Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,016,956 times

Advertisements

Well, my husband is finally ready to get serious about a weight-loss regime. He is 50 yrs old and currently weighs about 400 lbs. I know how to lose weight, diet and exercise, but I definitely do not consider myself a professional. Also, I would prefer not to be the "bad guy" telling him what to eat, how much to exercise, etc.

I was surfing the internet, trying to find a good professional medical weight loss clinic to help, but the only ones I found were pushing injections, which after reading this forum, seems unnecessary and frankly, a money grab. Others seems to be mainly a chiropractic clinic, but also offer weight loss services. I'm not sure how effective those would be either.

I am worried that if he tries a drastic weight loss program on his own, it could have consequences for his health. Is professional help in his situation necessary or am I overreacting? I'm also not sure if some kind of surgery would be the best solution for him.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 02:26 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,593,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Well, my husband is finally ready to get serious about a weight-loss regime. He is 50 yrs old and currently weighs about 400 lbs. I know how to lose weight, diet and exercise, but I definitely do not consider myself a professional. Also, I would prefer not to be the "bad guy" telling him what to eat, how much to exercise, etc.

I was surfing the internet, trying to find a good professional medical weight loss clinic to help, but the only ones I found were pushing injections, which after reading this forum, seems unnecessary and frankly, a money grab. Others seems to be mainly a chiropractic clinic, but also offer weight loss services. I'm not sure how effective those would be either.

I am worried that if he tries a drastic weight loss program on his own, it could have consequences for his health. Is professional help in his situation necessary or am I overreacting? I'm also not sure if some kind of surgery would be the best solution for him.

What about a dietician or something through your health insurance? I began with my GP and my Cardiologist.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,739 times
You can sign him up for Weight Watchers and make sure he goes to the meetings. That is a great program that teaches people how to eat. You can contact your local gym and see what kind of trainers they have there. It really varies from gym to gym, but some are not only trained and certified in exercise but they are also in nutrition as well.
it is wonderful that your husband is willing to make this wonderful change.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,855,594 times
Quote:
Is professional help in his situation necessary or am I overreacting? I'm also not sure if some kind of surgery would be the best solution for him.

If he weighs 400 pounds and (I assume) he has been trying to lose weight all his life, chances are, he isn't going to lose it by conventional means (which almost always means using willpower in one form or another) and keep it off. Let's be honest. Let's look at the statistics and the probabilities. Maybe a light bulb will go off in his head. Maybe out of the 500 diets available the next one he tries will be the silver bullet.

But you and I know it won't.

Tell him to consider the Verticle Sleeve or VSG.

Do you have a PPO insurance?

Is his BMI 40 or great OR does he have a BMI greater than 35 and at least one premorbidity such as sleep apnea or diabetes? If so, he would be covered up to 100% for this $20K procedure.

Watch this video. It will change his life.

Surgery: Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy - YouTube

Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If he weighs 400 pounds and (I assume) he has been trying to lose weight all his life, chances are, he isn't going to lose it by conventional means (which almost always means using willpower in one form or another) and keep it off. Let's be honest. Let's look at the statistics and the probabilities. Maybe a light bulb will go off in his head. Maybe out of the 500 diets available the next one he tries will be the silver bullet.

But you and I know it won't.

Tell him to consider the Verticle Sleeve or VSG.

Do you have a PPO insurance?

Is his BMI 40 or great OR does he have a BMI greater than 35 and at least one premorbidity such as sleep apnea or diabetes? If so, he would be covered up to 100% for this $20K procedure.

Watch this video. It will change his life.

Surgery: Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy - YouTube
Do you own stock in this company or in any way profit from this surgery? If so go away, if not, stop suggesting invasive procedures for something that can be dealt with without them.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,000,392 times
Maybe a dietician would help? I just read The Smarter Science of Slim and I'm working with a dietician to implement the book's principles. It seems to be working. For me, speaking the the dietician weekly helps keep me focused/accountable, which I need while I'm working to change old habits. I'm using a dietician from Enthrive (www.enthrive.com); I speak to her on the phone once a week. Maybe something like that would help your husband stay focused and accountable, regardless of what type of diet plan/lifestyle he wants to use.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:48 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,539,067 times
duke University has a great program or your local hospital usually have terrific programs check them out! They are not surgery related. Hospital run all the time weight loss and fitness programs.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:19 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,016,956 times
Thanks everyone. These are all great ideas. I checked on the surgery option and based on his BMI, it appears this would be covered by our insurance. However, I will let him make the decision whether or not that is the route he wants to take. I am simply gathering the information and letting him make his choices.

I'm just concerned that without surgery, the longer he carries this weight around, the more his health is threatened. From a philosophical standpoint, I'm against it. I am old-fashioned and feel the best things in life are what you EARN. But I don't want him to die because I was sticking to my principles. I hope that makes sense.

I discussed Weight Watchers with him, but he is pretty shy, not much of a group person.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,000,392 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. These are all great ideas. I checked on the surgery option and based on his BMI, it appears this would be covered by our insurance. However, I will let him make the decision whether or not that is the route he wants to take. I am simply gathering the information and letting him make his choices.

I'm just concerned that without surgery, the longer he carries this weight around, the more his health is threatened. From a philosophical standpoint, I'm against it. I am old-fashioned and feel the best things in life are what you EARN. But I don't want him to die because I was sticking to my principles. I hope that makes sense.

I discussed Weight Watchers with him, but he is pretty shy, not much of a group person.
I definitely do not think that surgery is the best route for most people, but that said, it is certainly not an EASY route either. In order to be approved for the surgery your husband will have to demonstrate his commitment by losing a certain amount of weight beforehand. Also, after the surgery he will be on an all-liquid diet for a period of time. To me, the more I read about surgery, the more diet and exercise sounds easier! So, just know he won't have an easy path no matter what he decides to do.

I'm not personally a very shy person, but I just didn't like the idea of WW meetings; I guess I don't want to be airing my issues with a big group, even if they have the same ones. I like the one-on-one stuff better and for me it helps because it's not like I can try to avoid being noticed when it's one on one. If I don't do what I am supposed to do my dietician will know it. There is no one else there to take the focus off of me and what I did or didn't do that week. But, I haven't done WW meetings, so maybe that same type of accountability/inability to hide is present there as well.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 PM

For the record no one really airs their stuff at WW meetings. It is mainly the leader talking about strategies to tackle the next week with. New ideas and such. People will offer what things they like or what they have done that has been successful. It is very upbeat and they also recognize loss milestones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss