Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:32 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,312,927 times

Advertisements

If you're on steroids, all bets are off.And they really play havoc with blood sugar levels.
However, an elimination diet may benefit you in finding out if it's a specific food group that's causing the bloating/gas.
Start with the 'usuals'. No wheat for a week or two.No dairy, etc.
If the problem goes away, add back and see if it happens again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,998,314 times
Can you post a typical juice recipe? As someone has mentioned, you might be going too heavy on the citrus/acid.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,867,173 times
Rifleman, you might want to throw some digestive enzymes in too and see if that helps. I have had problems in the past with avocados and they didn't show up right away--I had to eat them a few times before it laid me out in the bed all night one night. Tried them again a few weeks later b/c I didn't believe it could be avocados but that was sure enough the problem. That was years ago and I didn't eat them anymore but then about 4 years ago I tried them again and did just fine. Who knows? I'd start by eliminating the fruits or veggies from your mix that you didn't eat a lot of before and see what happens. It also could be the gluten believe it or not--I didn't eat any for 6 weeks and then added some back in and got all the symptoms you describe. I think maybe we just don't realize how bad we felt before. Or it was more "spread out" or something.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM

681 posts, read 2,366,964 times
I've had the exact same effect after a few months of eating Activia. The whole reaction was so gradual that I couldn't figure out what was causing terrible - lethal really - swamp gas. Even the cats sat on a different couch. It was going on for about a month and always started in the afternoon and lasted until I fell asleep. I finally discovered it was the Activia because I ran out at home and had to go back to milk for breakfast. Bad timing kept me from going to the grocery store later that afternoon but my gas disappeared that very first day, a light bulb went off in my head and on a hunch, I never bought it again. And my swamp gas hasn't come back.

FYI - I ate the lowfat version, not the regular. Also, I can eat other yogurt or greek yogurt without a problem. It's been about 4 months of daily consumption of other yogurts (I like Chobani the best, sometimes Stonyfield Farm) and I don't have that problem. So maybe cut back on probiotics+Activia combo?

Gotta love the internet for discussing stuff this TMI!!! lol Good luck!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:14 PM

22,699 posts, read 24,751,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I've been on the ReBootâ„¢ diet that Joe Cross had championed in his cross-country trip with his trusted Breville juicer tucked into the back of his SUV. (How did he power it up I wonder? It doesn't run on 12V?).

Anyhow, I lost weight like a house on fire (from 260+ lb down to 238 lb in 28 days, with no apparent distress or wild cravings, in fact, feeling quite good, just as Joe had personally predicted and experienced). My doc happily took me off 3 out of 4 of my previously necessary cardio meds since my BP had dropped to an average of ≈117/70 with a resting HR of only 65, down from a typical non-med number set of ≈ 156/95 - 85.! Wow, huh?

And as well, as a recently diagnosed (2 yrs ago @ 63 yrs of age), diabetic, I've been able to drop my 24h Lantose and fast-acting Nova-Log insulins in half, even with some spiking after an all citrus sweet morning juice. It all seemed to be going "swimmingly".

But then... da da da dahhhhhhh, I began to have really problematic gastro-intestinal distress. Nasty smelling and tasting belches, really methane-rich and oddly odorous, what shall we call them, intestinal outbursts from "the southern portal", and rumblings and groanings and intestinal pain. A lot of heartburn.

(I make enough gas during these episodes that I'm sure I could power up a small Prius!)

This is all coupled with wildly noisy rumblings and burblings. I sound like an old steam-powered rototiller! Stopped the diet for a while, it all retreated. Resumed the diet, and WHAMMO, back it always comes!

I can't deal with the now-predictable pain and suffering this brings on, and what appears to be my system's total inability to deal with and/or properly digest the volume of raw veggies and fruits that juicing provides. Even if/when I go off it for a while, it always now takes about 4 - 5 days for my system to come back.

BTW, I am taking gastro-intestinal pro-biotics, Activa and other yogurts, whole-wheat breads and Red River cereal (looks like bird seed but is delicious and fully cooked, which renders it all quite A-OK for my system, Always has!).

Oh, and one last thing: I'm badly arthritic, on steroids and pain meds, and oddly this diet has made my overall body inflammation level a lot worse! Who'd'a thunk, huh? A supposedly heart-and body-healthy diet that also really lights off one's auto-immune system? What's with that?

So... am I just doomed to not be able to juice like a fiend? Just when I thought I had it all nailed to lose about 60 - 80+ lbs, become non-diabetic and enjoy life again!

Painfully and gassingly your's truly...
For myself, a diet that is high in carbs, or one that has any wheat/grains/dairy makes my joints creaky and painful. If I avoid all of the things I listed and eat a good amount of Omega 3, well, my body feels fine and the arthritis is NOT a problem.

A Ketogenic diet is the best diet for most people with a Carbohydrate Metabolism Disorder......IMHO.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,829,167 times
I did something similar a few years back and my stomach has not been the same since. A hard lesson learned, but never will I use any of these things again!

Old 05-07-2012, 01:52 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,998,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I did something similar a few years back and my stomach has not been the same since. A hard lesson learned, but never will I use any of these things again!
Wow. Could you expand on that experience a bit more for those who are currently doing this diet or cnosidering it?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 AM

495 posts, read 686,956 times
I had the reverse affect when I did my juice fast.I burp and fart ALOT and juicing almsot got rid of all my farting and decreased the burping too.Kale can be hard for some people to stomach and a bunch of fruit can be hard on some people too.Oh try eating or jucing pinnapple core, its great for arthritis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss