Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 05:36 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,692,405 times

Advertisements

I find my weight comes off when I do 30 minutes of treadmill at a pace of 3.8 and an elevation of 5. I don't worry so much about my pulse rate.

The tips about hunger and getting adequate healthy, fats posted so far are right on. Salmon, avocados--excellent!

Also, I've found much of what I think is hunger is actually thirst...have you tried drinking 5-6 big glasses of water a day...? Drink a big glass before each meal, first thing on getting up, and before and after exercising. I'm amazed at how it seems to alleviate what I thought was hunger.

Try to cut out sugar--that's hard to do, as it's added to almost everything these..but baked goods liked doughnuts that combine bad fats and sugar are lethal for weight loss. And yes, soda is bad news, too. Try to satisfy your sweet tooth with sweet fruits like strawberries, apples, cantelope, or blueberries. Fruits combine fructose with fiber which is much better than straight sucrose.

And beer? Gosh, beer bloats me right up. There's a book out about that effect titled Wheat Belly. And guess what? Beer is liquid wheat. Darn it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 03:48 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,525,542 times
I've started a food log on WebMD, so I can see how many calories a day I'm eating and to keep on track for my desired weight loss. I was eating (and drinking) an estimated 3300 calories a day, now I'm striving to limit my intake to 2600 a day, which coupled with the the exercise, should get my weight down at a slow, but steady pace.

I'm doing my best to limit my sugar intake, the main thing is kicking my soda pop habit, and weaning myself off of beer and other assorted forms of alcohol (I'm like Homer when it comes to beer - mmmm...beeeer...lol. ) As of June 1, I'll go to zero alcohol intake for two months, and see how that works - I do realize that's where a lot of my "extra" calories have been coming from. Oh yeah, I'm upping my water intake as well, it really does seem to help with my hunger pangs, so that's a big plus right there.

As for my cardio, for now, I'll stick with doing 30 min a day at a decent pace, I should be able to maintain 155-160 without too much difficulty, and I'm already seeing results from doing the weight machines - it does seem I gain muscle just as easily as I gain fat, I just need to keep the muscle weight and lose the fat...lol.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:52 AM

221 posts, read 484,677 times
Don't forget to have one cheat day and go overboard in cutting everything either. I'll have a soda with a slice of pizza or treat myself. It's healthier than cutting everything and anything. But ya limiting will also cause your body to get used to healthier cravings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss