Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,751,842 times

Advertisements

I'll Never Restrict my Food Intake... What I mean by this is I will eat anything that I like, at worst is junk food that is high calorie and can make you fat if you eat a lot of it. So I eat junk food, even while on a diet! I ate junk food like pecan pie during my 2003 to 2005 65 lb weight loss. I did not avoid carbs at all. Now early this year I read an Atkins book about halfway but I realized I could not stick to it's idea of carb restrictions for life! So I never got into ketosis. I enjoy a carb rich breakfast everyday, as I don't like taking time to cook breakfast so I grab a quick cookie, brownie, cake, or such and gulp it with low calorie soymilk or coffee.

And I've been doing this for years! When I quit weight control workouts in summer 2009, I gradually went from 145 lbs to 164 this July 2012. Quick 5 lb weight gain mistake early when I tried weightlifting to lose weight; somehow the weightlifting workouts gave me hunger pangs and I splurged on the wrong food [like potato Chips]. Then an 11 week vacation in the Philippines where I just enjoy good fast food and had to try as much stuff as I could while there - I restrained from too much overeating but I went from 158 lbs to 161. And then without workouts, just eating anything but controlling my portions, I stayed nearly the same weight up to 1.5 years later.

But lately a bad habit almost got me to 164 lbs, - Breyer's Ice cream mixed in with high calorie Heath Magic Shell! - So tempting to splurge on! I couldn't take being 164 lbs as then I would start to not fit into my best cheerleading outfit, plus now at 164 lbs I could not fit into my many size 4 skirt suits, I only fit oversize size 4's but I fit all my size 6's.

So now currently I am into workouts to lose weight. Was very inspiring to have a 34 mile ride result in a 2 lbs weight loss, but disappointed when my latest 25.7 mi ride resulted in nothing!

My strategy now is to eat a carb breakfast [for energy for my ride], and an Atkins lunch [like steak n eggs] so I would get into fat burning when I workout. Seems to work well. But after workouts I eat anything again.

I can't live life without enjoying all those great tasting carbs out there. Cookies, cakes, brownies, a big variety of candies, potato chips, Ice cream, pecan pies... It's all possible to eat this and maintain your weight.

I mostly gained my weight through eating mistakes, which were not corrected by an immediate weight loss workout. I did weight control workouts for 4 years to maintain my weight at 145 lbs, but then I got burned out on this. So since summer 2009 I tried to control my weight by simple food intake quantity.

But one thing I found that I could enjoy while maintaining my weight was splurging on a Buffet Breakfast or Lunch. I'd pig out at Golden Corral for Breakfast, then I'd skip lunch and weigh myself before dinner to see how much I can eat for dinner... And then no weight gain the next day.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:03 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,829,980 times
If you do not clean up your diet you will not be successful in weight loss. There is no way you could possibly exercise enough to work off all the sugar and crap you are ingesting.
If you want to be successful and healthy and get the most out of your workouts, exercise some will power and eat whole, fresh foods. Lean proteins, veggies, fruit, complex carbs..etc.. Skip the simple carbs, fast food, and sugary snacks. Your body will thank you by doing what you want it to do, losing the weight and performing.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:16 PM

I successfully lost weight from 2003 to 2005 by doing 5080 miles of road bike workouts. And during that time my favorite for Breakfast was Nemo's Carrot Cake and milk. I even got by eating a little pecan pie.

Right now, I find a carb breakfast ok, and an Atkins style lunch before the afternoon workout will work.

But weight rebound after a workout is a problem. Sometimes I gain the weight back and sometimes the weight is lost.

Food is a great pleasure in life and I will not give up junk food. I'm just making it a point that you can somewhat maintain your weight even though you eat junk food. But in losing weight maybe you have to temporarily lay off on some junk food.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:49 PM

But just imagine how much better you would feel if you cut back on the crap you are putting into your body. You would be amazed at how much better your body will perform. Food is fuel after all.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,311,544 times
It's possible to have everything in moderation. You don't have to cut carbs and sugar completely out of your life to lose weight. I've lost 48 lbs. since April, and eat pretty much what I want - as long as I stay within my daily calorie limit. I do eat a lot of protein, fruits, veggies and nuts (in small quantities). However, I also have toast in the morning, and a sandwich at lunch, with homemade sourdough bread. I also have ice cream at least once a week. The only thing I completely cut out is soda, though I did have some root beer last month.

This is the only way I can stay with it for the long haul. Depriving yourself of everything you love is a sure formula for failure.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
It's possible to have everything in moderation. You don't have to cut carbs and sugar completely out of your life to lose weight. I've lost 48 lbs. since April, and eat pretty much what I want - as long as I stay within my daily calorie limit. I do eat a lot of protein, fruits, veggies and nuts (in small quantities). However, I also have toast in the morning, and a sandwich at lunch, with homemade sourdough bread. I also have ice cream at least once a week. The only thing I completely cut out is soda, though I did have some root beer last month.

This is the only way I can stay with it for the long haul. Depriving yourself of everything you love is a sure formula for failure.
I agree 100%. I am not a believer in excluding any food group. And I myself eat a variety of foods, some better than others. But I do not make a habit of eating simple carbs, sugary desserts or fast foods. My diet consists of lean proteins, veggies, fruits, complex carbs, some dairy, wine and an occasional dessert. I do not like fast food so I do not eat it.
But I know for a fact that making a habit out of eating crap will make a person feel like crap. Making a point that someone wants to eat whatever whenever is simply not going to fly. Even a person with the best metabolism is going to want to concentrate on healthy foods for the simple reason of not wanting to poison oneself. If someone wants good skin, hair, overall health, to look good and healthy, then that person is not going to indulge in eating crap day after day.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:11 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,991,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'll Never Restrict my Food Intake... What I mean by this is I will eat anything that I like, at worst is junk food that is high calorie and can make you fat if you eat a lot of it. So I eat junk food, even while on a diet! I ate junk food like pecan pie during my 2003 to 2005 65 lb weight loss. I did not avoid carbs at all. Now early this year I read an Atkins book about halfway but I realized I could not stick to it's idea of carb restrictions for life! So I never got into ketosis. I enjoy a carb rich breakfast everyday, as I don't like taking time to cook breakfast so I grab a quick cookie, brownie, cake, or such and gulp it with low calorie soymilk or coffee.

And I've been doing this for years! When I quit weight control workouts in summer 2009, I gradually went from 145 lbs to 164 this July 2012. Quick 5 lb weight gain mistake early when I tried weightlifting to lose weight; somehow the weightlifting workouts gave me hunger pangs and I splurged on the wrong food [like potato Chips]. Then an 11 week vacation in the Philippines where I just enjoy good fast food and had to try as much stuff as I could while there - I restrained from too much overeating but I went from 158 lbs to 161. And then without workouts, just eating anything but controlling my portions, I stayed nearly the same weight up to 1.5 years later.

But lately a bad habit almost got me to 164 lbs, - Breyer's Ice cream mixed in with high calorie Heath Magic Shell! - So tempting to splurge on! I couldn't take being 164 lbs as then I would start to not fit into my best cheerleading outfit, plus now at 164 lbs I could not fit into my many size 4 skirt suits, I only fit oversize size 4's but I fit all my size 6's.

So now currently I am into workouts to lose weight. Was very inspiring to have a 34 mile ride result in a 2 lbs weight loss, but disappointed when my latest 25.7 mi ride resulted in nothing!

My strategy now is to eat a carb breakfast [for energy for my ride], and an Atkins lunch [like steak n eggs] so I would get into fat burning when I workout. Seems to work well. But after workouts I eat anything again.

I can't live life without enjoying all those great tasting carbs out there. Cookies, cakes, brownies, a big variety of candies, potato chips, Ice cream, pecan pies... It's all possible to eat this and maintain your weight.

I mostly gained my weight through eating mistakes, which were not corrected by an immediate weight loss workout. I did weight control workouts for 4 years to maintain my weight at 145 lbs, but then I got burned out on this. So since summer 2009 I tried to control my weight by simple food intake quantity.

But one thing I found that I could enjoy while maintaining my weight was splurging on a Buffet Breakfast or Lunch. I'd pig out at Golden Corral for Breakfast, then I'd skip lunch and weigh myself before dinner to see how much I can eat for dinner... And then no weight gain the next day.
Well, if you're happy with that, than hey, enjoy!
But don't kid yourself into thinking you're "successful". Just because you once lost weight back in '05 and now you've gained it back and then some? Um, not sure your plan is working.

It is never a good idea to exercise for the purpose of maintaining weight.
It is better to eat healthy, don't overeat, and keep your junk food intake at a minimum.
That's going to also keep you healthier. Eating garbage and then working out frantically will not work long term. The key, the "magic" solution is, quite simply, balance.
But hey, I've maintained the same weight since high school, what do I know?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:02 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,808,668 times
Since I'm not seeing any question, or request for discussion from the OP - I'll suggest maybe she'd enjoy writing a blog about her happy successes in stuffing her body with chemically overprocessed sugar and starch and junk food crap, and then stuffing her 160+ pound self into a size 4. She could even post pictures to show off how she looks and invite people to "like" the photos.

She could then refer back to this blog, in around 15 years when the doctor informs her that she'll need to have her leg amputated because the diabetes has created a massive infection that can no longer simply be treated. Of course, that's assuming she recovers from the stroke.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Since I'm not seeing any question, or request for discussion from the OP - I'll suggest maybe she'd enjoy writing a blog about her happy successes in stuffing her body with chemically overprocessed sugar and starch and junk food crap, and then stuffing her 160+ pound self into a size 4. She could even post pictures to show off how she looks and invite people to "like" the photos.

She could then refer back to this blog, in around 15 years when the doctor informs her that she'll need to have her leg amputated because the diabetes has created a massive infection that can no longer simply be treated. Of course, that's assuming she recovers from the stroke.
I was thinking the same thing, but you said it SO much better than I could!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 AM

What foods are "chemically overprocessed sugar and starch?"

At 160 lbs I'm mostly a size 8, but get down to 153 lbs and I'm a good size 6. 145 lbs I'm a size 4. Getting to 140 lbvs takes constant diet and workout maintenance to stay lean - it's not worth my time.

This time I'm experimenting with weightlifting on my off bike days. But it only take me 10 minutes off weightlifting and then I'm done. Good thing I don't have a gym membership, - it'd waste my money. My Weider weight bench with leg presses and a Lat bar + free weights is good enough for all of my weightlifting needs. I do high reps / low weight, so as to not bulk up my muscles.

I only had type 2 diabetic symptoms when I was 195+ lbs size 16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss