Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 08:57 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,132 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever try the above prescription drug and if so, how did it work for you? I'm interested in feedback and thoughts before I see my own personal Dr.

I know of someone who is taking it and has lost over 40 pounds, but she seems a bit obsessed with it, I don't want to use it that way - 6-12 weeks only, and with a heavy fitness/diet plan that is already in progress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phentermine is used for a limited period of time to speed weight loss in overweight people who are exercising and eating a low-calorie diet. Phentermine is in a class of medications called anorectics. It works by decreasing appetite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:25 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Well...of the people I know that used it more often than not they had negative issues and were annoyed they even tried it in the first place.

I think you should go to a nutritionist and try that route first before even bothering with pills. You have to learn on your own how to deal with feelings of hunger. Feeling what true hunger is vs. munchies. Taking drugs can mess with that perception. A big one that people complained about was after being of the med they felt like they had a very strong hunger signal. It was worse in their mind than the start. The truth of it was that this drug allowed them to get away with an unbalanced diet and exercise program while learning nothing about natural control.

From my experience the natural hunger will rise whenever you drop a few or if you are under eating calories or your nutrition is not that great.

Have you ever tried any appetite supressions meds before? When I started I was a sucker for them all and the only one I would recommend just because its mild and didn't make me feel sick of have that rebound hunger was hoodia infused power pops.

I haven't had them in awhile. Hunger is worse when you are losing but when you go to maintain it starts to fade away totally until meal times when you are eating right.

I just would not to pharmaceutical extremes until you try everything the simple healthy way first.
Whenever I ate more "pure" food (unprocessed, organic, non GMO) it made a difference in my hunger.
You may find help in following the "volumetrics" rule of eating. Basically all that means is eating a lot of veggies. Lots of bulk for low calories.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:58 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Pills are not the answer.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,940,165 times
My husband tried using phentermine for awhile, but he was just biding his time to qualify for a gastric bypass, so I don't know how serious he was. It did seem to curb his appetite somewhat, and he eased off the soda intake a bit.

If you feel you must try phentermine, go ahead. I hope you could use it as a tool to jump-start yourself into a healthy lifestyle of healthy diet and exercise. But then what happens when you stop taking it? As far as weight/diet/exercise etc. are concerned, at least for myself, I am guessing that, as far as my own health and weight loss are concerned, I would have to say that exercise has been about 25-30% of my own loss and health, and my diet/way of eating has been the rest. So getting that part under control is absolutely crucial to your success long term!

If you are somewhat reluctant to go the prescription route but still want to get your appetite under control, here are my personal tips for that:

1. Drink a glass of water at the very first sign of hunger. Many times (for me anyhow, because I exercise a lot), the thirst and hunger signals get confused.

2. Get rid of those sugars and easily digested carbohydrates. They do not fill you up and leave you hungry and empty, a recipe for overeating. I don't touch anything carbohydrate that isn't LOADED with fiber - i.e. veggies, fruits, or sprouted grains if I do eat grains, which is very very sparingly. Your body needs the healthy fats and proteins to feel satisfied. A book I liked was "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" by Gary Taubes. I know some people don't care for his science, but it does explain why the "calories in, calories out" theory just does not work (and why I failed Weight Watchers in spite of doing it PERFECTLY for an entire year....)

3. Do not drink your calories. Fruit juices are empty calories and loaded with sugar - eat fruit instead. Watch the sodas, fancy coffee drinks, etc. Cut down on the sweet stuff a little bit at a time.

4. Consider a fiber supplement prior to meals and snacks. If you drink a tall glass of water and take fiber 10-15 minutes prior to your meals, the fiber will get to your stomach first and help you feel full. If you begin eating nice and slowly, hopefully you will take in much less this way. Just be sure to start this slowly, you don't want side effects.

5. Get enough sleep! At night, don't sit around watching TV, playing on the computer, etc. It's a recipe for mindless snacking. If you are sleeping, you can't be eating

6. Slow down your eating and focus. No more eating standing up in the kitchen while watching TV. No eating behind the wheel of the car. Only eat when you are truly hungry. Put a little bit on a small plate and leave the rest on the stove or in the fridge. You can go back and refill that small plate as much as you'd like, but don't set a huge portion right in front of you.

7. Consider using a website or phone app to track what you are eating. Sometimes just the hassle of doing so will stop you from eating. You can also see a nutritionist and have them go over what you are doing and provide feedback if you need the accountability of another person.

Good luck! I hope you can take the first steps toward being healthier no matter what you decide to do

Old 06-19-2012, 09:26 AM

4 posts, read 12,585 times
The key to any diet is your ability to stay on it. Phentermine can curb your appetite and is a useful tool when used with doctor supervision AND a sensible eating plan.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:35 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmed View Post
The key to any diet is your ability to stay on it. Phentermine can curb your appetite and is a useful tool when used with doctor supervision AND a sensible eating plan.

Until you go off the pills and your appetite returns full force.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:24 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Wouldn't it be easier to just use an ephedrine/caffeine stack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss