Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:14 AM

86 posts, read 295,264 times

Advertisements

I just finished a 4 week workout plan I found in Mens Health but now I need a new workout plan. My goal is to lose 10 pounds so I'm more focused on fat loss than bulking up. I did the Abs Diet plan before and it worked well for me but I'll probably get bored if I do that plan again. What's a good detailed plan I can follow that will help me lose weight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
As for diet, Atkins. You'll probably lose the 10 pounds within a month regardless of your workout regimen, although the average seems to be about 45 days with moderate exercise according to a recent Johns Hopkins study. In contrast, a traditional low fat diet took 77 days on average.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:42 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
As for diet, Atkins. You'll probably lose the 10 pounds within a month regardless of your workout regimen, although the average seems to be about 45 days with moderate exercise according to a recent Johns Hopkins study. In contrast, a traditional low fat diet took 77 days on average.

could you show a link to the study? I am curious why they used a "low fat" diet as a control, when the main alternatives for weight loss to the low carb plans are calorie control plans, not "traditional low fat diets".\

never mind, i found it

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...-staying-lean/

The control was diet the researchers constructed allegedly using AHA guidelines. It was not apparently an actual commercial diet - without knowing more about it (and the abstract did not have enough info) I couldn't say it was a "traditional diet".

I recommend reading the ENTIRE NYT blog post, including the caveats and references to conflicting studies.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:51 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Try the blood type approach. You can still emphasize protein if you're an A, just not red meat. If you are an O eliminating dairy & wheat while emphasizing red meat is some of the best advice you will find on this board. Whatever your blood type, don't overtrain. Let the right diet activate your metabolism & use exercise to build muscle & relieve stress. Don't use exercise to burn off calories & don't buy in to the myth that exercise is the key. 70-80% of it is diet.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:53 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
First off, ignore Lemon&Lime's advice. It's worthless. I would recommend a basic keto/carb cycling diet. It'll knock off 10 pounds fairly quick.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:09 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
I'm a big fan of Body for life. It pretty simple and basic, no gimmicks. Just workout hard (intervals for cardio and weightlifting) and eat well. Depending on what sort of shape you are in now your scale may not read 10 lbs lighter (when I was into it all the flab was eventually replaced with lean muscle). If you stick to it I'm betting you could lose pretty much all the extra flab that might be lingering.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 PM

865 posts, read 2,502,155 times
Where the heck do you get your info, lemon&lime? I second that the OP should ignore lemon's advice. Focus on eating more frequently (5-6 times a day - obviously controlling portion amount to keep overall caloric intake lower) and make your training interval based. These two things have both been demonstrated in studies to raise your metabolism. And a higher metabolism is what will make your diet effective and the weight loss permanent. And exercise IS the key. I've control my weight my entire life almost exclusive through activity level. I eat a healthy diet, but have never been on a "diet."

Old 06-28-2011, 05:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Shamelessly stolen from Aidxen, another member here:
Quote:
Beer and Ice Cream Diet

As we all know, it takes 1 calorie to heat 1 gram of water 1 degree centigrade. Translated into meaningful terms, this means that if you eat a very cold dessert (generally consisting of water in large part), the natural processes which raise the consumed dessert to body temperature during the digestive cycle literally sucks the calories out of the only available source, your body fat.

For example, a dessert served and eaten at near 0 degrees C (32.2 deg. F) will in a short time be raised to the normal body temperature of 37 degrees C (98.6 deg. F). For each gram of dessert eaten, that process takes approximately 37 calories as stated above. The average dessert portion is 6 oz, or 168 grams. Therefore, by operation of thermodynamic law, 6,216 calories (1 cal./gm/deg. x 37 deg. x 168 gms) are extracted from body fat as the dessert's temperature is normalized. Allowing for the 1,200 latent calories in the dessert, the net calorie loss is approximately 5,000 calories.

Obviously, the more cold dessert you eat,the better off you are and the faster you will lose weight, if that is your goal. This process works equally well when drinking very cold beer in frosted glasses. Each ounce of beer contains 16 latent calories, but extracts 1,036 calories (6,216 cal. per 6 oz. portion) in the temperature normalizing process. Thus the net calorie loss per ounce of beer is 1,020 calories. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to calculate that 12,240 calories (12 oz. x 1,020 cal./oz.) are extracted from the body in the process of drinking a can of beer.

Frozen desserts, e.g., ice cream, are even more beneficial, since it takes 83 cal./gm to melt them (i.e., raise them to 0 deg. C) and an additional 37 cal./gm to further raise them to body temperature. The results here are really remarkable, and it beats running hands down.

Unfortunately, for those who eat pizza as an excuse to drink beer, pizza (loaded with latent calories and served above body temperature) induces an opposite effect. But, thankfully, as the astute reader should have already reasoned, the obvious solution is to drink a lot of beer with pizza and follow up immediately with large bowls of ice cream. We could all be thin if we were to adhere religiously to a pizza, beer, and ice cream diet.
Happy eating!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchriscruz View Post
What's a good detailed plan I can follow that will help me lose weight?

There are only two ways to lose weight with a 100% success rate:

1. Change your genes.

2. The HMD Diet. (Hungry, Miserable, and Deprived)

Old 06-28-2011, 08:40 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There are only two ways to lose weight with a 100% success rate:

1. Change your genes.

2. The HMD Diet. (Hungry, Miserable, and Deprived)
What's your definition of success?

If you keep your caloric intake below what you use you will lose weight. I don't agree that you have to be hungry. That generally happens on lower fat diets, which is why folks are better able to stick with one at a higher fat level that still limits calories. I also think the gene thing is overplayed unless people are genetically predisposed to sit around on their keesters eating a bunch of junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss