Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times

Advertisements

I used to do cardio before weights and i always thought I got in a great workout, and I am sure I did. But since changing it up I find I can push myself farther with strength training and do it for longer. Sometimes I will cycle or run for 20 minutes after. Sometimes not.
I have also dedicated days to cardio only since I am training for a tri. I will do cycle, run and swim. On my strength days I do a lot of combination exercises that work a lot of muscles at once. I no longer dedicate days to just lower or upper body. I have found since switching I am getting better workouts all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 AM

207 posts, read 566,340 times
I did want to mention one thing about working out... Diet is probably the most important aspect of all. Without watching what you eat no amount of exercise is going to help. Unless of course you are in intense training for a marathon or some event like that. Then more than likely you do choose a healthy clean diet when training.

It's a combination of diet and exercise that can get you where you want to be

Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,488,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Also, something I've learned - don't eat -immediately- before a workout. Can cause a blood sugar spike and make you dizzy. Eat like, 1/2 hour to 1 hour before the workout. So that there's fresh fuel in your body, but it's already started digesting.
Is there a particular food that is the best to eat an hour before the workout? Every morning I eat whole grain oatmeal, with a few fresh blueberries and sweetend with Stevia. Somewhere I heard that eating carbs before a workout is good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

A few weeks ago I walked 5 miles on the treadmill before strength training, and did the elliptical for an hour afterward. I don't know what got into me ... LOL
Wow that makes me tired reading that! Yesterday I lifted weights for 15 minutes and then attended an hour Zumba class, and I was exausted. I was going to do the elliptical machine before the weights and then Zumba...glad I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Its personal preference, but I subscribe to the weights first cardio second and tell everyone I train to do this as well.

What is OPTIMUM, and what I do, is split the workouts into 2x per day. I know its tough for most but I do this while working fulltime (50 hour per week) job and having to take care of the 3 year old as soon as I get home in the evening. But it can be done.

Best:
Early morning cardio. Run or HIIT.
Afternoon or evening - Strength training.

Not as good but still effective:
Warmup - jump rope or 5 minutes medium to high intensity on the elliptical
Weight train
Cardio
Sounds like a good exercise plan. I think I would have to do mine all at once rather than split it. How much time should be devoted to the weight training...a half hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I have also dedicated days to cardio only since I am training for a tri. I will do cycle, run and swim. On my strength days I do a lot of combination exercises that work a lot of muscles at once. I no longer dedicate days to just lower or upper body. I have found since switching I am getting better workouts all around.
I think that's a good idea switching up the type of exercise. I noticed in our Zumba class, one day they would work on abs at the end of the class and then the other day, legs and thighs. I also want to try switching up the cardio, zumba, then eliptal, then spin. I get bored with the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
I did want to mention one thing about working out... Diet is probably the most important aspect of all. Without watching what you eat no amount of exercise is going to help. Unless of course you are in intense training for a marathon or some event like that. Then more than likely you do choose a healthy clean diet when training.

It's a combination of diet and exercise that can get you where you want to be
I totally agree! I am doing the weight watchers and I feel I am eating quite healthy. My problem is I can't stick with an exercise program for very long. It takes both. I don't see how people can lose weight without eating properly. Many people think they will "diet" just to lose the weight, but eating right is a way of life.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:01 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,058,663 times
I warm up for about 5-8 minutes with cardio, then do weights, then do 30 minutes of cardio.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 AM

46 posts, read 144,155 times
I only jump on the treadmill for 5-10 minutes before my strength training workouts to warmup. There is no need to do extensive cardio on the days I lift weights which is M-W-F. I do my cardio at the gym on Tues. and Thurs. by spending 10 to 15 minutes on the treadmill, then on the elliptical, then on the stationary bike for a total of 45 minutes. This way I have plenty of energy on all 5 days, and I don't get bored with my routines. On the weekends-NO GYM! I just walk 3 miles a day around my community on Sat. and Sun. enjoying some fresh air, sunshine, and my chats with the neighbors.

Each of us has to adapt an eating and exercise plan that suits our individual needs.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:50 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,633 times
i do intense cardio first because the energy/endorphin rush powers me through the strength sessions.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:45 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i do intense cardio first because the energy/endorphin rush powers me through the strength sessions.
That is what I do as well. I have tried doing strength first but I get a better workout if I do it last.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:10 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,623,521 times
I am a fan of doing both at once.

A strength training session should also be designed to also train the cardiovascular system......a cardio session should be designed to also build strength.

That is why I am not a big fan of doing a workout that is MAINLY designed to emphasis one over the other. Seems like in real life, many things require strength and endurance at the same time.

I would rather do a brisk 30 minute walk with a 30 pound pack on....as opposed to running on a treadmill for 30 minutes.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:39 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,801 times
If you talk to 10 different trainers, you'll get 10 different approaches to this issue and each one will be passionate about the fact that they are right. I'd say try what your trainer is suggesting and if it doesn't work for you then find another trainer with a different approach.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:49 AM

17,546 posts, read 39,171,450 times
These days I mix it up. I work out at home using a "Total Trainer" home gym, a few dumbbells and resistance bands. I put on some hard rock music and start doing the weights and intersperse with crazy aerobic dancing to get my heart rate up! I do this non-stop for an hour.

Separately from this at different times of day I ride my bike for one hour +, and take walks after dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss