Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 AM

17,599 posts, read 39,331,620 times

Advertisements

I'm with Stepka and Dizzy on this. My eating pattern these days is to eat mid-morning - a lot of calories. This for me is a combined breakfast and lunch. I call it breakfast, but there is no official lunch. I then do strenuous exercise mid-day, have one or two small, light snacks, and then a farily light dinner/supper. I think people should eat when they are genuinely hungry; if you aren't that hungry, don't eat. And stop when you are satisfied. Talking about healthy food here, not goodies that people eat just for the taste.

People in Spain do eat very late, but they also get up later and take 2-hour breaks in the middle of their workday. And they are far more active than you average American, walking everywhere.

I think everyone is different as to how they feel and when they eat, and all in all doesn't matter when you do it as long as you do consume the proper amount of food/calories and do regular exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,372,913 times
I have a high fat snack late at night, it seems to lower my fasting bs, and I've lost 25lbs in a few months.

It's all very individual.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,850,717 times
It really comes down to the 5 things you mentioned in this post. Its a great post, by the way. Thanks for sharing. People get so confused by fad diets, weight loss books, pills, surgery options, etc. Its a cry for help. The answers are simple & one doesn't have to go to extreme measures to lose weight. Choose diet that you can do for life. And the best way to stick to a diet for life is to READ about bad foods & how they affect your body. You will automatically stop craving the sodas, chips, candies, bread. Someone would have to force feed you bad foods after you have read about toxic foods. Always choose a veggie/fruit salad as a "meal", not as a snack. Its a sure shot weight loss method. If you binge once in a while your body wont react so adversely. Reserve treats like cake or chocolates for special occassions like b'days/anniversaries only. Aim for 100% healthy veggie diet everyday & minimize animal products. When your body gets the right nourishment it will automatically get rid of the toxins.

I wish we had a lot more 'walking' options in our everyday life. But unfortunately the urban planning is such that the commercial places & residential areas are not connected by sidewalks in a lot of cities. People should be encouraged to make healthier choices. Grocery stores are loaded with bad foods in attractive packaging, cheap prices & high-end advertising thats very tempting for kids & people trying to loose weight. Added to that, we have to drive everywhere instead of walking. Its not even a choice for lot of us. No wonder there is an obesity epidemic here.

Look towards some asian countries for inspiration. Most of them are thin & healthy, not because of their genes, but their lifestyle. Some of them still have floor furniture & everytime they sit down to eat or relax, its a sit-up that increases flexibility of joints. Cars are not that common & people use public transportation or biking or walking to get around. They dont have to set aside a special time of day or pay for expensive gym memberships. Thats how they keep healthy. We are not encouraged to eat right or exercize. It ultimately becomes a burden to go out of the way for good food & exercize. Give us sidewalks & gyms would disappear so fast. Advertise healthy foods & see the health costs go down.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,861,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma410 View Post
It really comes down to the 5 things you mentioned in this post. It's a great post, by the way. Thanks for sharing. People get so confused by fad diets, weight loss books, pills, surgery options, etc. Its a cry for help. The answers are simple & one doesn't have to go to extreme measures to lose weight. Choose diet that you can do for life. And the best way to stick to a diet for life is to READ about bad foods & how they affect your body. You will automatically stop craving the sodas, chips, candies, bread. Someone would have to force feed you bad foods after you have read about toxic foods. Always choose a veggie/fruit salad as a "meal", not as a snack. Its a sure shot weight loss method. If you binge once in a while your body wont react so adversely. Reserve treats like cake or chocolates for special occassions like b'days/anniversaries only. Aim for 100% healthy veggie diet everyday & minimize animal products. When your body gets the right nourishment it will automatically get rid of the toxins.

I wish we had a lot more 'walking' options in our everyday life. But unfortunately the urban planning is such that the commercial places & residential areas are not connected by sidewalks in a lot of cities. People should be encouraged to make healthier choices. Grocery stores are loaded with bad foods in attractive packaging, cheap prices & high-end advertising thats very tempting for kids & people trying to loose weight. Added to that, we have to drive everywhere instead of walking. It's not even a choice for lot of us. No wonder there is an obesity epidemic here.

Look towards some asian countries for inspiration. Most of them are thin & healthy, not because of their genes, but their lifestyle. Some of them still have floor furniture & every time they sit down to eat or relax, its a sit-up that increases flexibility of joints. Cars are not that common & people use public transportation or biking or walking to get around. They dont have to set aside a special time of day or pay for expensive gym memberships. Thats how they keep healthy. We are not encouraged to eat right or exercize. It ultimately becomes a burden to go out of the way for good food & exercize. Give us sidewalks & gyms would disappear so fast. Advertise healthy foods & see the health costs go down.
It still comes down to the individual regardless of sidewalks and lack of healthy food advertisements. This is where we live and what we have to work with. Its time to stop with the excuses and start adapting.
Losing weight is extremely simple in theory and very hard to implement simply because people do not want to go out of their comfort zones. It is a mind change first then a dietary one.
Until a person is ready to lose weight, and by ready I mean willing to give up all excuses and embrace what it takes to lose weight and to commit to going the distance they will never get there. They can research it all they want but the bottom line is individual action. An unwavering commitment to diet and exercise is the only way to reach ones goal. Bitching about circumstances and making excuses is a pathway to failure.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,850,717 times
Quote:
Luckyd609
It still comes down to the individual regardless of sidewalks and lack of healthy food advertisements. This is where we live and what we have to work with. Its time to stop with the excuses and start adapting.
I totally agree with you. It all comes down to individuals to get out of their comfort zones & do something to change themselves. If i can do it, anyone can do it. Took years to get it right though. Had to debunk so many myths & tried everything to finally realize the simple truth. Not "bitching" or giving any excuses, just listing the extra hurdles this generation has to overcome. There is a lot of wrong information out there to mislead new dieters & take away their money.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,861,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma410 View Post
I totally agree with you. It all comes down to individuals to get out of their comfort zones & do something to change themselves. If i can do it, anyone can do it. Took years to get it right though. Had to debunk so many myths & tried everything to finally realize the simple truth. Not "bitching" or giving any excuses, just listing the extra hurdles this generation has to overcome. There is a lot of wrong information out there to mislead new dieters & take away their money.
I agree there is a lot of wrong information. But that information usually comes wrapped in an attractive package like..'lose weight quickly!', or 'Eat all you want and still lose weight!' People should know better, but their desire to shed pounds quickly overtakes their brain and they throw common sense and thermodynamics out the window.
Every time I see a post how someone wants advice on how to lose weight quickly I already know before reading the post that this person is going to fail. People seem to be unwilling to use their brains when it comes to weight loss. They do not want to hear about eating right and exercise. They want to hear, 'take this pill, eat all this fat, drink nothing but juice, etc.... and the pounds will melt off'. Until they embrace common sense we will forever be the fattest nation in the world.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:44 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,863,506 times
I would've mentioned "not sleeping 8+ hours every night" as a huge mistake. I've recently discovered for myself that the single best way to ensure that I stay motivated, feel great, and control my appetite is to get a good night's sleep each and every night.

Now, I haven't regularly slept more than 6 hours per night in years, and now I'm flabby. When I'm tired and/or drowsy all day I feel like crap, eat too much of the wrong foods, and I can't push myself during workouts nearly as much as I like to.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,018,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneShins View Post
I definitely agree with your list. Breakfast is indeed the most important meal of the day. You need your energy to keep you going through the entire day. If you don't eat your breakfast you might end up feeling grumpy or eat more by lunch time.
I don't believe has a weight impact for me. But I am a very very cranky woman if I don't have breakfast within about 2 hours of waking. Crankiness, nausea and headaches follow a skipped breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss