Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 AM

142 posts, read 507,042 times

Advertisements

I'm 48 and have my weight has yo-yo'd since I was 20. I have absolutely no problem losing weight once I set my mind to it. However, I ALWAYS gain it back. Sometimes over the course of a year or two, sometimes just months. I am at the point now where I don't even bother trying to lose it, because I know it will only be temporary. In looking around me, I can't point out a single person I know who has lost weight and kept it off for more than a short period of time. Can it be done????? HOW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 10:50 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,991,031 times
VSG Sleeve

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) - Also known as Sleeve Gastrectomy, Vertical Gastrectomy

VSG=Verical Sleeve Gastrectomy=Gastric Sleeve - YouTube

Old 07-20-2012, 10:56 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,300,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel06 View Post
I'm 48 and have my weight has yo-yo'd since I was 20. I have absolutely no problem losing weight once I set my mind to it. However, I ALWAYS gain it back. Sometimes over the course of a year or two, sometimes just months. I am at the point now where I don't even bother trying to lose it, because I know it will only be temporary. In looking around me, I can't point out a single person I know who has lost weight and kept it off for more than a short period of time. Can it be done????? HOW?

Yes, it can be done. But it won't be easy or comfortable.

How?

How did you lose the weight in the first place? Did you crash diet?

This is for life. You have to think that way going in. Does that mean that you can never eat pizza or ice cream again? No. I just don't eat both at once, or even both in the same week. Why do you overeat? Fix that first.

It takes daily diligence. DAILY. There is no other way around it.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:00 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,018,178 times
Focus on making changes that you can keep forever. Most of the time, people make lots of unsustainable changes, and drop all of the habits they had while losing weight. So the moment they go back to normal, the weight comes back.

Change one thing at a time. MAster it. And then build on that success. The only way to make it sustainable is to keep consistent, and keep up with your new, hopefully healthy, habits.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Yes, it can be done. But it won't be easy or comfortable.

How?

How did you lose the weight in the first place? Did you crash diet?

This is for life. You have to think that way going in. Does that mean that you can never eat pizza or ice cream again? No. I just don't eat both at once, or even both in the same week. Why do you overeat? Fix that first.

It takes daily diligence. DAILY. There is no other way around it.
Yes there is an easier way around it. See post 2.

It's easy.
It is comfortable.

But it isn't cheap, like $20K out of pocket unless you have good insurance (PPO) and you have a BMI over 40 or over 35 and at least on premorbidity factor such as diabetes or sleep apnea.

No diligence required. You simply don't have the forces of hunger to be diligent to fight against.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,861,004 times
Exercise. Make it a part of your life no excuses. You will lose the weight and keep it off if you continue to exercise. Sign up for a 5k or something to keep you motivated.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,300,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yes there is an easier way around it. See post 2.

It's easy.
It is comfortable.

But it isn't cheap, like $20K out of pocket unless you have good insurance (PPO) and you have a BMI over 40 or over 35 and at least on premorbidity factor such as diabetes or sleep apnea.

No diligence required. You simply don't have the forces of hunger to be diligent to fight against.

Well, I don't have 20K to throw away on something that I can do myself for free. And I don't "qualify" for it anyways, considering that I'm not obese or even overweight.

It's not about physical hunger. I am never physically hungry. But my problem wasn't that I ate when I was hungry; it was because I ate for every other reason except hunger. And no surgery or diet pill can fix it. It is a mental issue for me. And I do have to fight it everyday, and I do so willingly.

That may not be the OP's issue, but it was (is) mine.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:24 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,746,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel06 View Post
How do you lose the weight?

You have to have a plan in place for maintenance that is reasonable and healthy otherwise you will yo-yo. If you crash diet and damage your metab you will also yo-yo.
It can be done. Unless you are having health issues all you need to balance on the daily is your intake vs. your output.

I used:
SparkPeople: SparkDiet

Before I had that site I did the obvious clean up of not drinking soda or going with diet. Not buying everything in giant sizes etc.

Tried a bunch of different diets and found general nutrition to be the easiest to maintain because its so flexible. That is what spark is. The sites really has a lot to offer in learning how to eat right for life. Do go through all the steps and goals. Its fun and makes diet changes so much easier as its not all focused just on loss accomplishments.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Exercise. Make it a part of your life no excuses. You will lose the weight and keep it off if you continue to exercise. Sign up for a 5k or something to keep you motivated.
Oddly, this is practically irrelevant and here's why.

Thin people aren't thin because they exercise. Fat people aren't fat because they don't.

A person is overweight because he eats more than he should. If he had the will power to eat less he wouldn't be overweight. Say he needs 500 calories of willpower a day to lose a pound a week. Say he eats 2500 cal/day.

OK. Now, let's add exercise to a person's life. The thing is when you exercise you become hungrier. Lets say he burns 500 calories exercising but it also makes him 500 (I probably get 600 calories hungrier - it's easier to lose weight when I don't work out...) calories hungrier (if you disagree with this, quit reading the rest of the post). That means he still need 500 calories of will power to lose weight.

That's why that overweight person at the gym that you've seen there for the past three years hasn't lost one pound.

That's why the lady you see running didn't gain any weight when she quit running.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I'm not obese or even overweight.
Cool. You're set. You don't have a problem with weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss