Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:22 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1. You will not be permanently happy. Human beings are not capable of "permanent" happiness. We have ups and downs, hormonal changes that shift our moods, experiences in life that bring joy and sorrow. To everything there is a season, and so on and so forth.
2. Friends are not capable of "keeping" you happy. You're either happy or you're not; friends don't make you that way. Happiness is a personal response to data input, just like most emotions and feelings. It is how YOU respond, to whatever life throws at you. It is also a state of mind; happy people can have moments of sadness and anger, and still be considered happy people. Depressed people can have moments when things are going swell and life is awesome, but they're still considered depressed people.

Your diet and weight and motivation have *nothing* to do with friends, and *nothing* to do with "keeping you" happy. They are entirely internal issues, that have *everything* to do with you. You have to face yourself, and accept responsibility for your own body, and your own emotional situation. Get help outside yourself if you need it, but own it as YOUR problem. No one else is responsible for making you happy, or thin, or motivated, or healthy. It's all on you.
I had a feeling what that I still wouldn't be clear. Sorry, I'm usually tired on Mondays. What I meant by "permanent" happiness is being a happy person who has his down moments, like you said. I know friends won't be capable of always making me happy, just the fact that I have friends will keep me a happy person, which is what I meant by "permanent".

And yes, I say my diet and weight loss motivation do have to do with friends and keeping me happy. What is so wrong with that? I never said other people are responsible for keeping me happy, thin, motivated or healthy. The people are just sources of happiness that make me feel good about myself which will motivate me to reach my other goals that make me happy. Understand now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 03:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Yes, but I still disagree. Those things are not -sources- of happiness. Again - happiness is internal. It is not external. Those other things can trigger emotional spikes, bursts of enjoyment, amusement, etc.

But happiness, contentment, is exclusively dependent on yourself. If you are not happy *with yourself* alone, without any external sources, then you are not a happy person. The ONLY way you can be a happy person, is to be happy with YOU. Everything else is just a trigger for emotional response. And definitely *not* a cause for the emotions.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
I had a feeling what that I still wouldn't be clear. Sorry, I'm usually tired on Mondays. What I meant by "permanent" happiness is being a happy person who has his down moments, like you said. I know friends won't be capable of always making me happy, just the fact that I have friends will keep me a happy person, which is what I meant by "permanent".

And yes, I say my diet and weight loss motivation do have to do with friends and keeping me happy. What is so wrong with that? I never said other people are responsible for keeping me happy, thin, motivated or healthy. The people are just sources of happiness that make me feel good about myself which will motivate me to reach my other goals that make me happy. Understand now?
Do you just mean part of having a happy life includes friends?

Thats normal. But it shouldn't be the only thing. This round you should look for additional things that make you happy too.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,497,250 times
Follow these simple rules:

1. Don't diet. Diets don't work - none of them. Eat and drink what you want, and don't deny yourself what you like - it won't work.

2. Only eat when you are really hungry. Don't eat because it's time to eat; or because you are bored and have nothing better to do; or because you are depressed. If you are hungry at 2:00 a.m., have something then; but unless you are a farmer doing hard labor from dawn to dusk, there's no need to eat "three square meals" every day. You don't need it, and shouldn't want it.

3. When you dine, only eat and drink a little. You can eat pizza; but there's no need to eat the whole pie; and likewise, you can enjoy beer without drinking the whole six-pack - thirst should be slaked not quenched.

4. Eat very, very slowly. This is the success of the French, who take a leasurely two hours for lunch; and the failure of American fast-food culture, in a hurry, rushing down the street talking on a cellphone and wolfing down a "Big Mac."

5. Don't exercise while losing weight. Take a walk after dinner; it aids the digestion, and takes the mind off the worries of the day.

Life is too short to deny the pleasures of the table. Indulge them; but don't over-indulge. That's the way to go.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:23 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Follow these simple rules:

1. Don't diet. Diets don't work - none of them. Eat and drink what you want, and don't deny yourself what you like - it won't work.

2. Only eat when you are really hungry. Don't eat because it's time to eat; or because you are bored and have nothing better to do; or because you are depressed. If you are hungry at 2:00 a.m., have something then; but unless you are a farmer doing hard labor from dawn to dusk, there's no need to eat "three square meals" every day. You don't need it, and shouldn't want it.

3. When you dine, only eat and drink a little. You can eat pizza; but there's no need to eat the whole pie; and likewise, you can enjoy beer without drinking the whole six-pack - thirst should be slaked not quenched.

4. Eat very, very slowly. This is the success of the French, who take a leasurely two hours for lunch; and the failure of American fast-food culture, in a hurry, rushing down the street talking on a cellphone and wolfing down a "Big Mac."

5. Don't exercise while losing weight. Take a walk after dinner; it aids the digestion, and takes the mind off the worries of the day.

Life is too short to deny the pleasures of the table. Indulge them; but don't over-indulge. That's the way to go.
Don't exercise while losing weight? Thats a head scratcher.
While your list of rules is on the right track, I think a lot of people NEED the discipline of eating a certain way. And the focus should be on eating healthy foods. And as far as drinking goes, water should be drank to quench.
If one is drinking a whole six pack at a time I seriously doubt they give two rips about their diet.

The word diet is misunderstood. It is a noun and a verb. When I say 'my diet' is does not mean that I am necessarily 'on a diet'.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
I worked hard and made progress with that 30 pounds gone and now I have to do it all over again and then even more.
Just like the 95% percent of everyone else who has lost 30 pounds umpteen times. No one has found a silver bullet solution yet.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Just like the 95% percent of everyone else who has lost 30 pounds umpteen times. No one has found a silver bullet solution yet.
The solution is to make exercise a habit. Once you can do that its relatively easy to maintain ones weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss