Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times

Advertisements

Certain supplements may work for some people but certainly it is not a one-size-fits-all for everyone. As I stated in my OP, I have found great benefit in supplementing my diet with a daily dose of calcium pyruvate for increased energy. And if I have more energy, then I have to think that translates to burning calories into energy instead of storing them as fat. At 76, my metabolism has slowed down considerably and calcium pyruvate gives it a distinct boost. Until I started supplementing with that, my healthy diet and workouts were not having the desired effect of boosting my energy as much as I wanted. Younger people may not have that problem but no one disputes that there is a slowing of metabolism the older one gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 07:11 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Interesting. Thanks for posting this info. I wonder if she took the tri-pepper GNC blend written about in this article.

Weight-loss supplement has potential to burn fair amount of calories

I agree with Kim in FL--if she does not alter her current eating habits of calories in to equal calories out, the weight will be regained. A really good exercise program followed consistently is an absolute necessity to maintaining a weight loss.
Hmmm. Interesting.

I could really use something to boost my energy right now; my allergies have been SO BAD for the past 6 weeks ~ I barely have the energy to work and come home. And I've been doing early morning 'boot camps' since last November but right now . . . just don't have it in me.

Maybe I'll try some green tea as well.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Hmmm. Interesting.

I could really use something to boost my energy right now; my allergies have been SO BAD for the past 6 weeks ~ I barely have the energy to work and come home. And I've been doing early morning 'boot camps' since last November but right now . . . just don't have it in me.

Maybe I'll try some green tea as well.
I recommended calcium pyruvate earlier in this thread as an energy booster. Maybe give that a try??? It seems to provide the "missing ingredient" in the energy cycle, for me at least. Takes about a week or so to notice any results.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 AM

145 posts, read 186,054 times
They are all amphetamine-like compounds and not for long-term weight loss. And they have side effects.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:43 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
The only one that worked was the old EC (ephedrine/caffeine) stack. Great appetite suppressant (though it lost effectiveness with continued use) with some metabolic boost as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
They are all amphetamine-like compounds and not for long-term weight loss. And they have side effects.
Yes, ephedrine will suppress your appetite and give you energy but it is not healthy. The reason one must go to the pharmacist to purchase it is b/c it is used to make speed. Cocaine will also work. Unless green tea is infused with coke or ephedrine, I don't understand how tea will help one lose weight. Healthy, balanced meals in moderation along with exercise are the best fat burners. There is no magic pill.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:40 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Yes, ephedrine will suppress your appetite and give you energy but it is not healthy.
There is nothing inherently unhealthy about ephedrine provided it is taken responsibly by people who do not have any conditions which would make it dangerous.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:46 AM

659 posts, read 1,759,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
They do not work. Save your money. Just eat whole healthy foods and exercise. If any foods give a benefit it is going to be minimal. Green tea has a lot of good things going for it. If you like spicy foods use cayenne. Eat a diet full of variety foods and try not to get hung up on the stuff that really does not matter.
This. Honestly - it's true. I've tried a few here and there over the years, and even if I got some temporary effect from them... it went away (and the weight just came right back) after I stopped using them.

I hate to say it (because it's not the easy answer), but your best bet is just to eat healthy - not just in terms of the quality of food you eat, but also the quantity. Portion size really does matter.

And listen to your body. It will tell you when you're giving it stuff that makes it feel bad (and therefore bloat/store excess fat).

Old 01-31-2021, 09:23 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,824 times
The fat loss pills have so much caffeine in them they make you nauseous, you then lose your appetite so you eat less and lose weight. Not the healthiest way to go about it. I find a bowl full of steamed vegetables is a better appetite suppressant.

The benefits of any legal supplement are extremely small compared to just regular exercise and a clean diet.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:26 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
You want to increase metabolism, just get your butt of the chair and start moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss