Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM

17,416 posts, read 16,579,569 times

Advertisements

Are your ankles, face or hands swollen? If so check your blood pressure ASAP (you should be doing this on a regular basis anyway) and monitor your salt intake.

Also, be sure that you're drinking lots of water. Weirdly enough, that will help you not to retain water..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,049,696 times
Walking 2 miles is NOTHING. Neither is 'watching' what you eat, if you're just watching the food go into your piehole.

Keep a food diary for a week and write down EVERYTHING that passes your lips or even touchs your lips for a taste.

It's obvious you are still taking in more than your burning. And 1000 calories a week???? That's nothing when you're shoving in 2500 or a more a DAY.

If you have't seen your doctor in awhile, you need to before you start any lifestyle change ( notice I didn't say diet...it's not a diet...it's a lifestyle)

Old 04-13-2012, 05:16 PM

326 posts, read 704,939 times
How strenuous are your walking exercises? If your body has become accustomed to the routine then you will cease making gains in your overall metabolism. Try working in some faster walks or even jogs into the routine and also mix in some strength building in the legs. One other consideration is perhaps using 1g of resveratrol a day - jury is still out on this but give it a shot for a month or two as it may lead to some extra energy boost and extra gains in your metabolism.

I also second what the poster above me wrote... I would increase the intensity of the work outs - run your food diary past some people to see if there are any missteps and if everything appears to be that you should be losing weight but you aren't then you may indeed have a metabolic disorder preventing the weight loss.

Last edited by Sciameriken; 04-13-2012 at 05:56 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 06:38 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,204,311 times
Along with re-evaluting your diet..most definitely you should re-vamp your exercise program. Just walking just doesnt burn the calories. You are not asking enough of your body. How hard are you breathing when you are 'walking'? Do you feel totally wiped out after a workout? Within reason, of course.

Just doing steady state exercise doesnt cut it. You need to turn up the intensity on the treadmill, go faster for a while..then even faster..then slow it down, etc. Vary the intensity of the exercise.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:45 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,269,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
How many days per week are you exercising? If it is more than two times a week, a thousand calories is not a lot at all.

You're taking in more calories than you are burning so you either have to up the intensity and burn more calories, or take in less calories.
Thanks everyone for the input and will take it all into consideration. I am 64 years old, and waaaay past menopause. As a matter of fact I breezed right thru menopause without any issues at all. I agree, less calories and up my walk intensity. One problem: I had an upper thoracic aneurysm surgery about 3 years ago and because I was put on a machine during the surgery, my left leg has partial numbness so I have to be extra careful while walking that I don't crash into the control panel if going to fast (it happened one time already and the machine shut off automatically). Anyhow, I see the cardiologist in a month and the good news is my blood presssure is perfect since I have been walking and I am NOT gonna let this beat me down. Was angry at first but determined now. Thanks again everyone!

Old 04-14-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Are your ankles, face or hands swollen? If so check your blood pressure ASAP (you should be doing this on a regular basis anyway) and monitor your salt intake.

Also, be sure that you're drinking lots of water. Weirdly enough, that will help you not to retain water..
Nope, no swelling of ankles, face or hands..as a matter of fact although still chubby from too much weight, I am a pretty cute old lady..64 years old. My BP is 120/70, sugar 86, cholesterol 190 triglicerides 52..super good numbers, no? I just upped my intake of water and heard on TV with Doctor Travis that ice water is the best cuz your body has to warm the water up and that burns some calories, minimal but can be up to 500 more I week! Can you imagine? Thanks for the input...every bit helps and will assit me in getting the last 80 lbs off! Such a battle!!

Old 04-14-2012, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Thanks everyone for the input and will take it all into consideration. I am 64 years old, and waaaay past menopause. As a matter of fact I breezed right thru menopause without any issues at all. I agree, less calories and up my walk intensity. One problem: I had an upper thoracic aneurysm surgery about 3 years ago and because I was put on a machine during the surgery, my left leg has partial numbness so I have to be extra careful while walking that I don't crash into the control panel if going to fast (it happened one time already and the machine shut off automatically). Anyhow, I see the cardiologist in a month and the good news is my blood presssure is perfect since I have been walking and I am NOT gonna let this beat me down. Was angry at first but determined now. Thanks again everyone!

thanks for the info!! At this point, start with your diet...keep that food diary...you can print some of the internet or make your own or use a phone app...whichever is easier for YOU to track what you ate, when you ate and how much you ate.

Have you tried walking outside instead of using a treadmill? I like treadmills ok, but walking outside ( for me ) is the way to go...the fresh air the different scenery.

Don't give up....ever...you can do this!

Old 04-14-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
thanks for the info!! At this point, start with your diet...keep that food diary...you can print some of the internet or make your own or use a phone app...whichever is easier for YOU to track what you ate, when you ate and how much you ate.

Have you tried walking outside instead of using a treadmill? I like treadmills ok, but walking outside ( for me ) is the way to go...the fresh air the different scenery.

Don't give up....ever...you can do this!
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I am going to try alternating with walking outside. Had to wait for our pollen count to go down it has been 11 out of 12..just awful. I do think that I was taking in way too many calories and a food diary is a great idea.

About 3 years ago, I had open heart surgery for an upper aortic aneurysm..a very serious issue that I never even knew I had. At that time, I was pushing 300 lbs and am only 5'3" tall and was scared to death that the doctor would tell me I was too fat to operate on. It was quite the opposite, he said although seriously overweight, I was in good shape...and..I think this is because I was so active prior to surgery, played softball for years, swim laps in our pool..just loved to eat! LOL. I had to not push myself for about 3 months after surgery and couldn't move do to some nerve damage in my left leg from being hooked on a machine for hours during surgery.

Nuff said about my health issues, I am sounding like the 64 year old woman I am..LMAO or is that LMDO (laughing my dentures out)..Thanks again I so appreciate the assist!!

Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I am going to try alternating with walking outside. Had to wait for our pollen count to go down it has been 11 out of 12..just awful. I do think that I was taking in way too many calories and a food diary is a great idea.

About 3 years ago, I had open heart surgery for an upper aortic aneurysm..a very serious issue that I never even knew I had. At that time, I was pushing 300 lbs and am only 5'3" tall and was scared to death that the doctor would tell me I was too fat to operate on. It was quite the opposite, he said although seriously overweight, I was in good shape...and..I think this is because I was so active prior to surgery, played softball for years, swim laps in our pool..just loved to eat! LOL. I had to not push myself for about 3 months after surgery and couldn't move do to some nerve damage in my left leg from being hooked on a machine for hours during surgery.

Nuff said about my health issues, I am sounding like the 64 year old woman I am..LMAO or is that LMDO (laughing my dentures out)..Thanks again I so appreciate the assist!!
Ohhh..swiming is another great excerise you can do...but you can't just lounge in the water..you actually have to swim. lol

My mom is 70 and is obese she's about 5'5 and pusing 300...she loves to eat too and has tried in vain to convince me she's healthy... i see the pills she takes everyday...she'd be dead if she didn't take 2 bp meds a day...she claims she swims...but I've seen her swim..she never leaves the shallow end and never gets above her shoulders wet.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:23 PM

765 posts, read 2,442,551 times
Quote:
The whole visit went like that. She was watching herself OVEReat, and thinking she was doing a great job of it by adding - not substituting - healthy foods to bad foods, and smothering them with things she shouldn't even be touching, let alone consuming in mass quantities.
This made me laugh! I was visiting my mother, who also lives out of state, and she was complaining about how she had gained weight, and how she couldn't understand it, because she has no appetite and wasn't eating very much. I pointed out to her that she has no appetite, because she was GRAZING all day long. It seemed everytime I looked at her she was popping something in her mouth.

The most important thing to remember is to be honest, and to quit lieing to yourself. When you start to measure your food, and eat the portion recommended, you'll find that you are probably eating double what your are suppose to. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss