Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 617 times

Advertisements

Actually you can save of money if you buy raw food and cook it yourself. I notice that all extra money goes out from our pockets for ready to eat foods. So cooking food yourself is a healthy choice to save that extra dollars that we pay for ready to eat. But must include some fruits in your daily healthy food routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 PM

19 posts, read 64,442 times
Sooo..but I completely disagree with the OP. I think eating junk is too expensive!! And definitely not as much bang for the buck!

For example, 1 average size bag of potato chips cost $4. I can sit down with a bag of chips and eat half the bag in one sitting no problem and feel hungry an hour later. That $4 bag of chips is good for 2-3 snacks. 1 bag of value pack sea salted almonds cost $6. I grab about 20 almonds at a time and I am satisfied for about 1.5-2 hours. That value pack allows about 16-20 snacks. WAY MORE BANG!!

Another example: Breakfast. Sugary cereals are a little less expensive than the healtheir ones, however kids can throw back two bowls of no substance sugary cereal no problem, one bowl of the healthier stuff will sustain them, therefore, doubling the sittings per box. Any other sugary breakfast cost way more than a healtheir option. Processed waffles/pancakes/toaster strudles/etc are more expensive than an egg or two and some toast, some oatmeal, or some grits. Missing the sweet? Add some fresh fruit into the oatmeal. Don't get me wrong...I love a belgian waffle loaded with butter and syrup. But..that is an every once and a while indulgence for me...cost wise and health wise, and egg and a slice of wheat bread toasted and slighly buttered is my daily breakfest.

And hello! Look how much you paid for your fast food meal! After tax it costs about $6-8 dollars! I can cook a meal for 4 on $6-8 dollars! It is not always as convenient..but it is healthier and leaves me fuller for longer.

Sorry for the rant...it is just a small pet peeve when people say that eating healthy is too expensive...but will throw money on sugary, zero substance items that only satisfy their hunger for short periods of time.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:54 PM

568 posts, read 961,908 times
Well you can spend your money on good food and stay healthy or eat junk food - get sick and give your money to the doctor. I take the first option...cheaper in the long run and you can still live a happy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss