Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 05:28 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,159,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
lol, at 5'3" / 5'7' you will never know how small airplane seats are!
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. I don't understand how my height has any bearing on seat size knowledge. Leg room yes, a** room no.

I have been an obese 5'7", and now I am a thin 5'7". So I've flown both and all sizes in between, a LOT. Even at my heaviest, I didn't find the seats themselves that small. They're not exactly roomy, not exactly boasting luxurious comfort, but I always managed to fit easily with no troubles.

Im not saying that all fat people can and should fit into the seats easily, I'm just saying that I personally don't find the seats to be unnaturally small. They're just......average?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 12:29 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
I had a personal experience with this on my flight over to Germany on Monday and I was not happy with how it was handled at all. When I was walking towards my seat, I saw this HUGE guy that had to be at least 500-600 pounds sitting next to this seriously hot (and small framed) girl. I initially just figured he was rich and she was blind or something, but I later on found she absolutely did not want to get stuck next to this rude fool.
The seat next to me was one of the few empty seats remaining on the plane and that was exactly why I picked that seat. I'm no fan of international flights, so any little extra bit of comfort is greatly appreciated, especially on those stupid little 767-400ERs they keep buying, which this one happened to be. Anyhow, about 20 minutes into the flight, a stewardess asked me if anyone was sitting next to me and I of course said no because I'm a very honest moron sometimes. She then went to that hot girl and told her there was an empty seat a couple rows back. I was wanting comfort, but a really nice looking girl sitting next to me also didn't sound too bad.. Anyhow, this mass of fat practically broke the back of the seat trying to squeeze out of it (his stomach literally touched the seat in front of him) and she managed to squeeze out. Then the fool plops back into the seat sideways and goes back to sleep; enjoying his nice comfy two seat. Meanwhile, the hot girl and me are paying the price for his disgustingness. I was very fat before, but not even close to the size this guy was. He was HUGE and it was all fat, no muscle, no redeeming other qualities at all.
I liked the fact that the stewardess was proactive in trying to make the girl more comfortable, but I honestly think the better option would've been to tell the guy he needed to either get off the plane or pay for two seats. He had to pour over into the aisle just to leave about half a seat for that girl. I also think this guy should've been responsible and just bought two tickets in the first place. People like that can't expect the rest of us to suffer just because they have some serious issues and boy did he have issues. I've never seen anyone on a plane that needed two extension belts. That alone should mandate at least a second ticket..

Old 05-16-2012, 07:12 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
I think the airline had an obligation to tell that man he had to buy two seats. Everyone who buys a ticket has the right to their entire seat and the space that is in it. This guy had to know he was too big to fit in a seat, but he did not care, or he was just waiting for someone to ask him to pay for two seats. He should not be offended he should be proactive and the airline should have gotten involved.
This is not about being insensitive to large people, its about being able to buy a seat (to anything - concert, sporting event, plane, boat, whatever) and expecting to get your entire seat in comfort.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
The seats are SMALL. My husband's shoulder's extended out about two inches on each side (his shoulders weren't fat).

I think the airlines should charge by total weight.... passenger + luggage = X

Old 05-17-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The seats are SMALL. My husband's shoulder's extended out about two inches on each side (his shoulders weren't fat).

I think the airlines should charge by total weight.... passenger + luggage = X
I Totally agree, and especially with the luggage part. Not only does it make the criteria equal across the board, it would stop overpacking and thin out all these a**holes dragging what should be checked bags into the cabin and cramming them into the overheads, making it impossible for people with true carry-ons to find space anywhere but under the seat in front of them, and Impacting foot and leg space. I'm sorry but if you need wheels and an extendable handle to cart it around then it is NOT carry on, IMO.

Pack less=total weight is less=you pay less + bonus of more room for those who need the overhead storage lockers. Win-win!

Mikala, my husband isnt fat either, just very tall, also with very broad shoulders, and even in business class he fills out the top half of his seat easily. when we go overseas, if we haven't got enough points to upgrade to business, then we usually at least have enough to get an extra economy class ticket.

OT: I despise economy, for a multitude of reasons, but primarily for the lack of leg room. I don't know why they even bother with those PSA's about preventing DVT, since economy class by design pretty much quadruples the odds of developing DVT.........even in thin people with excellent health.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM

I've thought of that one as well and also completely agree. Pay by the pound for everything. That could also have the added benefit of showing some people exactly what they weigh. I remember the first time I found out I was above 300 pounds. Talk about a serious shock to the senses... worst part was I was almost half way to 400 by the time I found out.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Do you think the airline seats are (still) this big?

http://www.airlinetickets.org/wp-con...0/08/dress.jpg

Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 PM

now that's the good old days there, except for the props and accompanying super slow flight times..

Old 05-19-2012, 10:28 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. I don't understand how my height has any bearing on seat size knowledge. Leg room yes, a** room no.

I have been an obese 5'7", and now I am a thin 5'7". So I've flown both and all sizes in between, a LOT. Even at my heaviest, I didn't find the seats themselves that small. They're not exactly roomy, not exactly boasting luxurious comfort, but I always managed to fit easily with no troubles.

Im not saying that all fat people can and should fit into the seats easily, I'm just saying that I personally don't find the seats to be unnaturally small. They're just......average?
You may be obese but you are still smaller than an average built six foot guy.

I find the seats small, you don't. No problem.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
You may be obese but you are still smaller than an average built six foot guy.

I find the seats small, you don't. No problem.
I'm not obese.

No I personally don't find the seats small and never did (even when I was obese) but I do find the leg room ridiculously short on space. You got my sympathy, tall boy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss