Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:10 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Nope, Non-Heme is poorly absorbed in most humans......eat the wrong thing along with it and it makes the absorption that much worse.
You're just repeating yourself. Non-heme iron isn't "poorly absorbed", and its the primary source of iron for humans. To say it again, even the iron in beef is 60% non-heme. The may issue with the adsorption of non-heme iron is that it can be reduced by certain nutrients (e.g., oxalates). Conversely, the adsorption can be improved by other nutrients (vitamin C).

As for adsorption rates, 2~20% of consumed non-heme iron is absorbed where as 15~30% of consumed heme iron is absorbed.

As for vegetarians, the food and nutrition board recommends 18mg for men. The body actually only needs around 1mg/day so the 18mg recommendation is very conservative. Vegetarians don't need that much more because, to say it again, most of the iron consumed by people is non-heme to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You're just repeating yourself. Non-heme iron isn't "poorly absorbed", and its the primary source of iron for humans. To say it again, even the iron in beef is 60% non-heme. The may issue with the adsorption of non-heme iron is that it can be reduced by certain nutrients (e.g., oxalates). Conversely, the adsorption can be improved by other nutrients (vitamin C).

As for adsorption rates, 2~20% of consumed non-heme iron is absorbed where as 15~30% of consumed heme iron is absorbed.

As for vegetarians, the food and nutrition board recommends 18mg for men. The body actually only needs around 1mg/day so the 18mg recommendation is very conservative. Vegetarians don't need that much more because, to say it again, most of the iron consumed by people is non-heme to begin with.

Really, try reading the links that I posted in my previous post. Iron Deficient Anemia IS a problem, one of the most common nutritional deficiencies in the world. Heme Iron is largely uneffected by many of the things that will block most if not all Non-Heme iron absorption.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Really, try reading the links that I posted in my previous post. Iron Deficient Anemia IS a problem, one of the most common nutritional deficiencies in the world.
Huh? I never said anything about anemia, I've been talking about iron absorption. The most common reason for an iron deficiency is a nutrient poor diet....a problem across the world.

Quote:
Heme Iron is largely uneffected by many of the things that will block most if not all Non-Heme iron absorption.
Yep and that is why it has higher absorption rates, but that doesn't mean that non-heme iron is poorly absorbed. Furthermore, the plants with high amounts of iron actually have more iron (per calorie) then beef so the lower absorption is offset by increased intake.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM

730 posts, read 2,253,783 times
I always feel better when limiting my carbs. Less sluggish.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Really, try reading the links that I posted in my previous post. Iron Deficient Anemia IS a problem, one of the most common nutritional deficiencies in the world. Heme Iron is largely uneffected by many of the things that will block most if not all Non-Heme iron absorption.
It is really common in women. Especially ones with heavy periods. Personally I have been diagnosed. I stopped supplementing once my levels were normal and focused in eating enough. I got 100-150% if the recommended value pretty much everyday for about 4 months. (i was tracking food intake) I eat a ton of vitamin c. I started cooking 50% of my foods in cast iron pans. During that time, my iron levels dropped by 30% so I was deficient again.

It is hard to absorb enough. I know from experience.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
I've been borderline (iron) anemic most of my life. I've never had any trouble bringing my iron up to a reasonable level by eating a peanutbutter sandwich.

Also, to Jade408: Instead of taking supplements until your levels go back to normal, then eliminating them entirely - why not take less supplementation (lower doses) and adding iron-rich foods, until they go back to normal, and then reducing the dosage of the supplementation enough that you can maintain the healthy levels?

In other words, why does it have to be either "x dose" or "no dose?" Why not "Y dose?"

Old 07-18-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Huh? I never said anything about anemia, I've been talking about iron absorption. The most common reason for an iron deficiency is a nutrient poor diet....a problem across the world.

Yep and that is why it has higher absorption rates, but that doesn't mean that non-heme iron is poorly absorbed. Furthermore, the plants with high amounts of iron actually have more iron (per calorie) then beef so the lower absorption is offset by increased intake.

UH..................UM...............iron deficient anemia...............SAY IT AGAIN IN YOUR HEAD!! You are repeating what I said....so what is your point. How do you think this problems occurs??? For the most part it is from not eating enough food that has BIOLOGICALLY AVAILABLE iron. Say Non-Heme Iron.......many things block the absorption and it is much inferior as comparted to Heme-iron which is not blocked by diet and the absorption rate is 35-50%.

So the most common form of anemia is IRON DEFICIENT ANEMIA, both in the USA and worldwide. Many people in the USA eat plenty of Non-Heme iron and iron deficient anemia is still prevalent.......HUM, I wonder what that tells us???

Non-Heme iron is poorly absorbed and many things block the absorption:

Iron rich foods: A guide for the science-minded parent

For instance, many grains, legumes, and vegetables contain phytates--chemical compounds which bind to iron and then pass through the small intestine unabsorbed.
Eggs and spinach are sometimes touted as good sources of iron. But experiments and laboratory analyses suggest that the iron in these foods is poorly absorbed (Gordon and Chow 1984; Insel et al 2004; Ishikawa et al 2007).

Old 07-18-2012, 07:31 PM

[quote=jade408;25230529]It is really common in women. Especially ones with heavy periods. Personally I have been diagnosed. I stopped supplementing once my levels were normal and focused in eating enough. I got 100-150% if the recommended value pretty much everyday for about 4 months. (i was tracking food intake) I eat a ton of vitamin c. I started cooking 50% of my foods in cast iron pans. During that time, my iron levels dropped by 30% so I was deficient again.

It is hard to absorb enough. I know from experience.[/quot

I am in the same boat. I have low RBCs which are not directly related to low iron every time. But I know that when my RBCs go low I get weak and pale as a ghost among other things. My iron is at the very bottom of the normal scale when the RBCs are low. When I start eating things with a lot of heme-iron like beef liver and hearts.........wow, I really feel much better in about 5-7 days. I tried the iron supplements, they were mediocre at best. Hahaha, things like spinach, beans or nuts........would not even touch the problem.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I've been borderline (iron) anemic most of my life. I've never had any trouble bringing my iron up to a reasonable level by eating a peanutbutter sandwich.

Also, to Jade408: Instead of taking supplements until your levels go back to normal, then eliminating them entirely - why not take less supplementation (lower doses) and adding iron-rich foods, until they go back to normal, and then reducing the dosage of the supplementation enough that you can maintain the healthy levels?

In other words, why does it have to be either "x dose" or "no dose?" Why not "Y dose?"
I tried for four months. That's when my levels dropped again.

During my "no supplement period" I took iron 1-2 times a week and upped my iron consumption (more iron-rich foods, using a cast iron pan). I hoped that the semi-regular supplementation would be sufficient, but clearly it wasn't enough. My levels dropped significantly in the 4-6 month experiment without supplements.

Before that, I was on a 2-3 supplements per day regimen (for about a year and a half). That was just too many to continue for me. The higher dose supplement generally upset my stomach unless I take them with a big meal.

So right now I am back to super-supplementing (3x a day) to get back to normal, then I'll try reduce the supplements, hopefully I can find a happy medium, I hate taking the supplements. At the moment I am taking 2x a "mega dose" and 1x a smaller chewable dose every day. The chewable doesn't taste awful or hurt my stomach, so it is a big improvement.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
How do you think this problems occurs??? For the most part it is from not eating enough food that has BIOLOGICALLY AVAILABLE iron.
I said precisely how it usually occurs: a nutrient poor diet. Non-heme iron is biologically available, suggesting otherwise makes no sense. Non-heme iron has lower absorption rates than heme-iron....that's it. Nothing more. But, as I pointed out, plant sources of iron have more iron per calorie so the lower absorption is offset by increased intake..

Quote:
Many people in the USA eat plenty of Non-Heme iron and iron deficient anemia is still prevalent.......HUM, I wonder what that tells us???
And....you can say the same about heme iron. Many people in the USA eat plenty of heme-iron, indeed the USA is one of the top meat consuming nations, yet people get iron deficiencies. What does this tell us? It tells us that some Americans have nutrient poor diets and/or have medical conditions that result in iron deficiencies.

Quote:
Non-Heme iron is poorly absorbed and many things block the absorption..
Why are you trying to refute me with information I've mentioned numerous times? The absorption of non-heme iron is effected by other nutrients....this is completely true. But you're only focusing on one-side (the reduction by some nutrients) of the issue hence the conclusion you are trying to make is erroneous. There are nutrients that increase non-heme absorption and there are nutrients that reducednon-heme absorption.....taken together non-heme iron is reasonably absorbed by the human body. Its not "poorly absorbed" and is the primary source of iron for Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss