Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:02 PM
dgz dgz started this thread

806 posts, read 3,392,291 times

Advertisements

Yes, I avoid any kind of pans other than stainless steel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 07:41 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,941 times
I have been thinking about the OP and the predicament it seems to present to someone on a diet.

Then it finally dawned on me that it was a healthy cookbook, not a low calorie one. Much of the latest diet advice has switched from counting calories to other strategies which encourage long term changes to the way you eat, like portion control and choosing healthier foods.

Turns out, for example, that someone who buys low fat and sugar-free foods at the supermarket thinking they are going to lose weight will often end up putting more weight on! Agribusiness is quite good at making up attractive labels, but they are not acting in your best interests.

Anyway, if I were calorie conscious, I would certainly try using one or two tablespoons of olive oil instead of 4-5, and that would cut the calories in at least half. We need fat in our diet for healthy functioning, and olive oil is one of the good guys. Pam may seem like a good alternative, but it has lots of chemicals, and my cookware (Calphalon) advises against it as it has artificial "sticky" addatives that make it more difficult to clean and harms the surface over the long term. I don't even want to think what it does to my insides.

I am not sure where your diet with calorie counting came from, but you might seek out one that is a little more up to date. One thing I would suggest is that you visit your local library and find the latest books that have the new strategies and information. i often recommend Dr. Walter Willett's Eat Drink and be Healthy since it gives a good overview of the dietary considerations, and compares the conflicting claims of the diet gurus with the actual facts. He is a neutral expert, a Harvard School of Nutrition writer and professor.

Part of my strategy has been to eat healthy while slowly losing weight, and exercising with regularity which enhances the process. I am still far from my goal weight-wise (and in all honesty may never get there) but with my daily 20-40 minute walk, and a healthier selection of foods, I feel successful already!

Almost everyone who goes on a diet seems to gain back the weight after a year or two. However, those who change the way they eat, the portion sizes, and switch to healthier foods, do lose weight, though more gradually and it tends to stay off!

Old 09-24-2007, 07:45 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Pam may seem like a good alternative, but it has lots of chemicals, and my cookware (Calphalon) advises against it as it has artificial "sticky" addatives that make it more difficult to clean and harms the surface over the long term. I don't even want to think what it does to my insides.

I'm just curious...do you have a link to back that info?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I'm just curious...do you have a link to back that info?
It was stated on the little folder 'Tips for use" that came with the Calphalon Commercial nonstick cookware I bought. I did find this warning on their website:

Calphalon - I like to use spray oils for lowfat cooking. Can I use them in my Calphalon cookware? (http://www.calphalon.com/calphalon/consumer/faqs/faqDetail.jhtml?faqId=50011&pageTitle=I+like+to+us e+spray+oils+for+lowfat+cooking.+Can+I+use+them+in +my+Calphalon+cookware%3F - broken link).

I have just looked at my spray oil and its ingredient label includes: "corn oil, extra virgin olive oil, soy lecithin, natural butter flavor, garlic oil, beta carotene (color), propellant." Many of these are highly processed, and likely use chemicals to do the extracting and manipulating into industrial additive form.

(edited to add link and ingredients)

Last edited by litlux; 09-24-2007 at 08:06 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
It was stated on the little folder 'Tips for use" that came with the Calphalon Commercial nonstick cookware I bought. I don't know if it is on their website, but I am sure if you are in a store and can locate this instruction guide in the box you will find it.

I do tend to document what I say when I can, and am sorry you will have to take my word that I am not making it up. I am a very serious consumer and health advocate not prone to wild statements. However, it may have said "cooking sprays" rather than Pam specifically.

Perhaps reading my other posts in this forum will help you decide if I am credible or not, and I certainly understand your questioning that statement. It is a bit surprising, isn't it. But that is what it said.

My question was not posed to you in regards to your integrity or your credibility. And I honestly do not need to read your other posts.
But since you brought it up.
*BTW, I am also very passionate about health related concerns*

I found it odd that I found nothing credible on the dangers that you mention of using Pam and related products.
So yes, I am very surprised that you mention it.

As far as Calphalon, which I have several pieces of the product line all it states is the following:
Quote:
If you prefer using aerosol sprays, we recommend that you spray the food, not the pan. These sprays cause residue build-up that is difficult to remove from cookware.
They mention nothing about the concerns or chemicals that you have.
To state that it causes residue build up I would hardly read as "lots of chemicals" or alarmed as to what it's doing to your "insides".

**Since I really couldn't find anything negative or dangerous about using cooking sprays---I think I'll continue using my cooking spray.**

Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
My question was not posed to you in regards to your integrity or your credibility. And I honestly do not need to read your other posts.
But since you brought it up.
*BTW, I am also very passionate about health related concerns*

I found it odd that I found nothing credible on the dangers that you mention of using Pam and related products.
So yes, I am very surprised that you mention it.

As far as Calphalon, which I have several pieces of the product line all it states is the following:

They mention nothing about the concerns or chemicals that you have.
To state that it causes residue build up I would hardly read as "lots of chemicals" or alarmed as to what it's doing to your "insides".

**Since I really couldn't find anything negative or dangerous about using cooking sprays---I think I'll continue using my cooking spray.**
I did edit my post above and added a link to Calphalon that states a different warning than yours, but as far as the chemical hazards, and what it might be doing to my insides, I agree that is my personal opinion.

Thank you for asking for a clarification. I should have written it more clearly.

As for the overprocessing of the otherwise natural ingredients in cooking sprays and other packaged convenience items, I refer you to some of the latest books like The Omnivore's Dilemma and those by Marion Nestle. The road from farm to your range can be long and complicated.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I did edit my post above and added a link to Calphalon that states a different warning than yours, but as far as the chemical hazards, and what it might be doing to my insides, I agree that is my personal opinion.

Thank you for asking for a clarification. I should have written it more clearly.

As for the overprocessing of the otherwise natural ingredients in cooking sprays and other packaged convenience items, I refer you to some of the latest books like The Omnivore's Dilemma and those by Marion Nestle. The road from farm to your range can be long and complicated.

Since I am always searching for alternatives to explore I appreciate the book reference and will look into it.
It had very good comments on Amazon.
Thank you.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:05 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,698 times
At a kitchen's specialty store about 20-yrs ago, I found an ingenious little sprayer that's filled with oil & it sprays out like an aerosol. It was $15 at the time. I'm sure high end shops still carry them. You fill it with whatever you choose, as it's refillable.

I've always read that olive oil is the safest for cooking, as it's the only oil that doesn't release carcinogens at high temps. If anyone has different info, I'd love to hear it, as it's always good to know. I initially found olive oil too strong a flavor, but I quickly got used to it & have used it exclusively since then.

I would venture to guess that all oils are calorie-laden, by the mere fact that they're oil. Think of the quantity which needs to be pressed to gather 1-Tlbs of any oil.

I was wondering if you could substitute a bit of broth rather than oil for stir frying? I do this & also, cooking tastes much better if I carmelize onions or garlic in a bit of oil first (adding broth if more moisture is needed) & heavily seasoning/spicing foods. I'm a big oregano/basil/thyme/sage/marjoram/freshly ground black pepper user. If fresh, so much the better as you're getting valuable nutrients.

Good luck... VV

Old 09-25-2007, 08:09 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I love coconut, but I think that coconut oil is 90% saturated fat, which unfortunately puts it on the 'bad oils' list.
actually no saturated fat is the same.
Please kindly note that it really is the best oil to cook with it and to eat raw. Coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides which are so effective with weight loss. It also contains lauric acid (which also found in mother's milk) which is anti-fungus, anti-parasytic. It's extremely beneficial against thyroid problems. Also, because it's saturated fat, it's very stable. It goes forever unrefrigerated without going rancid. It's much better for cooking then olive oil, because olive oil rancifies under very hot temperature.
I can go on and on about benefits of VIRGIN coconut oil. If you want to know more, please go to Coconutoil.com - Research on Coconut Oil's Benefits
One thing I know is I know my oils.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:12 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I don't think the oil burns away either.

I use raw coconut oil for salads and in my smoothies. I don't think it would be good to take a healthy oil and cook with it, but I am not sure. Raw it is one of the healthiest oils. I am not sure if it is better than olive or not.

The one thing I learned about oils years ago was that one or two T. a day will keep you from eating more food later on. It fills you up so you won't get hungry sooner. I have noticed this even when eating eggs. A fried egg keeps me full, whereas a hard boiled egg doesn't last as long. So if you use oil you consume less calories a day. But you have to take into consideration all of the oil you are getting in a day.

Coconutoil.com - Coconut Oil and Cholesterol (http://www.coconutoil.com/cholesterol_coconut_oil.htm - broken link)
It is the best oil to cook with, don't worry.But I do agree, it's best raw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss