Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,881,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Unless she had one heck of an exercise routine going on (very doubtful), I'm not sure how she could have been burning that many calories.....
One interesting observation from the movie was that the slim subjects started to fidget more during their special diet and there was some theorizing going on as to how many calories that might have burned. Well darn it, I fidget more than anyone I know so maybe that's why I'm not fatter. I'd think that 30 sodas would make you very nervous so maybe she was blowing off nervous energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:19 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,753,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes but the baby didn't suck the fat out of me as I'd hoped. No seriously, it's a matter of not that many calories so how can you tell if you eat more anyway? As the movie said, it's interesting that people stay within a narrow range of weights for the most part and they're trying to figure out how we do that. The fact that we do is part of the reason why it's so darn hard to lose weight--it's like trying to start a freight train cold.
LOL
The BF diet. Salma H did that.

Count the calories? I know you have to eat more than your normal weight for breastfeeding I just wondered if you counted that or just ate food without counting but thought maybe you were eating more or less or the same.

I found it interesting on the asian guy. Because there have been studies where asians have been shown to have a thrift gene because of hardships down the genetic line. I could be wrong but I think they found that in irish genes too.

They only gave the study 4 weeks. That is the one problem I have because it can take up to at least 8 weeks to start to see metabolic changes. I would like to see this as a year long study too if it didn't kill people. Omg...all that food. Im not sure I ever ate 5000 calories in my life.
I would toss it up.

Nice share KS!

I also found it interesting to see the experiment on children. I can actually remember that myself. I was a skinny kid under 10. Ate dinner sitting half on the chair ready to run right back outside as soon as I was full. My brother on the other hand was sort of an opposite. He was also picky about food and gravitated towards sweets. My mother did not gain much with me during pregnancy. With him however she gained a lot and went from normal to class 1 obese for awhile till she got back to normal.
Us siblings both had puppy fat phases where we were not fat just that extra that kids get if they are going to be really tall(him) or really curvy(me). After we thinned out in our late teens by growing and being more active our adult weights changed again. I got fat once and then fixed it. He keeps having chub issues. I call it chub issues because he doesn't really get overweight. He just gets that same middle tire of puberty fat every once in awhile and then runs and lifts weights and its gone for a bit. He quits and it comes back. He repeats. LOL

I can also remember in school the bigger kids (not fat just corn fed size) would tend to do the same things as the kids in the video. I don't remember what their parents looked like.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 AM

17,714 posts, read 16,862,630 times
Quote:
One interesting observation from the movie was that the slim subjects started to fidget more during their special diet and there was some theorizing going on as to how many calories that might have burned. Well darn it, I fidget more than anyone I know so maybe that's why I'm not fatter. I'd think that 30 sodas would make you very nervous so maybe she was blowing off nervous energy.
Actually, she complained about being tired all the time. It's hard to tell from a t.v. show, but she didn't strike me as a high energy girl. More like a fall asleep at your desk type of girl..

I fidget/move around a lot, too - even in my sleep - and it hasn't prevented me from gaining weight.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:50 AM

I notice a lot of fidget folks are slim though. Still won't magically cancel out overeating and I don't think it does much for people with blood sugar problems. My diabetic (type2) father has the best weightloss/maintenance/sugar# results with real work. (yard, walks, home improvement tasks)

Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I notice a lot of fidget folks are slim though. Still won't magically cancel out overeating and I don't think it does much for people with blood sugar problems. My diabetic (type2) father has the best weightloss/maintenance/sugar# results with real work. (yard, walks, home improvement tasks)
I think for most people it does take a certain amount of work and attention to diet to get to/maintain a healthy weight and good labs.

But there do seem to be people who can consume an enormous amount of calories without gaining weight. I don't know anyone who consumes 4000 calories of soda and twinkies every day, but I thought it was interesting that the woman in the show that I watched did that but stayed thin. (She's overeating/drinking on her calories, why isn't she fat?) If she changed her diet and started eating 4000 calories worth of pizza, instead, would she still stay thin. I wonder..

Last edited by springfieldva; 05-30-2012 at 08:15 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 AM

And I wonder what the results would be like if you took people like us, people who need to watch their weight, and stuffed them for a month like they did the kids in the movie. I'm betting that a lot more weight would be gained and that they'd have trouble finding volunteers and that they'd have a lot more trouble losing the weight once the experiment was over.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:47 PM

Well I can tell you this. I had to wean back my calories. Over the years my metabolism has sped up as I maintained my weight. I put on a little bit of muscle and I actually have to make sure I eat enough these days or my weight drops.

I think its just because I am eating more and getting a higher nutritional load on higher calories. It started to happen before I even bothered with muscle. I have had check ups and am totally healthy so its not a health issue. My old 18 year old metab is just back. Maybe I had that virus. LOL

The body is funny. I don't even think I could keep down 5000 calories. Isn't that what they said they had to eat a day?

Old 05-30-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
And I wonder what the results would be like if you took people like us, people who need to watch their weight, and stuffed them for a month like they did the kids in the movie. I'm betting that a lot more weight would be gained and that they'd have trouble finding volunteers and that they'd have a lot more trouble losing the weight once the experiment was over.
Volunteer for that? I wouldn't do that for a million bucks. I'm not kidding...

Last edited by springfieldva; 05-30-2012 at 03:36 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Well I can tell you this. I had to wean back my calories. Over the years my metabolism has sped up as I maintained my weight. I put on a little bit of muscle and I actually have to make sure I eat enough these days or my weight drops.

I think its just because I am eating more and getting a higher nutritional load on higher calories. It started to happen before I even bothered with muscle. I have had check ups and am totally healthy so its not a health issue. My old 18 year old metab is just back. Maybe I had that virus. LOL

The body is funny. I don't even think I could keep down 5000 calories. Isn't that what they said they had to eat a day?
Once you drop below a certain body fat percentage, metabolism does seem to regulate and your body stops hanging onto/storing the fat.

If you look at the calorie calculators, you'll see that you actually need more calories to maintain your weight when you are overweight than you do when you are mildly obese. Strange but true.

Last edited by springfieldva; 05-30-2012 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Volunteer for that? I wouldn't do that for a million bucks. I'm not kidding...
Me either. And yet, if dieting slows down your metabolism and makes you more likely to gain weight in the future, what does stuffing your gullet for a month do?

As an interesting sidenote, and this is not something I am proud of, I have a high tolerance for eating rich foods and can indulge quite happily w/o getting sick--moreso than anyone else I know. Not sure what that says about me except maybe that it's a miracle that I'm not fatter. And that it's quite possible that I could have thrived on this 5000 cal/day diet w/o upchucking the whole thing, but lord I'd hate to think how much weight I would pack on. Most fat people do not eat the amount of food that they were packing into those thin people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss