Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 06:29 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,320,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1. There's no such thing as "unbleached whole wheat white flour." Flour referred to as "white flour" is, by definition, bleached.
King Arthur Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour. Milled from hard white spring wheat, rather than traditional red wheat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,089,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Its funny the degree to which the low-carb thing has gotten people to demonize carbohydrates....even people that don't eat low-carb. Regardless, all complex carbohydrates are converted into sugar.....which your body can utilize for energy. That isn't unique to products made from refined flour.... The primary difference between a piece of white bread and a piece of whole wheat bread is the latter has fiber and more mirco-nutrients, but the additional fiber doesn't make a dramatic difference in the calorie density of the food so the idea that one promotes weight gain and one doesn't makes little sense. Unless you're suggest that wheat in general causes weight gain......not sure why that would be the case though.

White bread doesn't promote weight gain, its the fat that typically is added to it that causes problems....
This has nothing to do with low carbs....eating white bread has to do with eating empty carbs and empty calories that break down quickly into sugar as opposed to high fiber carbs which are absorbed much slower causing you to feel fuller longer as well as keeping your blood sugar at a more even level. Eating white bread has to do with filling your body with poor nutrition (well, the government makes the manufacturers fortify white bread because of the naturally low nutrition so there is that). If you want to lose weight, have energy and give your body food that actually keeps you healthy and satisfied - don't eat white bread on a regular basis.

If you want something healthy and filling eat beans with fresh vegetables (beans and sweet potatoes with salsa is a delicious lunch or dinner) or have a bowl of oatmeal with a few walnuts and some blueberries...that would be nutritious and filling - that's what complex carbs like beans do for the body - beans and other complex carbs cause you to be full with much less food and you stay full longer. White bread equals poor nutrition and empty calories.

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-29-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-29-2012, 07:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,294,953 times
I don't understand why some people are ragging on the OP for putting this much thought (which, if you read it, is pretty SOUND thought) into his eating lifestyle.

If more people did this, our obesity rate would be a LOT lower.

Cut him some slack - he has the intellect and enthusiasm to research and really think this out.

By the way, anyone who's using some program like Weight Watchers or myfitnesspal.com, or any other number of programs, may just be just letting someone else do the analytical thinking for them. I don't see how this is a morally superior position.

I say KUDOS to the OP for being thorough and taking full responsibility for his food choices, and his health. If it works for him, then that's more than we can say for most people - who yo yo diet their entire lives.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,867,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
King Arthur Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour. Milled from hard white spring wheat, rather than traditional red wheat.
That would be white wheat, not white flour. White flour is bleached, by definition. That is why it's called white flour.

White wheat is a variety of wheat, and just like unbleached red wheat flour isn't red, unbleached white flour isn't white. It's a sort of greyish off-white color. That's what I buy too.

It's helpful when people say what they mean, if they're wanting people to actually believe what they say. So if you mean white whole wheat flour, don't say whole wheat white flour. They're two different things.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,867,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't understand why some people are ragging on the OP for putting this much thought (which, if you read it, is pretty SOUND thought) into his eating lifestyle.

If more people did this, our obesity rate would be a LOT lower.

Cut him some slack - he has the intellect and enthusiasm to research and really think this out.

By the way, anyone who's using some program like Weight Watchers or myfitnesspal.com, or any other number of programs, may just be just letting someone else do the analytical thinking for them. I don't see how this is a morally superior position.

I say KUDOS to the OP for being thorough and taking full responsibility for his food choices, and his health. If it works for him, then that's more than we can say for most people - who yo yo diet their entire lives.
The reason people are being so critical is because:

1) He says he's writing a guide/book about his diet plan. It isn't even necessarily the diet _he_ consumes, it's the diet he is recommending to others.
2) He is asking for critique on the plan that he is putting together along with an exercise plan, to offer to others. He's not asking for our opinions on -his personal- choices.

If he didn't want feedback, he wouldn't have asked for it. And if all he wanted was yes-men and sycophants, he would've put up a blog instead of posting on an internet forum.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:23 PM

326 posts, read 706,006 times
Quote:
The reason people are being so critical is because:

1) He says he's writing a book about his diet.
2) He is asking for critique on it.

If he didn't want feedback, he wouldn't have asked for it. And if all he wanted was yes-men and sycophants, he would've put up a blog instead of posting on an internet forum.

Thank you Kathryn for your support and yes Anon and others for the criticism. Both have been very helpful as I move forward with the project.

I think the biggest issue is the sheer bulk of it. I will reiterate that the goal of what I have outlined is not only a diet for weight management but also one that reduces the chance of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and other morbidities, with an overall goal of extending functional capacity throughout aging. I will take the comments here and others that will soon follow and head back to the lab to refine my work in progress - thanks again!

Old 09-29-2012, 08:36 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,683,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
That is just way too much for me to try and read and sift through. Good luck on your endeavour and research.
That's what I thought too.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 PM

326 posts, read 706,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
That's what I thought too.

Yes I apologize for the formatting which I admit makes it laborious to read in a message forum post.

Here is a link:
OVERVIEW: Attaining a desired weight and maintaining is difficult

This is the version in its original formatting - about 4 pages of text and should be much easier to read.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,850,070 times
Quote:
Actually you're making it a lot more complicated than it needs to be, because you're including things in your post that make no sense at all, and are just - untrue. Perhaps you're just confused.

1. There's no such thing as "unbleached whole wheat white flour." Flour referred to as "white flour" is, by definition, bleached.
2. Soy milk isn't dairy.
3. "Junk in very minimal intake" - what constitutes "junk?" McDonald's? If you're eating a Big Mac once or twice a week, you're not eating it "very minimally." You're eating it habitually. If by "junk" you mean you sometimes break down and have a cheeseburger, on a home-made whole-wheat bun, made with cheese you made from your own cow's milk, and beef from a beef cow who was raised on the farm next door on 100% pesticide-free wheat-grass and roamed free over 200 acres of land untouched by human hands.. then that's not junk. If you mean a few slices of pizza made with enriched white flour, yeast, a pinch of salt, water, part-skim mozzarella, fresh ripe tomatoes, a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of fresh basil or dried oregano - that's not junk either. It's healthy hearty wholesome food and eating it once or twice a week should be fine, in modest portions (2-3 slices, depending on the size of the pie)
4. If by "dehydrated sugar cane" you mean "the same crystallized sugar that Aunt Bee had in her sugar bowl and most families have in a kitchen cabinet," then okay. But - that's what crystallized sugar IS. It's the scrapings off the inner part of a plant stalk, dehydrated into crystalline form. The plant stalk is the cane, which is why it's called cane sugar.
5. You claim to only eat complex carbohydrates - yet sugar of ALL kinds, and the carbs naturally found in dairy, are *simple* carbohydrates.
1. Your incorrect. I buy unbleached white wheat flour. King Arthurs. :-)

2. Greek Yogurt is dairy. Soy milk is the milk I choose to drink since I'm lactose. I still consider it dairy and I use it along with greek yogurt to supplement for my dairy intake(since I'm not much of a cheese eater.)

3. Minimal intake for me is on occasion. And nope I don't mean Mcdonalds. I haven't ate there in two years. I don't do fast food-and if I do it's once every blue moon or when I'm really in a pinch or craving it. Junk for me constitutes things that I deem aren't the best nutrition wise(which ranges). Not sure why you feel the need to analyze it any further. All your other examples sound nice and good, but are not what I consider junk and if made with whole foods are not off limits to me.

4. http://www.meijer.com/assets/product...0732_A_400.jpg :-)

5. I don't claim, I DO eat mostly complex carbohydrates, I eat minimal amounts of simple carbs but if your subtracting points because I have 1/2 a cup of soy milk, and/or 6 teaspoons of raw honey to sweeten things that I like-a day then okay. Again I eat mostly fruits, veggies, and wild rice, oats, etc.

So no I'm not confused, but you my dear are. I know what I am talking about, referring to my OWN diet. When I say "junk" I mean exactly that and I mean on occasion I don't need you to break it down for me or try to tell me how much I'm eating it, what I'm eating and what I'm calling "junk", etc--if I say it's junk to me, then it's my own definition of junk which does need to be explained to anyone. Nor do I need you giving me tips on healthy burgers or pizzas, I know how to make both and if I'm craving one or the other I'll make it.

Not sure why you felt the need to analyze my post, however the majority information I have gotten is from books and other health sites about eating clean. Therefore I don't need any further breakdown of information from you because contrary to what you believe about my posts, I believe it tis you my dear that is confused.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,850,070 times
Quote:
That would be white wheat, not white flour. White flour is bleached, by definition. That is why it's called white flour.

White wheat is a variety of wheat, and just like unbleached red wheat flour isn't red, unbleached white flour isn't white. It's a sort of greyish off-white color. That's what I buy too.

It's helpful when people say what they mean, if they're wanting people to actually believe what they say. So if you mean white whole wheat flour, don't say whole wheat white flour. They're two different things.
Um sweetheart that is the NAME on the flour that I buy. Tis why I wrote it down as a product I use. If you want to analyze it further, go right ahead, but if I labeled it one way, I'm labeling it that way because that is the label on the product itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss