Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times

Advertisements

I recently lost A LOT of weight, a combination of being too broke to eat and eating better at the same time.
My boyfriend and I BOTH have been losing weight, since we didn't have much money, we bought food from the grocery store and cooked at home and it was enough to make multiple healthy home cooked meals.

Not even a year ago I was nearly 150 and a size 8/10, now I am about 127 and a 2/4, which is awesome I love it, I look a million times skinnier and I feel better.

Sucky part is I always feel hungry. I have a crazy fast metabolism now, it's like I burn through my food so quickly. I now wake up in the mornings super hungry. I am hungry quicker and we still are slightly broke, we have more money now but not much more and I feel like I am eating everything we do have.

What can I eat that will fill me up without fattening me back up? I still want to lose a little more weight, I would like to get down to 115-120 and maybe another size down and tone everything up, so whatever I eat I don't want to GAIN weight.

But what would be good for someone with a fast metabolism to keep them full longer and eat less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 03:14 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Start your mornings with oatmeal and some fruit or some eggs. Try and get some protein in at every meal and good fats. Fats will make you feel full and will carry you to your next meal. Olive oil, olives, avocados, nuts...shoot for mono-saturated fats. Complex carbs and real whole grains will help as well. If I have a PB&J on a good organic whole grain bread for lunch I will not be hungry until dinner. And those are very economical.
Its great that you are cooking and making lots of meals. Its the only way to really control what you are eating.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
You are losing weight because you're under eating....Your body doesn't care about how tone you'd like to get, if you're getting too lean your body will start to go into "starvation mode" and you will feel rather hungry. That is the body doing its job....maybe you should listen?

Old 07-11-2012, 06:10 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Protein. As mentioned above, oatmeal (steel cut or rolled - not instant or quick) and eggs make inexpensive meals. Canned tuna and salmon are inexpensive. Veggies like winter squash and sweet potatoes are filling and nutritious.

Avoid sugar and white foods -- white potatoes, white rice, white bread. They're cheap, but they're also crap.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
FYI: quick oats are rolled oats that have been milled (cut) finer than traditional oatmeal. They contain exactly the same stuff. They're cut finer simply so that they will absorb the water faster - hence the "quick" designation. It's the same oats; you can make your own by putting regular dry oats into a plastic bag and rolling a rollingpin over it a few times.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 PM

Nothing wrong with a baked Idaho potato. Lots of nutrients. I have mine with a drizzle of olive oil and I eat the skin too.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Nothing wrong with a baked Idaho potato. Lots of nutrients. I have mine with a drizzle of olive oil and I eat the skin too.
The skin is where you'll find most of the nutrition, so if you're not going to eat the skin, then it's a bad choice when trying to lose weight. The bulk of the "meat" of the potato is starch.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The skin is where you'll find most of the nutrition, so if you're not going to eat the skin, then it's a bad choice when trying to lose weight. The bulk of the "meat" of the potato is starch.
I lost plenty of weight eating a baked potato once in awhile.

Nutrition of a baked potato from http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyou...t/f/potato.htm

Potatoes are one of the most popular vegetables because they are nutritious, easy to prepare, and very versatile. They're rich in complex carbohydrates that can supply energy, but not all that high in calories because they're low in fat and protein.
One medium-sized plain baked potato (about three inches in diameter) has about 150 calories. That same potato has about five grams of fiber, which is important for a healthy digestive tract. They're also a healthy source of vitamins and minerals. A small baked potato, about two inches in diameter has about 130 calories. A large baked potato has about three and one-half to four inches in diameter can have about 275 calories. Toppings such as butter, sour cream and cheese will add more (sometimes a lot more) calories.

Potatoes contain more potassium than any other fresh vegetable in the produce department - even more than bananas. One potato has almost 900 milligrams, which is about 20 percent of what you need every day. Potassium is important for body growth and cell maintenance. It's also necessary for nervous function and for normal muscle contraction - including the heart muscle. Potassium is also an electrolyte that helps to balance the fluids in your body, which is important for healthy blood pressure.

Potatoes also contain substantial amounts of vitamins C and B6, which are vital for blood clotting, wound healing, a strong immune system, normal nervous system function and for converting the food you eat to energy. There's also a substance called kukoamine found in potatoes that may help to lower blood pressure, although more research is necessary to know for sure.

Potatoes are nutritious and can be part of a healthy diet, but you still need to get adequate amounts of fats and proteins while staying within your personal calorie budget. Don't know how many calories you need each day? Use my calorie calculators to find out.

Last edited by Luckyd609; 07-12-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I lost plenty of weight eating a baked potato once in awhile.

Nutrition of a baked potato from How Many Calories in Baked Potatoes?

Potatoes are one of the most popular vegetables because they are nutritious, easy to prepare, and very versatile. They're rich in complex carbohydrates that can supply energy, but not all that high in calories because they're low in fat and protein.
One medium-sized plain baked potato (about three inches in diameter) has about 150 calories. That same potato has about five grams of fiber, which is important for a healthy digestive tract. They're also a healthy source of vitamins and minerals. A small baked potato, about two inches in diameter has about 130 calories. A large baked potato has about three and one-half to four inches in diameter can have about 275 calories. Toppings such as butter, sour cream and cheese will add more (sometimes a lot more) calories.

Potatoes contain more potassium than any other fresh vegetable in the produce department - even more than bananas. One potato has almost 900 milligrams, which is about 20 percent of what you need every day. Potassium is important for body growth and cell maintenance. It's also necessary for nervous function and for normal muscle contraction - including the heart muscle. Potassium is also an electrolyte that helps to balance the fluids in your body, which is important for healthy blood pressure.

Potatoes also contain substantial amounts of vitamins C and B6, which are vital for blood clotting, wound healing, a strong immune system, normal nervous system function and for converting the food you eat to energy. There's also a substance called kukoamine found in potatoes that may help to lower blood pressure, although more research is necessary to know for sure.

Potatoes are nutritious and can be part of a healthy diet, but you still need to get adequate amounts of fats and proteins while staying within your personal calorie budget. Don't know how many calories you need each day? Use my calorie calculators to find out.
Yes, all of this is valid as long as you're eating the whole potato, and not just the "meat" in the skin. All those numbers are reduced drastically - except the starch, potassium, and carbohydrate amount, when you don't eat the skin.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:45 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I recently lost A LOT of weight, a combination of being too broke to eat and eating better at the same time.
My boyfriend and I BOTH have been losing weight, since we didn't have much money, we bought food from the grocery store and cooked at home and it was enough to make multiple healthy home cooked meals.

Not even a year ago I was nearly 150 and a size 8/10, now I am about 127 and a 2/4, which is awesome I love it, I look a million times skinnier and I feel better.

Sucky part is I always feel hungry. I have a crazy fast metabolism now, it's like I burn through my food so quickly. I now wake up in the mornings super hungry. I am hungry quicker and we still are slightly broke, we have more money now but not much more and I feel like I am eating everything we do have.

What can I eat that will fill me up without fattening me back up? I still want to lose a little more weight, I would like to get down to 115-120 and maybe another size down and tone everything up, so whatever I eat I don't want to GAIN weight.

But what would be good for someone with a fast metabolism to keep them full longer and eat less?
You are suppose to be hungry when you wake up in the morning. That is normal. When you overeat it can tend to remove that normal morning hunger.

I would grab a bottle of vitamins just in case what you were eating was not nutritionally complete in this past phase of loss. Being low in nutrient intake can make for monster hunger. Cheap rite aid brand multivitamins are fine.

If you don't want to gain weight and are focused on loosing:
Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

You can track what you do or go with the menu they give you.
At the end of you day it will tally up your calories and nutritional rating.
It may suggest to eat more carbs or more protien or more calories etc.
Having that in balance aids to feeling full.

Cheap ways to eat healthy:
- go vegan or vegetarian at least half the week.
- meat is the most expensive protein source. Opt for eggs or nuts when you can.
- keep beef to 1x a week or less as its the most expensive
- frozen chicken, and fish does come in big bargain bags where you get more for your money
- frozen veggies are the cheapest and most nutritionally complete usually if you can't afford fresh
- rice and beans are great cheap fillers and a source of cheap protein

Drink mixes are also a good way to make for a cheap meal/snack:
Top 10 vegetarian and vegan proteins « The Body Blog

There are some veggie ones that have a price breakdown per serving.

There is also this cooking show that makes meals under 10$:
Ten Dollar Dinners : Melissa d'Arabian : Food Network

Plenty of articles out there too on this stuff.

You can plug in the info into spark diet site and it will help you figure out what the proper serving is for your size and goals.
Recipe Calculator

(you don't need an acct to use the calculator if you just wanted to try it out with stuff you already eat)

But basically there are no "tricks". Complete nutrition should help you. All these tips on eating protein and fat are true but you need to be eating the proper amount for your size and activity level. Spark will give you those numbers. Protein and fat are very high calorie per gram so its very easy to overdo it and gain if you are not being reasonable.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss