Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 04:58 PM

387 posts, read 1,047,890 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you need to add some resistance training. If you don't want to do weights at the gym you can do some bodyweight exercises, yoga, pilates, or barre. All great for building muscle and increasing your metabolism. This is a great site:

Fitness Blender
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 03:44 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,274,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Ohhh..swiming is another great excerise you can do...but you can't just lounge in the water..you actually have to swim. lol

My mom is 70 and is obese she's about 5'5 and pusing 300...she loves to eat too and has tried in vain to convince me she's healthy... i see the pills she takes everyday...she'd be dead if she didn't take 2 bp meds a day...she claims she swims...but I've seen her swim..she never leaves the shallow end and never gets above her shoulders wet.
I have been exactly where your Mom is..."denial". I was truly active but as soon as I hit 304 lbs, to be exact, the cardiologist who of course is super thin, laid some reality on me. Since losing 80 lbs, I am off my fluid pills. HOOOORAY. I think everyone who is morbidly obese tries to find excuses for why they can't lose. I knew why I was morbidly obese and knew all those bottles that had medications in them were the end result of all that weight. Oh, I have also gone from 137mg of thyroid medication daily down to 112. Miraculous things happen when you lose weight.

Yup, I agree, you have to do laps and fortunately for me, I LOVE the water and do laps with and without a kickboard. The kickboard is my friend. LOL.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
Sounds like you need to add some resistance training. If you don't want to do weights at the gym you can do some bodyweight exercises, yoga, pilates, or barre. All great for building muscle and increasing your metabolism. This is a great site:

Fitness Blender
Thanks for sharing that site addess. My husband is dieting and exercising too. He does the blended exercise routine. I am kind of limited but will look at it as well. So much fun to have fitness buddies on here

Old 04-15-2012, 04:38 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,113,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I have been exactly where your Mom is..."denial". I was truly active but as soon as I hit 304 lbs, to be exact, the cardiologist who of course is super thin, laid some reality on me. Since losing 80 lbs, I am off my fluid pills. HOOOORAY. I think everyone who is morbidly obese tries to find excuses for why they can't lose. I knew why I was morbidly obese and knew all those bottles that had medications in them were the end result of all that weight. Oh, I have also gone from 137mg of thyroid medication daily down to 112. Miraculous things happen when you lose weight.

Yup, I agree, you have to do laps and fortunately for me, I LOVE the water and do laps with and without a kickboard. The kickboard is my friend. LOL.

Booya!!! That is awesome!!

Yeah, mother's dr just upped her thyroid meds....again....she claims that's why she's not losing weight...ok, mom...it has nothing to do with the all the junk food you eat

I have a co worker who is 465 lbs...he has more excuses than Carter has liver pills. No joke. He's a stroke and heart attack waiting to happen..his dr has told him he'll be dead in less than 5 yrs if he doesn't do something.....he just keeps shoveling the food in....oh, well.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Booya!!! That is awesome!!

Yeah, mother's dr just upped her thyroid meds....again....she claims that's why she's not losing weight...ok, mom...it has nothing to do with the all the junk food you eat

I have a co worker who is 465 lbs...he has more excuses than Carter has liver pills. No joke. He's a stroke and heart attack waiting to happen..his dr has told him he'll be dead in less than 5 yrs if he doesn't do something.....he just keeps shoveling the food in....oh, well.
Tell your Mom that all those ads by Jennifer Hudson for Weight Watchers are no joke..it works. I started my weight loss journey with Weight Watchers, joined the website after I had lost my first 80 lbs and keep track of things that way. The plan is awesome and there is plenty of junk food type things, recipes included that will satisfy her need for snacking with no problems included. Your co worker would benefit from it too.

I went right back on the program stricter than ever this past week and have lost 4.5 of the 10 lbs I had gained when I began to stray. I took a long serious look at my habits and what I had eaten during all the holidays and it was time to refresh and get it right again. I am proud of me and plan to finish this process.

Suggestion for your Mom and for your friend..if you can find some Weight Watchers snacks to have them try, or literature on the program to conveniently leave around them then do just that. You could save two lives, for real. For me it was a question of wanting to please my doctor, not wanting to have back and knee pain, wanting to get my meds taken away or at least lowered. So far, I have had one med lowered and one taken away..no longer need water pills, thank God.

By the way..my doctor says that most times when you are put on Blood Pressure meds and you are older then you will more than likely always have to have them. I take two a day and my BP is 120/70 no sign that I will not have to take the pills for the rest of my life. Oh well. Small sacrifice to be able to live the rest of my life comfortably.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,113,114 times
Quote:
Tell your Mom that all those ads by Jennifer Hudson for Weight Watchers are no joke..it works. I started my weight loss journey with Weight Watchers, joined the website after I had lost my first 80 lbs and keep track of things that way. The plan is awesome and there is plenty of junk food type things, recipes included that will satisfy her need for snacking with no problems included. Your co worker would benefit from it too.

I went right back on the program stricter than ever this past week and have lost 4.5 of the 10 lbs I had gained when I began to stray. I took a long serious look at my habits and what I had eaten during all the holidays and it was time to refresh and get it right again. I am proud of me and plan to finish this process.

Suggestion for your Mom and for your friend..if you can find some Weight Watchers snacks to have them try, or literature on the program to conveniently leave around them then do just that. You could save two lives, for real. For me it was a question of wanting to please my doctor, not wanting to have back and knee pain, wanting to get my meds taken away or at least lowered. So far, I have had one med lowered and one taken away..no longer need water pills, thank God.

By the way..my doctor says that most times when you are put on Blood Pressure meds and you are older then you will more than likely always have to have them. I take two a day and my BP is 120/70 no sign that I will not have to take the pills for the rest of my life. Oh well. Small sacrifice to be able to live the rest of my life comfortably.

Pammy, the sad thing is, my mother knows all about WW ( as does my co worker) they just dont apply the lessons.

He loves the lemon ww cakes...he eats 3 at a time. I've read the label on those suckers.....not the healthiest things to eat...he's better eating fruit. He can't ( she can't either) seem to control the portion sizes. It's never one 100 calorie pack of cookies..it's 10!!! ::::sigh:::::

they have to make up their minds to live better...we can't do it for them, but they get t heir knickers in a knot when we congratulate someone ( like yourself!!) for taking that step towards being healthy. I know it makes them feel bad aabout themselves and then they eat more because they feel bad, but they are the only ones who can control that cycle.

Never say never about those bp meds...you just keep doing what your'e doing and let the numbers speak for th emselves!!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,852,465 times
Quote:

Awesome job. Do you use flippers when you swim? If not get yourself a pair of Zoomers. They are great, and they work your muscles in your legs as well as propelling you across the pool faster. I use them for training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss