Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times

Advertisements

"and on top of that, as im am older, my friends are fatter too, I dont care about how girls look at me, and I built up some confidence that I never had that i dont care about how people view me. thanks"

I am sorry but this is cracking me up. You are 26. And when does a heterosexual male not care how girls look at them, especially at 26. Dude, you need to serious wake up call. You are young and able to rid yourself of the extra weight and get in great shape. Quityerbitchin and get moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am sorry but this is cracking me up. You are 26. And when does a heterosexual male not care how girls look at them, especially at 26. Dude, you need to serious wake up call. You are young and able to rid yourself of the extra weight and get in great shape. Quityerbitchin and get moving.

I dont care simply because I have had a pretty bad relationship, I just want time off for years. and on top of that Most people I know that are dating, they are having huge problems, and of course I know quite a few people that divorced. Im in no hurry to be married. and oh yea, I can just get some whenever I want anyways.

I guess i'm just at the point where I want to be fit, but I lack the motivation to do so. It felt great to loose all that weight, but it was worse getting all of it back.

for the people who lost a lot of weight and got fat again, how did you manage to get back to staying fit? I just feel that if I did the loose weight again, I might just creep back up and just yo-yo back and forth.

and also, I'm planning to join a gym, in the past when I did, I just hated treadmills and bikes, it feels like im running to nowhere. This time, Im planning to lift weights for upper body and lower body, and for cardio I swim. I like swimming and lifting, and basketball, but I sprained both my ankles 6 times total, and it hurts to run and jump, so I retire from that, simply because I went to physical therapy, did some time there, and they told me If I ever sprain my ankle again, I will need surgery.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
You sound like you need a motivator to get you going. If you like to swim why not sign up for a triathlon? They are all over and there are many different distances, and they are a blast.
I absolutely hate running at the gym on the treadmill, I max out after a mile because I get bored and I do not like the way it feels. Outdoors is a different story. I am going to start training for a 1/2 marathon, I am almost there.
I still think you can run, you just need to strengthen your legs and core and then get some good running shoes from a dedicated running store so they can fit you and address your needs.
At your new gym hire a trainer for a few sessions and tell them your goals. They can map out a whole new routine for you.
It seems your mind is your biggest enemy right now. Stop thinking and start doing. Once you start getting into better shape the motivation will show up big time. And forget the past. Just move forward.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You sound like you need a motivator to get you going. If you like to swim why not sign up for a triathlon? They are all over and there are many different distances, and they are a blast.
I absolutely hate running at the gym on the treadmill, I max out after a mile because I get bored and I do not like the way it feels. Outdoors is a different story. I am going to start training for a 1/2 marathon, I am almost there.
I still think you can run, you just need to strengthen your legs and core and then get some good running shoes from a dedicated running store so they can fit you and address your needs.
At your new gym hire a trainer for a few sessions and tell them your goals. They can map out a whole new routine for you.
It seems your mind is your biggest enemy right now. Stop thinking and start doing. Once you start getting into better shape the motivation will show up big time. And forget the past. Just move forward.
I was thinking the same thing. Sign up for a mini-tri or something similar. Great advice, Lucky.

Civic, I did P90x and got into great shape a few years ago. In the middle of the second round, I broke my hand. After that I hurt my knee backpacking and required surgery. On top of that, I have a very bad back; so bad that there are days that I struggle mightily to but on socks and shoes. I ended up putting back on 20-25 lbs. I yo-yo'd up and down for a year or so when I finally realized that, you know what, I feel like s&*t and it was affecting my entire life. Those injuries were nothing but excuses.

I stopped making excuses. That was the most important thing. I still have significant back issues but I started P90x again and have lost the 25 lbs and then another 5. There are days that my back doesn't allow me to do the workout I wanted to do. I just do something else, but I do something. I focus on what I eat and I still my track my food daily. I don't beat myself up if I have a bad day of eating or have a few too many beers one night. I feel better than I have in many, many years.

We, folks on an internet forum, aren't going to be able to motivate you. That's all you. You need to stop making excuses and stop feeling sorry for yourself. Find a short term motivational tool but realize that you have a tendency to back-slide and that you'll need to change your lifestyle if you really want to get healthy.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 PM

326 posts, read 704,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
and also, I'm planning to join a gym, in the past when I did, I just hated treadmills and bikes, it feels like im running to nowhere. This time, Im planning to lift weights for upper body and lower body, and for cardio I swim. I like swimming and lifting, and basketball, but I sprained both my ankles 6 times total, and it hurts to run and jump, so I retire from that, simply because I went to physical therapy, did some time there, and they told me If I ever sprain my ankle again, I will need surgery.

I still feel you need to add more low intensity endurance building exercise to your regiment. In my opinion all that weight training will only make you lose weight as long as you keep doing it and does little for resting metabolism - the true key to maintaining weight loss.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
before anyone starts to flame me or call me fatty, heres my issue..

I don't think that generally people on this forum do this kind of thing. If you will read what people have taken the time to write , there are some very good ideas for you. And, they were graciously and kindly written.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 AM

865 posts, read 2,501,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
instead of P90x they have insanity now Those weight swings are pretty crazy in such a short amount of time. If you don't mind me asking what do you eat when you say you know what is right to eat?

My guess for what might be happening is your method of weight loss involved a lot of strength building(Not too familiar with P90x but it looks like aerobic style weight training with push-ups, squats,ect) which is great for burning calories while you are actively doing it - but when you quit you rapidly lose your metabolism and are susceptible to weight gain. To have a longer term weight management I think you need to focus on low intensity endurance building exercises...
Sorry, but this advice runs counter to current research. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) style training programs such as P90X, Insanity, Spin classes, etc, are a more effective approach for both burning calories and long term weight loss. First, they build muscle/lean body mass much more effectively than "low intensity endurance exercise". Second, they not only burn more calories while you do them (high intensity), but they keep your metabolism elevated for a longer period of time after you've finished exercising as your body seeks to replenish glycogen stores in the muscle tissue in preparation for the next demand placed upon it. The truth is the body recovers much more quickly from endurance exercise (ie - the metabolism returns to normal faster following the work out). The only advantage endurance exercise produces is that you can do it for longer periods of time, "get in a groove", and catch a "runner's high" style euphoria. This may make it habit forming and keep you at it. But technically speaking, endurance exercise is NOT a better or more permanent solution for losing weight.

To the OP, find another HIIT style program or look for a reputable crossfit gym in your neighborhood. Working out with a group is ALWAYS better than doing it alone in front of a TV.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 AM

17,363 posts, read 16,505,917 times
I can see how 185 might be a bit heavy for your height. But 135 is very low. Maybe unnaturally low for your body.

If you're working out and putting on muscle, I would think that 155/160 might be a better weight for you. Of course that can vary with bone structure...

Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 AM

326 posts, read 704,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Sorry, but this advice runs counter to current research. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) style training programs such as P90X, Insanity, Spin classes, etc, are a more effective approach for both burning calories and long term weight loss. First, they build muscle/lean body mass much more effectively than "low intensity endurance exercise". Second, they not only burn more calories while you do them (high intensity), but they keep your metabolism elevated for a longer period of time after you've finished exercising as your body seeks to replenish glycogen stores in the muscle tissue in preparation for the next demand placed upon it. The truth is the body recovers much more quickly from endurance exercise (ie - the metabolism returns to normal faster following the work out). The only advantage endurance exercise produces is that you can do it for longer periods of time, "get in a groove", and catch a "runner's high" style euphoria. This may make it habit forming and keep you at it. But technically speaking, endurance exercise is NOT a better or more permanent solution for losing weight.
Is this "current research" from the side of the P90x video cover?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:25 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I can see how 185 might be a bit heavy for your height. But 135 is very low. Maybe unnaturally low for your body.

If you're working out and putting on muscle, I would think that 155/160 might be a better weight for you. Of course that can vary with bone structure...

well at 135 its in the normal range of my height, and my bodyfat during that time was 5.5%. I still had a bit of stomach fat at 135, as I had a 4 pack and the lower part of my abs were not showing, still has a bit of fat left to go. I did the lean verson of p90x, so I did not get that ripped like in the infomercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss