Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times

Advertisements

Everyone has to have some form of fat in their diet and "fat free" foods are not the end all to losing weight. If one would actually read the label one would find that a lot of fat free foods have more calories per serving than the non fat free equivalent food.

The key is moderation, moving and hydration. You can eat anything you want as long as it is in moderation. You only need to walk for 20 minutes a few days a week to burn more calories than sitting on the couch watching television. You must keep your body hydrated for it to continue to function properly.

Over the last 14 years I have lost 500 pounds, no surgery, no Jenny Craig, no Weight Watchers, no starving myself. It was a complete lifestyle change. For the first couple months I quit eating fast food, quit drinking pop (soda, pepsi), and quit eating sweets. I replaced those things with healthier choices like eating at home, grilling more, keeping water and iced tea available all the time. I started walking 2 miles each day, 1 mile in the morning and 1 mile in the evening. I did not walk fast I just walked at the pace I normally walk. This is not an easy task to change your lifestyle, there is withdrawal when you stop eating what is considered junk food. There is a complete lifestyle change. It is like quitting smoking or giving up caffeine, it can be done but not easily and not quickly.

I found a bagel I liked without using cream cheese, I would have 1 serving of whatever food I was eating, I do not use anything diet, fat free, sugar free or taste free. I did not give up cream and sugar for my coffee, I did not give up real sugar for my tea, I will never give up real butter and I refuse to eat or drink anything that does not have flavor.

I started getting more fresh produce and steaming vegetables, I am a carnivore and my favorite summer food is a grilled hamburger with tomato and mayo on a bun. I did not give up bread or pasta or chips I did however, limit the amount of each food. I would eat 2 slices of pizza instead of 4, if I had a sweet craving I bought a regular size package of M &M peanut and I ate the red ones and the blue ones and gave the rest away. I started eating oatmeal for breakfast a few times a week, I found blueberry bagels that I liked without using cream cheese. Things like this are what help you change your lifestyle and eating habits for long term success.

A couple years ago my husband was diagnosed with diabetes and I discovered a website that is geared toward diabetics however, the information they provide is not limited to diabetics. Weight Watchers is also a good program that provides long term success.

Moderation, moving, hydration, very simple, to the point, long term success and you don't have to give up a thing. The right combination of foods in the right amounts, walking, water. I also take a multi vitamin daily but I also have another health issue so there are medications as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Because people are lazy and want a quick and easy fix. It's harder to eat right, eat less and move more.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:41 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Over the last 14 years I have lost 500 pounds, no surgery, no Jenny Craig, no Weight Watchers, no starving myself. It was a complete lifestyle change.
Congratulations!

And I'm totally with you on the fat free thing. The products that claim to be fat-free, taste terrible - who would want to eat them? Just eat the real thing, but less of it!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:55 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Actuall,fat free foods have less calories but more carbs than regular food.
For me,I count calories to lose weight.
I also started eating more low carb foods like low carb bread and using almond flour.

Plus,walking isn't enough,and I can't repeat that often enough.
You HAVE to lift weights.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:38 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I also started eating more low carb foods like low carb bread and using almond flour.

This!
Also, it's more realistic to use "reduced fat" a opposed to "fat free". The less ingridients the better on most store bought canned/bottled goods.
Thanks for sharing OP!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Congratulations and even more praise for sharing. Lifestyle change is the only way to go. "Fat Free" is nothing but nasty! I have never had a great problem with my weight but it gets tougher after 50 years of age and you have to make adjustments. Adjustments are hard. I do walk a lot and that is my saving grace since I cook from scratch and yum! Everyone listen to OP, it can be done - walking is a lifesaver!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times
Quote:

So true. I could never lose much weight but now that I have started strenth training 3 times a week. The weight is coming off.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:

I have never lifted weights in my entire life and do not plan on lifting weights ever and I have lost over 500 pounds from lifestyle change and walking, no weights, no jogging, walking.

So maybe you need to lift weights but I do NOT need to lift weights.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:49 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Quote:
Sometimes they have less calories, but not always. If they add sugar to make up for the lack of fat, a product can have more calories.

Best to just avoid that junk all together and eat real food. No one needs more chemicals in their diet.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Sometimes they have less calories, but not always. If they add sugar to make up for the lack of fat, a product can have more calories.

Best to just avoid that junk all together and eat real food. No one needs more chemicals in their diet.
Exactly. In fact, you could eat a 1/2 pound chunk of rock candy, which has zero fat...and you would have just eaten around 800 calories total.

Then there are the things that claim to be low fat, but the amount is based on an unreasonably small portion size. So if you were to eat a normal portion of the food (not a huge restaurant, just a normal human serving size), you'd actually be eating a normal amount of fat per serving. Not low, not high - just normal. And that adds up, if you're trying to eat low fat. Because you need to eat -two- portions, according to the nutritinal guide on the back of the package, in order to have a normal amount.

Like - trying to drink tea. No one pours half a cup of tea and calls it a full serving. But some bottled pre-made tea considers half a cup to be a normal serving size. So you have to drink -two- servings, according to them, to have one normal serving. Which also means you're consuming twice the sugar as the "serving size" they claim is the assumed serving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss