Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:55 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times

Advertisements

I have been walking on the treadmill for 5 wks. now and watching what I am eating and have gained 10 lbs!! I don't want to stop walking but what the HEY is going on?? I had been up to 304 lbs, joined WW and lost 80 lbs. Now here it is creeping up on me again. What am I doing wrong? I am so ANGRY. I am burning an average of 1,000 calories a week!! HELP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I have been walking on the treadmill for 5 wks. now and watching what I am eating and have gained 10 lbs!! I don't want to stop walking but what the HEY is going on?? I had been up to 304 lbs, joined WW and lost 80 lbs. Now here it is creeping up on me again. What am I doing wrong? I am so ANGRY. I am burning an average of 1,000 calories a week!! HELP.
I think this might be a "talk to your doctor" moment. How old are you? Hormones are hell.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:57 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Are you still on the WW diet along with the exercise? And, I agree, that age can make a difference. In my 40's for the first time, the weight started to go on and I was eating nothing different than before and walking more. I felt so hopeless. Thankfully past menopause, it stays off as long as I watch sugar/fat and walk. I didn't understand when you said you were burning an average of 1,000 calories per week since we intake maybe 2,000 plus per day normally?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
How many days per week are you exercising? If it is more than two times a week, a thousand calories is not a lot at all.

You're taking in more calories than you are burning so you either have to up the intensity and burn more calories, or take in less calories.

Quote:

Old 04-13-2012, 06:31 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
My mom used to tell me she was watching what she eats, when I'd ask her if she's taking better care of herself.

Then I went to see her (we live in different states) and saw that she'd ballooned up another 15 pounds. I spent a couple of days with her, and noticed that she was definitely watching what she eats. She was watching herself load the starches on her plate, and the cream sauce on her salmon, and the creme brulee (just a taste)...and the cheesecake (just a taste) and the really healthy brocolli (with heavy-cream cheese sauce)...

And that was just supper the first day. Drinking water with her breakfast didn't quite negate the 2 plate-sized pancakes with butter and corn syrup sauce (she won't pay for real maple syrup) and 4 strips of bacon (not quite crispy to plenty of drippy fat), plus the english muffin with butter, and oh - "just one" egg, scrambled, with butter.

The whole visit went like that. She was watching herself OVEReat, and thinking she was doing a great job of it by adding - not substituting - healthy foods to bad foods, and smothering them with things she shouldn't even be touching, let alone consuming in mass quantities.

She's lactose intolerant - so instead of cutting down on the cheese, butter, cream - she just takes a pill, and loads up on extra.

Somehow she's gotten it into her head that this is going to help her lose weight.

So..my advice to the OP:

Stop watching what you eat.
Start paying attention to what you eat, and adjust what you eat, to more healthy foods, and ELIMINATING foods that you know are triggers for overeating, AND eating everything in smaller portions - even the good stuff.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:

I replied in the other thread too...

Define "watching what I eat". Like what exactly are you doing? Weighing stuff? Guessing portions?

As I said in the other thread bloating with exercise is completely normal.

How are you tracking your calories burned?
Have you changed your way of eating since losing almost 100lbs?
I ask that because when you lose weight you need to adjust your calorie levels every 10-20lbs depending on what you calorie cut is. From your old weight to your new weight you need about 600 calories less in your thinner body to maintain the current state.

Also know that after losing weight like that its natural for the body to hit the pause button for a couple months. Anything over 3 months, talk to your doctor. Keep a food journal at that time to share with them.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:13 AM

275 posts, read 773,498 times
My husband and I lost 125lbs between the two us since September of 2011 and we still have someway to go but at this point I feel I am pretty confident I know what I am doing and why certain things work or not work. First off, I am assuming you are in maintenance mode and not trying to lose anymore. Are you still counting your points? or calories? Please go to the website called nutrimirror.com and enter your information. It will give you how much you should be eating for weight maintenance and how much for weight loss. You may be eating more than you think if you are not entering what you eat. After a lifelong battle with my weight, I realized losing it is easy. It is the maintenance that is the problem and only way for people to maintain their loss is by continuing as if they are still dieting. About the exercise, if you are eating within your calorie limit, than you might be starving your body and that may be the reason why you are gaining. In nutrimirror, even if you are in weight loss mode, the site requires you to eat your exercise calories. I know, it sounds weird but trust me it actually works. For example, in order to lose a pound in one week, the site gives you 1300 calories per day (based on your personal situation this will differ). If you also exercise and burn extra 300 calories that day, the site will add those calories to your daily intake. You now need to eat 1600 calories that day. Please try this, this site thought me how to eat and exercise properly and for once in my life I feel I have conquered the weight issue.
One other suggestion I can give is, recently both my husband and I hit a plateauwith our weight loss. We are not into any of these weird diets. We lost our weight the healthy way - balanced diet and exercise. However, to break the plateau, we ate our regular diet for 5 days, than for two days we had a protein diet with carbs limited to 50gr per day. It did wonders and we are both losing again. I would never do Atkins diet or other protein heavy diets but this is only for two days a week and results are incredible. I hope some of this will help.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
My husband and I lost 125lbs between the two us since September of 2011 and we still have someway to go but at this point I feel I am pretty confident I know what I am doing and why certain things work or not work. First off, I am assuming you are in maintenance mode and not trying to lose anymore. Are you still counting your points? or calories? Please go to the website called nutrimirror.com and enter your information. It will give you how much you should be eating for weight maintenance and how much for weight loss. You may be eating more than you think if you are not entering what you eat. After a lifelong battle with my weight, I realized losing it is easy. It is the maintenance that is the problem and only way for people to maintain their loss is by continuing as if they are still dieting. About the exercise, if you are eating within your calorie limit, than you might be starving your body and that may be the reason why you are gaining. In nutrimirror, even if you are in weight loss mode, the site requires you to eat your exercise calories. I know, it sounds weird but trust me it actually works. For example, in order to lose a pound in one week, the site gives you 1300 calories per day (based on your personal situation this will differ). If you also exercise and burn extra 300 calories that day, the site will add those calories to your daily intake. You now need to eat 1600 calories that day. Please try this, this site thought me how to eat and exercise properly and for once in my life I feel I have conquered the weight issue.
One other suggestion I can give is, recently both my husband and I hit a plateauwith our weight loss. We are not into any of these weird diets. We lost our weight the healthy way - balanced diet and exercise. However, to break the plateau, we ate our regular diet for 5 days, than for two days we had a protein diet with carbs limited to 50gr per day. It did wonders and we are both losing again. I would never do Atkins diet or other protein heavy diets but this is only for two days a week and results are incredible. I hope some of this will help.
You have to watch with that eating back calories. If you are cutting over 1000 through exercise and diet then you can eat them back. But I would not suggesting eating them all back. Try to stick close to your BMR and not your daily eat back total.

I agree on the low carb thrown in days. Its easier to do than cutting everyday down to that level if you don't need to.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:20 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
As I stated on the other thread you posted this is happening because you are eating more calories than you are burning. If I were you I would start a food journal and write down everything that you are eating for the next week or two. Also are you challenging yourself on the treadmill? If you can raise the elevation and speed incrementally so you are always challenging yourself you will burn a lot more calories than just putting out the same effort every time. If you can do some resistance moves - strength training that will also boost your calorie burning.
It can be very frustrating as we age because our metabolisms do slow down. That does not mean we cannot lose or maintain a healthy weight, it just means we have to put in more effort.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM

Also want to note that its a normal variation of weight to stay within a 10 lb range. You weight is constantly changing within that range due to hydration, sodium intake, and swelling from exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss