Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,593 times

Advertisements

I am interested in trying out the paleo diet but it is very intimidating to me. I don't even know what the hell I would eat. I am looking for easy recipes that do not include crazy ingredients.

Anyone here eating paleo and have any cookbook suggestions?

Also I would love to see what you paleo people eat in a day, if you can post an average days worth of food that would be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I am interested in trying out the paleo diet but it is very intimidating to me. I don't even know what the hell I would eat. I am looking for easy recipes that do not include crazy ingredients.

Anyone here eating paleo and have any cookbook suggestions?

Also I would love to see what you paleo people eat in a day, if you can post an average days worth of food that would be great.

Thanks!
There are as many versions of "the paleo" diet as there are people who are on the paleo diet.

Feel free to pick and choose whatever you want to eat, and call it Paleo. Chances are, such a diet exists, and is called paleo.

If, however, you want to follow a commercially-available diet that is called "the Paleo Diet" - bear in mind there are many, and in order to eat "correctly" according to the dogma of the particular diet, you need to follow THEIR recipes. And that means buying their book and watching their videos and attending their seminars.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There are as many versions of "the paleo" diet as there are people who are on the paleo diet.

Feel free to pick and choose whatever you want to eat, and call it Paleo. Chances are, such a diet exists, and is called paleo.

If, however, you want to follow a commercially-available diet that is called "the Paleo Diet" - bear in mind there are many, and in order to eat "correctly" according to the dogma of the particular diet, you need to follow THEIR recipes. And that means buying their book and watching their videos and attending their seminars.

Good point I do see that some advocate eating dairy and others do not. Interesting that there are seminars, don't think I'm into that .

Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
I didn'y buy any books or go to any seminars and there are literally hundreds of recipes available free on the internet.
If you want to replace baked goods you should at least have some almond flour or coconut flour and milk on hand.
For just a trial period that should be enough "crazy" ingredients.
You can decide for yourself how strict you want to be with it depending on what kinds of things you think should be avoided.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,991,833 times
I follow a paleo-type diet in the sense that I avoid grains, processed foods, and added sugar. I still eat dairy.

A typical day for me would look like:

Breakfasts: Omelet with mushrooms, onion, cheese, and ham/bacon; plain Greek yogurt with berries; lox with cream cheese and capers

Lunch: Unwich from Jimmy Johns; homemade soup; BAS (Big A** Salad) with homemade dressing; Sandwich on paleo bread (Paleo Bread)

Dinner: Beef stew; Steak with broccoli topped with cheese; Casserole of some sort; Brats with sauerkraut (no bun); Breadless Ruben (corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, homemade thousand island dressing) with cabbage

If you want to eliminate dairy it becomes a little tougher. I do often drink unsweetened coconut milk instead of dairy milk just because I think it tastes good and it's lower in calories (45 calories per cup).

There really are tons of paleo recipes out there; you can basically google any food you want with the word "paleo" in front of it and find recipes for it. As another poster said, almond flour and coconut flour are probably the most commonly used "weird" ingredients. I get them online from NutsOnline, now Nuts.com | Premium Bulk & Wholesale Nuts, Dried Fruits & Gift Baskets.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,486 times
Here is a very good website to hang around.
If you are interested in anything Paleo, you will get MUCH better info than you will on the citydata forums.
Mark's Daily Apple
Most of the people on that website follow a more lenient/easier to follow form of Paleo referred to as "Primal". But I have found it to be very effective. Check out both the forums and the blog for recipes. I also have Mark's cookbook which has some good stuff in it. The lamb burgers with pistachio pesto are amazing. And I've found that just searching google and putting the word "Paleo" or "Primal" in your search will turn up lots of recipes. For instance, "Paleo Spaghetti". You'll get lots of recipes using spaghetti squash.

It can be a lot easier than you think and a lot less restrictive than some would have you believe.
Good luck!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Go to Weight Watchers Online and sign up there, they have a special going right now and you can track everything online for daily food, beverage and activities. They also have real food without bizarre ingredients that you eat, the program is rated one of the best, it is easy to use the online tools which can be used on your cell phone as well as your computer or tablet, it is a good solid eating plan that teaches you what to eat for proper nutrition as well as snacks. No meetings to attend unless you want to and you can "cheat" on daily points if you want but you are only cheating yourself. The price is also very reasonable and every food you eat can be purchased at your local market.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I follow a paleo-type diet in the sense that I avoid grains, processed foods, and added sugar. I still eat dairy.

A typical day for me would look like:

Breakfasts: Omelet with mushrooms, onion, cheese, and ham/bacon; plain Greek yogurt with berries; lox with cream cheese and capers

Lunch: Unwich from Jimmy Johns; homemade soup; BAS (Big A** Salad) with homemade dressing; Sandwich on paleo bread (Paleo Bread)

Dinner: Beef stew; Steak with broccoli topped with cheese; Casserole of some sort; Brats with sauerkraut (no bun); Breadless Ruben (corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, homemade thousand island dressing) with cabbage

If you want to eliminate dairy it becomes a little tougher. I do often drink unsweetened coconut milk instead of dairy milk just because I think it tastes good and it's lower in calories (45 calories per cup).

There really are tons of paleo recipes out there; you can basically google any food you want with the word "paleo" in front of it and find recipes for it. As another poster said, almond flour and coconut flour are probably the most commonly used "weird" ingredients. I get them online from NutsOnline, now Nuts.com | Premium Bulk & Wholesale Nuts, Dried Fruits & Gift Baskets.
Thank you for the links and your average day of eating, those are very helpful!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Here is a very good website to hang around.
If you are interested in anything Paleo, you will get MUCH better info than you will on the citydata forums.
Mark's Daily Apple
Most of the people on that website follow a more lenient/easier to follow form of Paleo referred to as "Primal". But I have found it to be very effective. Check out both the forums and the blog for recipes. I also have Mark's cookbook which has some good stuff in it. The lamb burgers with pistachio pesto are amazing. And I've found that just searching google and putting the word "Paleo" or "Primal" in your search will turn up lots of recipes. For instance, "Paleo Spaghetti". You'll get lots of recipes using spaghetti squash.

It can be a lot easier than you think and a lot less restrictive than some would have you believe.
Good luck!
I will check out this site. I feel more hopeful already . Thanks!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 AM

194 posts, read 408,451 times
I am about 6 months in & love it. Down about 28 pounds but have put on alot of muscle eating this way. Belt is about 4 notches tighter than last spring.

Typical day for me

Breakfast - Eggs & bacon or Protein powder smoothie

Lunch - Some greens (Kale, Spinach, romaine lettuce) a can of sardines, salmon, turkey or chicken on top.

Dinner - Fish, Chicken, steak & veggies & salad.

Snacks - fruit (Usually berries) & Nuts

Alcohol - 3 glasses of wine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss