Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:52 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Brad Pilon's work is shoddy at best. If you want a truly good read on intermittent fasting, read this piece by Alan Aragon.

An Objective Look at Intermittent Fasting - AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience
Nah I'm sticking with Brad & Ori Hofmekler. Both seem to know what they are doing.
Meet Brad Pilon, The Voice Behind Eat Stop Eat | Fasting for Weightloss Info (http://fastingforweightlossinfo.com/meet-brad-pilon-voice-behind-eat-stop-eat/ - broken link)

http://fastingforweightlossinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Brad-Pilon-Arms-Crossed1.jpg (broken link)

Even Joseph Mercola the Internet doctor seems to think it is a good method.

YouTube - ‪Benefits of Intermittent Fasting‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Nah I'm sticking with Brad & Ori Hofmekler. Both seem to know what they are doing.
You should add the the rest of the sentence:

You're sticking with this one, until the next one comes along and claims it is superior. Then you'll stick with that one instead.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,558,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Fasting is recommended for overall health, in Ayurvedic medicine, and has been for hundreds of years. Granted, the fasting is usually 24-48 hours with only water, combined with intense meditation, gentle yoga, and private reflection, and not on a weekly basis.
does it include or exclude an appeal for the synagogue building fund?

Old 07-08-2011, 03:20 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Nah I'm sticking with Brad & Ori Hofmekler.
I wish I could say I was surprised. Once you've picked a diet/person who tells you what you think works you instantly close off to any dissenting opinions no matter how valid they may be.

Quote:
Both seem to know what they are doing.
Brad is serviceable at best. He's done some good work and some mind numbingly bad work (read; anabolic continuum farce). Ori has written one book which is questionable in several ways and two others than failed to obtain much acclaim from serious body builders.

Oh, and Alan's resume is much more substantial than Ori's. Ori is an artist/author who has a bachelor's degree in Human Sciences. Brad's education stacks up well to Alan's as they both have bachelors and MSC in Nutrition. Alan's post academic work is much more impressive though.

AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience (http://www.alanaragon.com/Home.html - broken link)

Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
does it include or exclude an appeal for the synagogue building fund?
Included, only if you observe the mandatory Yom Kippur fast. Otherwise, it comes from the roof fund.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
I second that the OP should ignore lemon's advice.
When I was attending UNLV, I trained at Randy Couture's gym in Las Vegas. He said he was using the blood type diet when he prepped for fights and said it worked wonders for him. He must be on to something because at 44 he's one of the oldest guys to enter the octagon.

That said, I don't think its a good diet for losing weight quick. Moderator cut: language removed . Look up Dave Palumbos keto diet. The dude is kind of weird but he knows his stuff. It's basically no carb like the atkins but the saturated fat is replaced with mostly good fats, so its much healthier for you and you lose even more weight and gain more muscle.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-08-2011 at 09:11 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
When I was attending UNLV, I trained at Randy Couture's gym in Las Vegas. He said he was using the blood type diet when he prepped for fights and said it worked wonders for him. He must be on to something.
Think he can explain the scientific evidence debunking this diet? As impressive as a fighter he is, he has no formal education in science or nutrition.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Think he can explain the scientific evidence debunking this diet? As impressive as a fighter he is, he has no formal education in science or nutrition.
You think Randy does his own diets? ROFL. You'd have to talk to the many nutritionist and exercise scientist he employs if you want a good debate.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
You think Randy does his own diets? ROFL. You'd have to talk to the many nutritionist and exercise scientist he employs if you want a good debate.
Kinda my point. For all his talent in the ring, Randy is no more formally educated on the matter than most men so his personal experience with the diet is anecdotal evidence at best.

As for the debate, there really is none at this point. I've posted a handful of pieces from real doctors showing that this diet is bunk and to date, there have been no scientific counterpoints.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
As for the debate, there really is none at this point. I've posted a handful of pieces from real doctors showing that this diet is bunk and to date, there have been no scientific counterpoints.
In regards to body transformation or athletic performance? Or both? I haven't done a lot of research on that particularly diet, but I wouldn't be surprised if its bunk. Its no secret that some fighters use "voodoo science", i.e., Lyoto Machida drinks his morning urine and that's been disproved along time ago to have any sort beneficial effects. But if that's his placebo and makes him feel confident to get in the ring and swing blows with the best fighters in the world, then good for him I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss