh the great "Dr. Mercola"...... I wish he would just go away. He's just a modern snake oil salesman with a bunch of expensive products to push.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,662 times
For me and the folks in my family who have blood sugar issues, whole grains do cause a larger spike in blood sugar that causes symptoms for me and causes the insulin release which then makes me crave more grains - so I limit them severely. I get plenty of carbs through vegetables to keep myself going

For most people, I do not think this is an issue, but it can be for some people. I saw a naturopath for a while and we played with my diet to see what would work best to keep my sugars level and my appetite in check. I used the blood glucose meter to keep tabs and kept an extensive log. Things like Dreamfield's pasta cause a very late spike for me - 2 to 3 hours after ingestion. The portion size also is very important with whole grains, as a huge portion would cause more blood sugar fluctuation.

If I eat a good clean diet rich with whole grains, or even a vegetarian diet, I will gain weight and my immune system practically immediately dips down a notch.

Hope this helps you.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:33 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,852,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1. Stop reading the Mercola websites. They cause eye strain, anxiety, kidney failure, and severe, incurable brain cell damage.
2. Your body NEEDS insulin, and it NEEDS insulin response. That is a part of your organ function, it is one reason among many why your organs do what they do. However, some people over-consume things that cause their organs to stress, and other people under-consume things that cause those same organs to shut down. When your insulin production is off, then you need to make the appropriate dietary and (sometimes) pharmaceutical adjustments.

If you're hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and get a sudden insulin drop when you're hungry, then a piece of bread will usually bring your insulin level back up and keep you from passing out. Not everyone with insulin issues is diabetic; some of us are just the opposite. What one person needs to avoid, is not necessarily what everyone should avoid, just because it causes that one person to get sick. That same substance might be something that saves another person's life.
This has me even more confused. My body needs an insulin response or my organs will shut down? I've never heard that before.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
This has me even more confused. My body needs an insulin response or my organs will shut down? I've never heard that before.
And you haven't heard it yet, either. It isn't what I wrote. Here's what I wrote, with regards to organs shutting down:

Quote:
However, some people over-consume things that cause their organs to stress, and other people under-consume things that cause those same organs to shut down.
Perhaps a paragraph line was in order, but I did connect the first and second thoughs in that paragraph with a "however."

Old 01-20-2012, 06:27 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,852,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
2. Your body NEEDS insulin, and it NEEDS insulin response. That is a part of your organ function, it is one reason among many why your organs do what they do.
Mmm, this was the line that made me wonder if that's what you meant. I thought the main role for insulin was fat storage. Those of us who are overweight probably have too much floating around unless we're diabetic. Do we get diabetic because we run out of insulin from using it too quickly, or do we get so insulin resistant that we can't use it anymore? Either way I should think it would be best to keep it as low as possible to maintain a healthy weight.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:39 AM

If your own insulin production is too low, you are diabetic and need to take insulin from external sources to compensate.

The most "notable" function of insulin is to remove excess glucose from the blood. Excess glucose is toxic, and insulin maintains a safe, healthy level of glucose in your bloodstream. Excess glucose is not always caused by eating too many sweets, or too many carbs, or whatever else. But those are the most common dietary causes of excess glucose. And that is why diet/weight/insulin share such a close relationship with each other.

Insulin also has effects on memory and cognition, and serves several other functions as a hormone produced naturally by the pancreas. Without insulin, these functions can't be served, OR can't be served efficiently, and the body suffers to one extent or the other.

Insulin, just like other hormones in produced by organs, serves at least one critical function, and several lesser functions. It shares a symbiosis with other hormones (meaning, they all work in tangent - they rely on each other to work efficiently as a whole).

Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,328,514 times
I do wonder if you really need whole grains if you eat a lot of vegetables. Seems you'll get the necessary and fiber by eating a wide variety of veggies on a daily basis. I haven't eaten any whole grains in months and I haven't noticed any ill effects. In fact it seems my digestion has improved quite a bit by switching from grains to vegetables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss