Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
So, the past few months I've had several older people mention "hey you're getting fat and you'd better watch out".
"hey you're getting fat and you'd better watch out" could be a concerned but not intentionally offensive remark.

Mortified? That's pretty a pretty heavy word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 03:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Very good.... my daughter has always had problems with her weight and is drop dead gorgeous. I always told her to respond with "yeah? I might be overweight but you're ugly and I can always lose weight". I just never knew that size 8 being loose would ever be considered fat.
That would work if the nasty commenter was ugly.

Also, if the commenter is ugly, plastic surgery is easier than keeping weight off.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:07 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,739,584 times
Quote:
So, the past few months I've had several older people mention "hey you're getting fat and you'd better watch out".

I'm 45 and during the winter months I don't work as strenously as the summer ones, besides I live in a typical climate along the Canadian border where below zero is normal. After decades of being in such stressful relationships that I existed on red bull and maybe ate one meal every 2 days I wonder if people never saw me as healthy before. If I look at pics of those times I saw a kinda anorexic looking size 4 that was too stressed to eat. I knew what was going on inside and I know that caused the effect. Now it's winter, I am happy, I have peace in life, I eat and I'm a size 8 with room to spare and need a belt. Summer, I go back to a six. I've never owned a scale since I don't view myself as a number. I'm definitely not into clothes, being a GC and all but I DO read magazines.

Have people REALLY become so blindsided by advertising/media that a person that gains to almost a size 8, with winter "insulation" , is called fat? Me....I'm 5'7" w/pretty solid muscular build. Dragging bundles of shingles up to roofs in the summer does that to you. Never thought I'd hear those remarks in my life. Not that I really give a rat's arse and know people are shallow but I guess I can STILL be surprised!
Next time, tell'em:

"You don't f***ing feed me. I buy my food with my own money, wrinkles"

Old 02-03-2012, 04:49 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,411,735 times
Quote:

Have people REALLY become so blindsided by advertising/media that a person that gains to almost a size 8, with winter "insulation" , is called fat? Me....I'm 5'7" w/pretty solid muscular build. Dragging bundles of shingles up to roofs in the summer does that to you. Never thought I'd hear those remarks in my life. Not that I really give a rat's arse and know people are shallow but I guess I can STILL be surprised!

Either those people are really petty or they got used to you being on the too thin.

I wouldn't pay any attention to them. Size 8 at 5'7" is not heavy at all.

Some people will always be petty. Just ignore them. If you are happy and feel healthy then that is all that matters

Old 02-04-2012, 07:41 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
So much of this is opinion.

If you honestly want un-biased feedback on exactly who and what is under-weight, or normal, or over-weight; then I suggest you look at a BMI or height to weight chart.

All health and medical organizations have them.

Height and Weight Chart - height weight chart, weight height chart

and

Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,193,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"hey you're getting fat and you'd better watch out" could be a concerned but not intentionally offensive remark.

Mortified? That's pretty a pretty heavy word.

I suppose I was "mortified" because when I was miserable in life and could scarcely be able to function from lack of food, they all thought I looked GREAT. Yes, I know definitions of words and it fits the bill in my book. (you might define it as disillusionment, but I am able to enunciate my own feelings thanks).

Mortified is probably based on the acknowledgement of such shallowness in people I considered friends. If they are so inclined to notice, then why not have equal concern upon the verge of anorexia? No wonder so many women feel bad and slammed by the masses! Shameful behavior. Mind you, NOW I really get it!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
OP: that's just obnoxious. There are a lot of people who are clueless.

For the record: I am working on dropping some pounds to get to an 8ish. And I know on my it would look pretty skinny.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:29 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,901 times
Quote:

I'm 45 and during the winter months I don't work as strenously as the summer ones, besides I live in a typical climate along the Canadian border where below zero is normal. After decades of being in such stressful relationships that I existed on red bull and maybe ate one meal every 2 days I wonder if people never saw me as healthy before. If I look at pics of those times I saw a kinda anorexic looking size 4 that was too stressed to eat. I knew what was going on inside and I know that caused the effect. Now it's winter, I am happy, I have peace in life, I eat and I'm a size 8 with room to spare and need a belt. Summer, I go back to a six. I've never owned a scale since I don't view myself as a number. I'm definitely not into clothes, being a GC and all but I DO read magazines.

Couple thoughts:
1- maybe with all the yo-yo weight you are a higher body fat than you think?

2- people love to point it out when skinny people get fatter

3- its just a joke as inL "oh yeh..an 8 is just soooo fat " (sarcastic)

4- do you gain it all in one place?

Old 02-06-2012, 06:51 AM

20,940 posts, read 28,459,867 times
I know someone who had the opposite said to him. He got gastric bypass surgery, joined weight watchers, exercised and lost 200 lbs. He told me he saw an old friend he had not seen in 3 years. The friend said to him " hey look at you! Didn't you you used be really fat and obese?" he was like nice to see you again and walked away.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,975,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
So much of this is opinion.

If you honestly want un-biased feedback on exactly who and what is under-weight, or normal, or over-weight; then I suggest you look at a BMI or height to weight chart.

All health and medical organizations have them.

Height and Weight Chart - height weight chart, weight height chart

and

Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator
NO!! Absolutely NO NO NO!!! BMI is useless baloney that she NEVER be considered and/or spoken about. Its nothing but a system created and funded by insurance companies and their "researchers" as a method to charge more for health insurance for certain people. BMI should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER be considered and or used. I am a trainer and have trained doctors, professional athletes, nutritionists, obese to morbidly obese, and in all my travels of speaking to people in the KNOW in health/fitness, NO ONE uses BMI as a tool because it is SEVERELY flawed. Personal trainers dont use it, gyms worth their salt dont use it, no one who are really in the know uses it. Heck, even the doctors I know say its baloney.

As far as the weigh remarks go. Im thinking the OP should be thankful that her family members mentioned it. Lot of times, people kinda sorta "think" that they may be gaining weight/getting unhealthy, etc. and dont do anything about it. Sometimes, it takes the to-the-point words of loved ones to help stop us from that downward spiral to poor health. If I start to put on some poundage, Mrs. Lao is the first one to say something and I appreciate and love her for it. Same with me, if I notice she starts to pack it on, I say something to her and she fixes it right away.

Its like a cancer. Imagine if cancer was visible, and all your friends and family see it growing and growing on you but never say anything about it. I think its the same. You should be THANKFUL that they mention it before it gets too out of hand. That is completely how the wife and I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss